DRILLING BRAKE CALIPERS?

5 replies to this topic
  • sam

Posted April 20, 2001 - 01:43 AM

I'VE SEEN SOME CALIPERS THAT HAVE BEEN DRILLED OR MILLED ON THE BACK.IE YOU CAN SEE THE DISC THROUGH THE BACK OF THE CALIPER. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO AID COOLING AND HELP WITH CLEANING. ANY ONE TRIED IT EVER??

SAM

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 20, 2001 - 04:14 AM

Sam, I've never seen this, however, I've never had my brake pad overheat nor have I had any negative effects on braking even riding in the muddiest conditions. If there is a benefit, I can't imagine it is a lot. :)

• trailguy

Posted April 20, 2001 - 04:56 AM

Sounds like a great way to let mud and any other debris in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted April 20, 2001 - 05:04 AM

I've not seen a caliper drilled with cooling holes, but have had rear brakes overheat to the point they did not work.

There are a two long downhill trails where this problem has happened. Both were over 1000ft elevation drop and we stopped to wait for the riding group at the bottom. The rear brake overheated while we were stopped because the rotor was boiling hot and the airflow wasn't there to cool it. So now I'm more aware of the potential problem and take it easier near the bottom or just idle around in circles for a minute to let it cool before parking to wait. Also, I check that the brake works when we take off again. In each instance the brake came back after riding and pumping the brake pedal.

James

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted April 20, 2001 - 07:04 AM

I went riding with a guy last week whose rear brake got so hot that the fluid overflowed. I spit on the caliper and it sizzled. It came to his attention when he realized that he had no rear brake stopping power. After we pulled over and checked it out, we saw that the fluid had leaked out, but there were no obvious holes or damaged seals. While it was still hot, the braked dragged the rotor a lot. Once the brake cooled, it worked OK again. I still don't know why that happened, since all the riding was on flat land. (no long downhills) The only thing I can figure is that he'd been accidentally riding the brake.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 20, 2001 - 08:25 AM

On my older KX250 I once had my rear caliper lock up from heat. It started dragging because a tiny ass little pin hole in the master cylinder got partially plugged and caused the brake to drag a little. I was a long ways from camp and had to ride back. It would lock up about every 3-4 minutes of riding because of the heat build up. It turned the disk blue and warped it by the time I finally got back to camp. Anyways that would be my experience with rear brake temperatures!!
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.