7 replies to this topic
  • dhvann

Posted September 14, 2001 - 01:55 PM

I stripped my bike down today to grease the steering head and the swingarm. In the process I stripped the head on one of the lower fork bolts. Do you think it would hurt to ride (moderately) until the replacement comes in. I hate to have to wait weeks for one stinking bolt!

• Chiledog!

Posted September 14, 2001 - 02:40 PM

You should have no problems the 426 has so much power the front wheel is never on the ground anyway. I am just kidding about the no problems. Did the bolt head strip after you loosened it or is it still tight? If it is still tight then I don't see much of a problem riding it but if it broke free then don't do it. What about going to the automotive store and getting a bolt to put in there temp.? Hopefully I have been a little bit of help to ya!

Keep it pinned!

• dhvann

Posted September 14, 2001 - 04:31 PM

I had to remove it with a screw extractor. So basically I'm missing one of my fork bolts. I would like to try ride tomorrow anyway, even if I just take it easy. Let me know what you think.

• dirtbikebd

Posted September 14, 2001 - 06:02 PM

Well, one time I rode withthe upper bolts on one side loose once, of course I didn't know, and nothing happened. But something I wouldn't recommend doing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted September 14, 2001 - 07:33 PM

If it were me I would wait for a bolt. The parts store is a good idea though. Your local Napa or other full parts store should have a bolt in stock with the same threads which you can use at least temporairily.

• Boit

Posted September 14, 2001 - 11:21 PM

Exactly what bolt are we talking about? A bolt from the lower triple clamp? Axle clamp? If you are contemplating riding without ANY of the triple clamp bolts missing, I would advise against it. There are tremendous torque forces at work on these clamps and if you lose clamping integrity while landing from a jump, you are in serious trouble. A fork leg suddenly coming up through a failed clamp could smack you in the throat or chest. Why chance it?

As an example of what can happen when a rider ignores a mechanical problem, a local CR rider raced with his clutch lever end ball broken off and had a crash. The lever was like a spear and punctured his heart. He died before the paramedics could reach him. The ball end of your levers are designed that way to prevent this tragedy. They are meant to break off in a crash and then the lever(s) should be replaced as soon as possible. Do what it takes to fix a broken bolt and don't risk your life to save a few bucks. Otay?

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited September 15, 2001).]

• MX_Tuner

Posted September 15, 2001 - 07:16 AM

Lowes or Home Depot have large selections of standard metric fasteners. The lower triple calmp bolt only torques to 14 lb/ft. They should have one that will work fine.

MX Tuner

• dhvann

Posted September 15, 2001 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I stopped by a hardware store on the way out to the track. I paid 35 cents for a bolt that my Yamaha dealership is going to charge me $1.75 for!

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.