KTM 500 XC-W

10 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 26, 2012 - 02:54 PM

I should have bought the WR450F instead....

The KTM has issues. I've ridden both now, and do NOT like the KTM on so many levels.

Primarily, this thing is incredibly underpowered, and under suspended.

For any riding other than 25mph and below, it is a poor choice of motorcycle in my opinion.
And yes, it's been uncorked, FI tuner installed, re-sprung and re-valved (twice) etc etc.

Just thought anyone who might be on the fence between the WR and the 2012 KTM XC line, all I have to say is this:

The KTM is noticably light and easy to throw around. It flies with ease.

....that's about it for the positives....

I will not respond to this post with any specific details about the KTM, as the moderators appear to be tired of what they call " KTM bashing".....even if it's a calm discussion about the odd weaknesses and lack of factory assistance regarding the 2012 KTM products.

PM me if needed.

• scottiesbe

Posted May 26, 2012 - 03:13 PM

I should have bought the WR450F instead....

The KTM has issues. I've ridden both now, and do NOT like the KTM on so many levels.

Primarily, this thing is incredibly underpowered, and under suspended.

For any riding other than 25mph and below, it is a poor choice of motorcycle in my opinion.
And yes, it's been uncorked, FI tuner installed, re-sprung and re-valved (twice) etc etc.

Just thought anyone who might be on the fence between the WR and the 2012 KTM XC line, all I have to say is this:

The KTM is noticably light and easy to throw around. It flies with ease.

....that's about it for the positives....

I will not respond to this post with any specific details about the KTM, as the moderators appear to be tired of what they call " KTM bashing".....even if it's a calm discussion about the odd weaknesses and lack of factory assistance regarding the 2012 KTM products.

PM me if needed.

that was a big mistake buying a dp enduro bike smogged down for CARB & thinking you could ride moto x!, try the dungey replica,or the new kxf450 or service honda cr500
stay away from the yammy enduro bike!

• MANIAC998

Posted May 26, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the insight Krannie. To bad you had to find out the hard way though! I have to wonder about the new WR though too. I'm sure it steers a little bit quicker, but it certainly isn't any lighter than the old model. And only being able to go 30 to 40 miles before hitting reserve is a big turn-off for me too. I know, I know, a bigger tank will be available soon, but for an off-road bike, that kind of fuel range, stock, is unacceptable. My gut tells me that it won't out-perform my '06 either, engine-wise. I could be wrong on that, as it's only how I see Fuel Injection working compared to carbs.

So to sum it all up. The new '12 WR is heavier, less fuel range, more complex, and has no more performance than the older model it replaces. I think I'll hold onto my '06!!!

Maniac

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the insight Krannie. To bad you had to find out the hard way though! I have to wonder about the new WR though too. I'm sure it steers a little bit quicker, but it certainly isn't any lighter than the old model. And only being able to go 30 to 40 miles before hitting reserve is a big turn-off for me too. I know, I know, a bigger tank will be available soon, but for an off-road bike, that kind of fuel range, stock, is unacceptable. My gut tells me that it won't out-perform my '06 either, engine-wise. I could be wrong on that, as it's only how I see Fuel Injection working compared to carbs.

So to sum it all up. The new '12 WR is heavier, less fuel range, more complex, and has no more performance than the older model it replaces. I think I'll hold onto my '06!!!

Maniac

Maniac, I looked at the price of the new KTM and the new Yamaha wr450 and decided it was time for a frame up restoration of my 05 (spent $1000 and it runs just like new). If I needed a new bike that would be one thing, but I still could not justify (not this year) trading a bike that has served me wonderfully for seven years. Its cheaper nowadays to buy a couple of different used bikes instead of the one perfect bike.

I wonder if the problems with completely controlling the ignition and FI on the KTM prevented Krannie from dialing it in to his liking. That is a MAJOR drawback on the KTM's

The previous year WR's are just too damn good. When I get some money to spend on a new bike, I may rethink this. But it would be because I "want" a new bike and not because I "need" one.

Edited by mauricedorris, May 27, 2012 - 08:12 AM.

• BoiseBee

Posted May 27, 2012 - 07:01 PM

I test rode a KTM 500 XC-W about the time my 2012 WR came in (since there were no 450 XC-W's in town to test), and didn't find the power to be "under-powered", but definitely didn't find it to have more power than Yammi. What did surprise me was the how much vibration the KTM had, and the fact that the stock suspension was no where close to as good as the WR.... Sorry you're regretting your decision Krannie.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted May 28, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Sure glad I got the WR instead of a KTM now..

So why did you go orange?

• J D R

Posted May 28, 2012 - 04:36 PM

i just think the new ktm is made for more woods riding I love my new 450 on tight woods trails its amazing I have 325 miles on it no issues at all the jd tuner made a huge difference

• kawi380

Posted May 29, 2012 - 05:13 AM

To each his own. I have never really been comfortable riding any KTM. Sure, they are nice but I just seem to fit better on a jap bike. Bad luck this time Krannie :cry:

Did the mods really shut you down for bad mouthing your own bike :cry:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 29, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Seems like the same old song and dance from the OP. Buy yammi...sell....buy....selll etc.

• MaxPower

Posted May 30, 2012 - 09:46 PM

I see alot of Orange bikes at off road events.Im surprised to hear your opinion. What did you own before this Krannie? Are you coming from a quad or a Harley?
Im sure you could sell it as it's so new and move up to a WR

• 5hunge

Posted May 30, 2012 - 09:46 PM

While i agree the ktm could use a bit more oomph, going to a 12 WR is definately going backwards imho. I sold my WR 4fiddy to buy the kt5. The kt can chug if you make it but its a rever 4 when you really want to ride. The egro's are better on the KT for me @ 5'11 infact perfect actually. The KTM 500 also feels so much lighter and more flickable through technical stuff. Where the yammie wins for me is its smoooth real smooth compared to the deisel like rattly KTM, but if smooth was a major priority i would have bought a goldwing sewing machine not a thumper. Each to their own. Bring on a modern,direct injected, 500 smoker

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.