97 kx125 won't start

12 replies to this topic
  • meqcard

Posted May 25, 2012 - 02:21 PM

Alright my bud just bought a 97 kx125 and it ran fine when he first picked it up, absolutely no bogging. When we get back and started it up it started bogging when riding in first gear at about 1/4 throttle. He shut it off and we were going to see what the problem was a couple days later. Just for kicks it started up and everything seemed fine, he rode for about 45 minutes and then just cut out. It wouldn't kick over. We replaced the spark plug and it is getting spark. Air filter is clean, we poured about a teaspoon of premix down the spark plug hole and back fired once. Tried bump starting it in 2nd n still nothing. Took it apart and seems like its getting gas flow thru the carb, the reeds look good (were a little stiff, thought they should flex a little), there was also a small metal chunk behind the reeds which makes me wonder how the cylinder and piston are. The owner also said he replaced the piston and was partially broken in, wouldn't think 45 mins of casual riding would cause this problem. Any info or sugguestions would be appreciated.

• Mrbinkels

Posted May 25, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Pull off the exhaust and look at the piston on the exhaust side. See if there's any mushing of the piston material over the rings.

• meqcard

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Piston and rings look brand new. Also, before we took it apart and tried bump starting it in 2nd, the bike could push in gear without the clutch engaged almost as easy as if it were to be in neutral.

• meqcard

Posted May 27, 2012 - 01:28 PM

bump

• mictheaussie

Posted May 27, 2012 - 02:23 PM

How hard is it to kick over? Does it feel like there is compression when kicking it?
Check the woodruff key on the flywheel isn't sheared. I completely rebuilt my kx125 and didn't recheck the flywheel bolt. It came loose and the key sheared. It would only backfire every now and then when I kicked it over.

• meqcard

Posted May 28, 2012 - 12:15 PM

I've heard of others having the same problem and have a good hunch that the woodruff key is sheared, the previous owner must of forgot to tighten the flywheel bolt after he put in a new piston. I'll check the woodruff key but I have never took off a topend before, any tips would be appreciated. I have a general idea and some diagrams but I know these can be tricky.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KDXGarage

Posted May 28, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Generally, the flywheel would not be taken off during top end work.

• mictheaussie

Posted May 28, 2012 - 06:53 PM

Don't need to take off the top end. Just remove the stator cover next to the shifter and it is in there. It takes less than 5 mins.

• ZGILBERT93

Posted May 29, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Don't need to take off the top end. Just remove the stator cover next to the shifter and it is in there. It takes less than 5 mins.

KDX has a good point. Why would the previous owner be taking apart the flywheel to replace the top end? Most likely not the flywheel....

• mictheaussie

Posted May 29, 2012 - 07:33 AM

KDX has a good point. Why would the previous owner be taking apart the flywheel to replace the top end? Most likely not the flywheel....

Doesn't mean it it hasn't happened. Like the people who take their car in to get the brakes fixed and a week later the transmission fails. Totally unrelated but machines fail. It is an easy check and something I'd at least look at before tearing into the top end.

• meqcard

Posted May 30, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Is there any other way of getting the flywheel off without using a flywheel puller?

• meqcard

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Found the problem. The woodruff key is fine, however, two of the wires connecting to the stator broke off. If anyone has one for sale or are parting out please let me know. thanks

• benellibrian

Posted June 12, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Sounds like piston to me .

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.