How good is the 09 front brake?

3 replies to this topic
  • Bigdong

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:04 AM

Ive just bought myself a really tidy yzf 450 09 but the front brake is nowhere near as good as i would like it, I struggle to lock it up even fully pulling in the lever, ive tried the obvious like bleeding it completely but was wondering if the 09 just has a poor brake?

Ive seen in other posts other people using crf pads and things, would this be possible for the 09 or am i simply missing something?

• RiderX

Posted May 28, 2012 - 03:31 PM

You might try flushing the brake fluid before replacing it with a CRF unit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bigdong

Posted May 30, 2012 - 12:51 PM

You might try flushing the brake fluid before replacing it with a CRF unit.

So the yzf brake is usually very good then? I will try completely draining it. and let you know what happens. thx

• cereal killer

Posted May 30, 2012 - 01:35 PM

I presume that your '09 brake is the same as my '08? There's no way you should have to fully pull in the lever. I can bring my front tire to a skidding halt on most terrain with one finger.

Are your fork seals leaking? I've had them leak before on other bikes and foul up the pads. If they are, you can try cleaning the seals out with a piece of film or a plain business card (after sliding the dust seals out of the way).

Also try taking the pads out and having a look at them. I've had success cleaning them up with some dish detergent and a stiff brush (when they've been fouled by a leaking fork seal), then spraying them with brake cleaner to remove any soap residue. Might want to scuff them with a piece of sandpaper after they're clean too in case the residue has baked-on from the heat generated by braking.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.