All of my friends are going orange...............

50 replies to this topic
  • beer_studd_76

Posted October 27, 2003 - 09:33 PM

And 0.7 hours later white smoke was billowing from the pipe. Sad but true, I warned the guy as I had a 520 MXC which was nothing but trouble.

. . .which will be covered under warranty. i wonder if the blue warranty would cover in the same circumstances? oh, that's right, there is no blue warranty. :) my mistake.

jeremiah

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 27, 2003 - 10:53 PM

that's right, there is no blue warranty. my mistake.

Beer stud, Your point is made!! Yes, we know that your bike is much better than ours!! It's okay!! We know......

You see, I started this thread with good intentions.. It's a compliment that all my friends are buying the brand of motorcycle that you own... I think we all understand how you really feel about the Yamahas... Take this thread and put it in your pocket and smile knowing you've made the right decision on owning a KTM.. Their great bikes....And my friends agree with you..

That's it.....

be happy..... :)

ps. We have a board here for KTMs.. You'll love those guys.. They do nothing but talk about those cool orange bikes.. Pretty nice guys there too..... You should check it out...

• rpadgett2

Posted October 28, 2003 - 05:59 AM

Would have to agree on the parts issue with KTM's. My local dealer stocks nothing. You can find them online pretty easy.

Then again my local dealer is a Moose distributor and he does not stock one jersey.

I don't even go there to buy oil!

Later

• beer_studd_76

Posted October 28, 2003 - 08:46 AM

a couple things you should know

1) if yamaha still made a 2 stroke WR, i'd probably have one.

2) i'd just as soon own a yamaha 4 stroke as a KTM 4

3) if someone says "i don't like the way the KTM feels" or "i like the way the WR handles better," "i like yahamas more," then i say "no problem. subjective judgements are not open to critique."

4) but when someone says, "KTMs are inherently un reliable," or "KTMs have way more problems than japanese bikes," or "KTM is all about marketing," that's when i have to ridicule and call BS.

5) if someone said the same thing about yamahas i'd call them out too.

jeremiah

• Hick

Posted October 28, 2003 - 09:24 AM

Would have to agree on the parts issue with KTM's. My local dealer stocks nothing. You can find them online pretty easy.

In my (limited) experience NCY (North County Yamaha - Escondido CA) stocks a ton of KTM parts, they've had everything I've ever ordered (from bolts to gears). I was told they are the largest KTM dealer in NA.

800-225-1629

• jbrownmxr

Posted October 28, 2003 - 10:25 AM

I bought my KTM from NCY and over the next 18 months had to order MANY parts. Over 1/2 were on "back order", on many occasions the WRONG parts were ordered or shipped. I quit going to them entirely for parts and service, sold the bike, and never looked back.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted October 28, 2003 - 10:44 AM

About a month ago my good friend John notified me that he cashed in on some investments and had a little money left over to buy himself a new dirtbike. I told him nothing but great things about my WR450f, infact he even told me to hook him up with a good deal on one, before I could he went out and bought himself a killer 04 KTM450EXC. Just this week I found out two of my closest friends (Johnny and son, Derrik) ordered two KTM525EXC's from Florida. Also this week my buddy Bob bought himself and my other friend Joel two more KTM525EXC's from the same dealer.... We're talking 5 new orange bikes within a month's time.....And it's not like I have a million friends. All of these guys had Honda XR's and wanted more performance with a little less weight.. None of them bought a Yamaha... Now it's just me and my dad carrying the blue torch..... :)

Boy you don't pick the smartest guys as your friends do you :D :D

Actually I like the orange bikes, they will be the only thing you will be able to DS after the start of the year. I like my Yamaha better in the desert, or on fast fire roads, but the KTM 450 seems to be a little better in the single tracks. The 525 is a great machine, but that is a lot of rotating mass...

• Hick

Posted October 28, 2003 - 11:40 AM

I bought my KTM from NCY and over the next 18 months had to order MANY parts. Over 1/2 were on "back order", on many occasions the WRONG parts were ordered or shipped. I quit going to them entirely for parts and service, sold the bike, and never looked back.

Wow.

Our experiences w/ NCY could not be more disparate. I'm not sure I can recall them ever shipping me the wrong part, and I bet they have at least $3k of my money, all for Yamaha and KTM parts.

Also, if parts are really on backorder the onus is on the KTM parts supply.

• Jpfrk

Posted October 28, 2003 - 02:03 PM

I am sensing a lot of negativity here about the WR series bikes, and yet this is the forum where the people who love them should be hanging out in. I am currently looking into buying a WR of some size (400 or 426). Should I be looking at KTM's instead? I've looked at them a little but I've heard that same thing about parts and stuff being hard to find and more expensive, is this really true? I've been a Yamy fan for years as well as a Honda fan, and I'm even looking at CRF450's, are they a good bike?

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted October 28, 2003 - 02:13 PM

I am sensing a lot of negativity here about the WR series bikes, and yet this is the forum where the people who love them should be hanging out in. I am currently looking into buying a WR of some size (400 or 426). Should I be looking at KTM's instead? I've looked at them a little but I've heard that same thing about parts and stuff being hard to find and more expensive, is this really true? I've been a Yamy fan for years as well as a Honda fan, and I'm even looking at CRF450's, are they a good bike?

The CRF is a great bike, but it is more like a YZ, you have to shift it a lot, there is a narrow powerband. The KTMs have E-Start, and a lot of goodies out of the factory.

I LOVE my WR. Now that I know how to start it. My buddy has a 03 KTM 525, and there is no way he can pull away from me until we get above 60mph. There are not too many fire roads that you do 60 on.

If you can find yourself an 03 WR450, it has E-Start and is bulletproof. Just do not pull in the clutch and back down a hill. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted October 28, 2003 - 02:14 PM

Should I be looking at KTM's instead? I've looked at them a little but I've heard that same thing about parts and stuff being hard to find and more expensive, is this really true? I've been a Yamy fan for years as well as a Honda fan, and I'm even looking at CRF450's, are they a good bike?

I think if you rounded up all the sane and reasonably objective TTalkers and polled them you'd find that it amounts to picking your favorite color. There are no real universal advantages, all bikes have their occational warts.

The CRF is the intake valves
KTM is the cam bearings
WR is the woodruff key

I have an '03 CRF. Great bike, very versatile. A friend has a 525 SX that we converted to a 6 speed. Great bike, but I like my rear suspension better, OTOH I'm sure there is a lot of room for improvement (ala Race Tech revalve or similar). The WR is heavy, but it does have the e button. The EXC does too and is probably lighter.

Before you pull your hair out trying to decide (I did), consider your local supply of dealers. Depending upon your situation that may be more of a factor than anything else...

• Jpfrk

Posted October 28, 2003 - 02:21 PM

I've noticed from a lot of my reading that the WR series bikes are inherantly tricky to get started, but I am patient and will learn and adjust to it. I am only looking at spending around 3500$ on a bike so the KTM's probably won't fit in that picture as well as the WR's do. Tell me, are these bikes a solid machine, I ask this b/c this post tends to make a reader believe their not. I really want a WR400/426 as I've had my eye on them for a few years now. I want to buy a bike that's not going to be a headache to keep up. Also, at 5'11" and 215lbs would the WR250 be enough bike? I rode one and thought they might but I also rode a YZF426 and thought, now that's what I need!!!! Most of the riding I will be doing will be trail/desert mix stuff.

• RichBaker

Posted October 28, 2003 - 03:09 PM

And 0.7 hours later white smoke was billowing from the pipe. Sad but true, I warned the guy as I had a 520 MXC which was nothing but trouble.

. . .which will be covered under warranty. i wonder if the blue warranty would cover in the same circumstances? oh, that's right, there is no blue warranty. :) my mistake.
jeremiah

Yamaha gives a 30 day warranty with the WRs, I think the YZs get it too...... :D

• SFO

Posted October 28, 2003 - 04:49 PM

Ricko76: Now you're talking sense!! I don't have any stock in any of these companies either..I've always been partial to Honda's anyway but they don't seem to be too interested in my style of riding (SLOW AND JERKY) :D :lol:In my former life I was a total Husky freak but that was before they moved to Spain, the weather is too nice there and they don't have as much time to work on bikes as they did in Sweden... :D

Husky moved to Spain? :)

• Hick

Posted October 28, 2003 - 05:16 PM

Tell me, are these bikes a solid machine, I ask this b/c this post tends to make a reader believe their not. I really want a WR400/426 as I've had my eye on them for a few years now.

That bike is as solid and indestructable as any four stroke racing motorcycle you are going to find anywhere past or present, period.

Solamente es mi dos centavos..

• Hick

Posted October 28, 2003 - 05:18 PM

...four stroke racing motorcycle...

Translation: It ain't an XR.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted October 28, 2003 - 05:46 PM

I've noticed from a lot of my reading that the WR series bikes are inherantly tricky to get started, but I am patient and will learn and adjust to it. I am only looking at spending around 3500$ on a bike so the KTM's probably won't fit in that picture as well as the WR's do. Tell me, are these bikes a solid machine, I ask this b/c this post tends to make a reader believe their not. I really want a WR400/426 as I've had my eye on them for a few years now. I want to buy a bike that's not going to be a headache to keep up. Also, at 5'11" and 215lbs would the WR250 be enough bike? I rode one and thought they might but I also rode a YZF426 and thought, now that's what I need!!!! Most of the riding I will be doing will be trail/desert mix stuff.

You can get a WR426 in good shape for 3500. I think the 250 would be a little under powered considering your <cough, cough> weight..

You can putt the WR, you can't putt the YZ.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted October 28, 2003 - 06:32 PM

all i can say is please keep buying those ktm's people!i make lots of money off of them.im glad ktm sells every one they make.job security.

when i talk to a ktm owner that i just did the tranny or cam bearings or whatever all they can say is how good it is.when i hand them the bill,they usually ask what i ride.my answer is "not a ktm". :) :D :D

• PMAUST

Posted October 28, 2003 - 06:55 PM

Those dang orange bikes! :D Who would want to ride one of those things anyway!!! All they do is break and then you can't get parts for them so have to take up fishing or something just to have something to do.

I'm sure glad I don't have one of those POS things that is broke all the time. :D :D :D

:) :D :D

• huskyrider

Posted October 28, 2003 - 07:31 PM

It still shocks me that guys can dog other riders motorcycles just because of the color.
I always purchase bikes based on what I like about one or dislike about another.
The best bike is always the one most well suited for your particular needs.
JPfrk, the biggest bike isn't necessarily the best. In tight woods my younger bro on an almost 8 yr old XR250 can leave me like I'm parked.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.