09 wr fork tube

5 replies to this topic
  • madroberts07

Posted May 28, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hey does anybody know what material the bottom peice of the fork tube is maid out of? (the peice that holds the brake caliper and axle) I'm wondering if I can weld it. Last weekend me and anouther rider had a head on collision and one of the bolts that holds the fork guard got ripped out, its slitely cracked and the threads are gone. I was hopeing that I can weld it then drill and retap it. that may be hard to do if its magnesium.

Edited by madroberts07, May 28, 2012 - 02:13 PM.

• pdivizzle

Posted May 28, 2012 - 02:57 PM

my guess would be plain ole aluminum, but i may be wrong

• kawi380

Posted May 29, 2012 - 05:14 AM

Pretty sure it is made of aluminum but most likely a cast part. You will need to be pretty careful welding on it...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • madroberts07

Posted June 02, 2012 - 11:14 AM

thanks for the info

• MANIAC998

Posted June 03, 2012 - 04:47 AM

Is it in good enough shape to just install a Heli-coil and continue using? I don't know about you, but I prefer a well working front brake!!! And yes, it's good old aluminum, and is cast.

• Rocky739

Posted June 04, 2012 - 01:03 PM

Yep. They are aluminum but you would have to remove it from the Chrome tube as there is most likely a o-ring in there. A suspension shop can remove it if you don't have a tube clamp etc...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.