How does a WR450f ride/feel?

12 replies to this topic
  • chatchie

Posted May 28, 2012 - 04:11 PM

How are you guys? I'm looking at an 05 and wondering if anyone can tell me what they "feel" like. I just sold my KTM 250sx and didn't like how I felt so high on the bike. It felt as though I was on top of the bike rather than "in" it, if that makes sense.

My buddies 01 CR 250 feels great and almost feels like the bike molds to you but it feels a little small as I'm 6'1 and 250 lbs.

So, whats your input? How do they feel compared to other bikes?

My KTM was an 03 by the way. All motor and cruel PDS rear shock. It tossed me AT LEAST once every ride.

• pdivizzle

Posted May 28, 2012 - 06:07 PM

the WR's all feel quite high from the factory imo. However, before even riding the bike, proper suspension set up should be addressed which includes setting thr sag and what not. they are great bikes

• Jrbuete

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Got an 05 earlier this year... Not even broken in;). Probably the most important is to get the suspension set up... I'm new to desert riding but to me it does seem a little top heavy, front tends to wash out at times... Other than that, uncork it and enjoy, best trail bike I've had! ( 90 KDX200, 92 and 94 KX500, 96 CR250 and now 05 WR450)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:17 PM

How are you guys? I'm looking at an 05 and wondering if anyone can tell me what they "feel" like. I just sold my KTM 250sx and didn't like how I felt so high on the bike. It felt as though I was on top of the bike rather than "in" it, if that makes sense.

My buddies 01 CR 250 feels great and almost feels like the bike molds to you but it feels a little small as I'm 6'1 and 250 lbs.

So, whats your input? How do they feel compared to other bikes?

My KTM was an 03 by the way. All motor and cruel PDS rear shock. It tossed me AT LEAST once every ride.

Coming from a 250sx... the yamaha will feel HEAVY. it will also feel a little lethargic (but its not).

The KTM seated position has you seeming sitting higher in attack position. You kinda sit down inside the yamaha. its a very Japanese feel if that means anything. I find the Yamaha much more comfortable when sitting.

the PDS suspension is actually pretty good, its just not good stock. you gotta get it revalved. Same goes for the yamaha. It needs to be reworked.

I love my wr450. its an 05. I just went through it and redid everything. It will last a long, long, long time...

At 6-1 and 250, you should have no problem handling the wr450. I am 5-9, about 215 and I handle mine just fine.

• Bandit9

Posted May 29, 2012 - 06:31 PM

It will feel super stable compared to the KTM. Don't try and ride it like the KTM. Just go with it and look a little further down the trail. You have to plan a little more in advance, can't just brake and cut, more like let off, use engine braking, then roll it back on. You get to brake sliding a lot and it will wear you out. Same with the throttle. It's fun the rip it, but all that torque will wear you out quick. I didn't like it at first, but now I love the stability.

• pdivizzle

Posted May 29, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Get a steering damper, and if you want a WR that feels a little more like a race bike, get one with an alloy frame...they are based directly off the YZ platform

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chatchie

Posted May 30, 2012 - 06:25 PM

I didnt really like the "race bike" feel. I'm a fat guy that rides woods. I think the WR is right up my alley. Saturday I'm going to go overpay for a low mile plated 05'.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 30, 2012 - 07:32 PM

I didnt really like the "race bike" feel. I'm a fat guy that rides woods. I think the WR is right up my alley. Saturday I'm going to go overpay for a low mile plated 05'.

You will like the bike. I know I like mine and keep a second bike when I want the race feel.

but... why overpay? Remember, its a 450. Plan on spending about $500 for a new piston and to get the valves cleaned up. Maybe a little less. it will run like new.

• capt justin

Posted May 30, 2012 - 07:45 PM

they feel eavy compared to my 250 2t, but more of a plush ride.

• MaxPower

Posted May 30, 2012 - 08:04 PM

I think riding in Mass you are not going to enjoy it as much as another bike. The Steel frame 450 are heavy and feel heavy.
If you do decide on it send the fork and shock to Factory Connection. To me my 450 feels like I have a SX 250 in each pocket.
How tall are you? The WR isn't a small bike

• n16ht5

Posted May 30, 2012 - 10:30 PM

it's like a modern XR400. super smooth, comfy, not so light, but really tractable and fast.

• chatchie

Posted May 31, 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm 6'1" so a tall bike is fine. Im also more of a casual rider as I'm not in fantastic shape so going all out on a bike wears me out in 10 minutes.

What are the prices on 04-07 WRs in your guys areas? The average price for a good condition bike around here is $2800-3200. The one I'm looking at is excellent and is street titled (which is a big deal in Mass) with a Baja Designs kit but its closer to $4000.

I don't mind paying for better quality but these bikes seem to be very high priced for their age.

• MaxPower

Posted May 31, 2012 - 06:39 PM

try to get a aluminum frame model if you can. Use searchtemmpest.com to lump all your wr craigslist searches into one place. when I tell you its heavy, im not kidding. Before you lay your cash out grab it under the fender and put it up on a stand. My 450 is living its life as a Super Moto now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.