CLUTCH QUESTION

9 replies to this topic
  • gal

Posted September 13, 2001 - 05:31 AM

I HEARD FROM ONE OF THE THREADS THAT I CAN REPLACE THE FRICTION PLATE(Y5JG 16321 00 00),CLUTCH BOSS SPRING(Y5JG 16383 00 00) AND THE SEAT PLATE (Y5JG 16384 00 00) IN MY 2000 426 AND IT WILL IMPROVE CLUTCH ACTION. WHAT DO U THINK?
ARE THIS PARTS ARE THE SAME PARTS IN THE YZ426 2001 N THE WR426 2001?

• Boit

Posted September 14, 2001 - 04:14 PM

While I can't confirm if you have the correct parts and part #'s, you are certainly correct that there is a clutch fix using '01 parts. I think "Hick" posted these parts and #'s a while back. Try search for his posts and see. He's a good guy and is very helpful and knowledgable.

As a side not, I just spent an hour searching the archives and can't seem to locate the post that listed the parts and #'s for this clutch fix. Sorry. Ferry's mechanic even posted a description for this upgrade but it lacked part #'s. The title of the post is "BK...clutch oiling".

Ooops....yes, I meant '01 parts. Thanks for pointing that out.

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited September 14, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited September 14, 2001).]

• KasperMX

Posted September 14, 2001 - 04:54 PM

using 01 parts you meant

• Hick

Posted September 14, 2001 - 06:25 PM

I am good for the part numbers, but I have not tried the swap, and so for that matter can’t even guarantee these are the right PNs, but I got them from NCY and just verified them on Parts Fish.

5JG-16321-00-00 01 YZ First Friction Plate
5JG-16383-00-00 Clutch Boss Spring
5JG-16384-00-00 Seat Plate

I own both an '00 YZ, which I put many hard hours on, and an '01 YZ, which I bought new about 3 mo.s ago. The prices I wrote down for the above parts total forty-one bucks (Parts Fish - $44). IMO this is most definitely something that is worth looking into for any ’00 owner. As I said I don’t know that it will work, but have heard that it is an easy swap.

For reasons not limited to the grabby, chattery operation (is that why some guys call ‘em diesels?) I spent $200 (if they cost more than that don’t remind me, let me enjoy my delusion) to put a Hinson basket in my ’00 soon after I bought it (12/00) and it helped tremendously, but still, back to back, the clutch in my ’01 is worlds better.

And that is coming from a guy who rarely uses it (no motocross out here). If that is the only real difference between the ’00 and ’01 clutch then you are only about forty bucks away from clutch-nirvana (compared to how crappy MY ’00 was, anyway).

That’s my two cents.

BTW the way, on the Fish, between the two models, the (other) friction plates are the same PN, and so is the boss, but not the basket (no surprise there).

Hope this helps.

And I just have to add that I hope Bin Laden sleeps well tonight, because his days are numbered, and his eternal doom is assured. If he thinks his martyrdom will lead him to paradise I’m pretty certain he is in for a fiery surprise, in more ways than one.

Sorry for the tangent, but I’m still a little pissed. Tomorrow I’m gonna enjoy my privileges and rights as a fortunate citizen of the most prosperous and free country on earth and go on a long hard ride in the desert, maybe then I’ll feel a little better.

• Hick

Posted September 14, 2001 - 06:38 PM

I forgot to mention that the entire "clutch" fiche for the '01 WR and YZ is the same on Parts Fish, and that knowing Bin Laden is doomed while I'm out enjoying being an American is what will make me feel better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted September 14, 2001 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for your input, Hick. Since this tragedy, I haven't been able to get excited about riding. I would rather help my country and fellow countrymen. With so much suffering, how can I enjoy myself?

• mor

Posted September 25, 2001 - 11:39 PM

just got the parts i listed above, can someone explain to me how to change it pls?

• Matt_W

Posted September 26, 2001 - 03:57 PM

Below is the schematic for the 2001 YZ426 Clutch. I've labled the 3 parts w/part numbers to replace in the 2000 model. I expect to receive my parts tomorrow, and I'll be sure to let everyone know if this fixes cures the hideous "Grabby Clutch".

Mor,
First and foremost you need to soak the 3 new parts in oil for a few hours prior to installing them. Then you just need to remove the clutch cover, and the 6 clutch springs and bolts underneat that hold the pressure plate. Remove the first 8 clutch plates and 8 friction plates. Replace the 9th friction plate with the 01' friction plate as well as the 01' anti-judder spring and 01' seat plate.

The 2000 model schematic does not show any such thing as an anti-judder spring or seat plate, but both models have 8 clutch plates and 9 friction plates.

Posted Image

------------------
Matt W
00 YZ426F
94 YZ 250
http://www.mattwilliard.com
"Don't worry about me, how's my bike ?"

[This message has been edited by Matt W (edited September 26, 2001).]

• Chris_Slade

Posted September 26, 2001 - 06:39 PM

Boit, Hick, we need to go riding as much a possible in the worst crap we can find. Then we can mount some AK's on our bars and really re-define "Mobile Infantry" for them all.
Yamaha AK-426 and a KT(M-16)520 brandished company anyone?

This clutch problem by the way, is it where you let the clutch out slowly, like normal, and it all of the sudden grabs and takes off, making a sqeaky noise? My dads 00 426 does that...

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• holeshot

Posted September 26, 2001 - 07:13 PM

The anti-judder spring has the word "OUTSIDE" stamped on it. Install it on top of the seat plate with the word facing toward you.

I've installed the parts on my '00, and since then, the clutch has worked smoothly. These parts are worth every penny (IMHO).

------------------
Holeshot's Page

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.