Quick Point

No replies to this topic
  • Roostie_1

Posted September 13, 2001 - 05:59 AM

I don't have much time right now, but I just wanted to bring up a quick point that I haven't heard anyone talk about yet. In the months and years to come measures will be made to "increase security" and "prevent future occurences" by both the Canadian and US governments (probably all around the world). I would hope that we as Canadians/Americans/Citizens of the free world will not act as sheep and let the government take away any of our liberties.
In a survey conducted yesterday (in the States) - people were asked if they would trade some liberties for increased safety - 66% responded yes and 10% declined to answer. To me this is incredible. Are they serious? I don't wish to have my home searched on a regular basis. I don't want to have my car searched everytime I get pulled over for a burnt out tail light. I like things just the way they are.

Should Canada tighten up their Immigration laws? Yes, I have thought this for a long time. Should we give up our right to freedom and liberty? No! The terrorists that commited the horrific acts of 9-11 were not merely lucky, and they didn't get in because of lax laws or poor customs policies. These guys were professionals. They were likely brought up their whole lives to do something like this. Do you think that increased airport security or better immigration laws could have prevented this? I seriously doubt it. They used weapons that are utensils and made a bomb out of an airplane. How do you prevent that?

Anyways my point is this - don't let yourself or our countrypersons get railroaded into trading your Liberties and freedoms for a false sense of added security.

Two qoutes:

1. "Give me Liberty or give me death"

This one is a little on the extreme side for this day and age, but applicable none the less.

And my favorite:

2. "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

- Benjamin Franklin

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.