Project TTR: "Buck Twenty Five"

49 replies to this topic
  • Slick_Nick

Posted May 22, 2012 - 12:47 PM

Picked up a used, abused, 2004 TTR125E for the girlfriend. Bought it for $800. (Up here in Canada, that's a steal! These bikes in average shape are fetching over $1400, while good condition ones go for $2000!) Got it from a "friend of a friend" who just wants it gone. For that price, even with a buggered engine, I couldn't pass it up.

The good: Frame is straight, suspension is solid, everything works, battery is strong, seat is comfy, and most importantly everything is there! The (soon to be) wifey LOVES this bike. Its her first year riding, she fits it well (5'5") and she loves the electric start.

The bad: The Engine is facked. It goes through a quart of oil every 2 hours or so. Smokes like a sunofabitch, and it has been poorly maintained. The chain guide is busted, the chain is toast, the rear fender is hanging on by a thread, and it was never washed by the looks of it.

So, the teardown began today. The plan is to fix it up, and either keep it for her if she decides she likes riding enough, or sell it for more than what I'll have into it. I know it will need a top end (the oil burning) but depending on what's wrong, I'll tear into the bottom end as well.

Brought it home, here's are the "before" pictures. Notice all the oil residue on the back end:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After an extremely thurough pressure wash, parts started coming off so I could thuroughly wash under them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

After about 45 minutes, the engine was out!

Posted Image

Frame back outside so I can wash it again, then strip it down and grease every bearing!

Posted Image

I drained the oil. This is ALL that came out!

Posted Image

I wasn't happy with how much was left on the engine after 2 pressure washes, so I taped it up, and back outside it went for a sand blasting. I used crished walnut. It strips the dirt easily, but won't harm painted surfaces or bare aluminum. Washed it again after, and squeaky clean!

Posted Image

Edited by Slick_Nick, May 22, 2012 - 12:49 PM.

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 22, 2012 - 12:50 PM

Side covers come off, flywheel and clutch:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now to get to the source of the burning oil! Cam chain comes off, all the misc. parts in the way, and off goes the head:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pulling off the cylinder, and cause is found. "Well, there's your problem!" Stock Yamaha Piston.

Posted Image

Great, now I know I need to do a bottom end too. Don't know where all those chunks ended up!

Posted Image

Thankfully, the oil pump was undamaged inside, but there were lots of chunks of metal in the pickup screen. This is where I'm at for now, will split the cases tonight. The crank has no play in it out of spec, so hopefully I can just clean everything up and start the reassembly with new bearings, etc.

Posted Image

• jlmotox

Posted May 22, 2012 - 03:29 PM

Nice Piston!!! it's awesome that it still was running!

looks like you have a nice little project though.

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 22, 2012 - 04:28 PM

Split the cases:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm glad I did! Look at all the crud inside from that piston!

Posted Image

Organized Chaos:

Posted Image

Removed and cleaned every nook and cranny of EVERY part! The crank checked out OK, it will be reused.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next to my KDX

Posted Image

Every part, bolt, washer, etc was cleaned, labled, and put away into baggies that will aid in re-assembly.

Posted Image

• JPDad

Posted May 22, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Enjoyed your Kawi build...so I know this will be fun to follow as well.

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 23, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Had very little time to work on it tonight. Long day at work!

Pulled the rear wheel and set to work on the spokes, (one was missing a nipple!) and getting rid of the bearings.

Posted Image

Yuck! Look at those bearings! In the garbage they go!

Posted Image

Spokes fixed, bearings out, wheel is all good again.

Posted Image

Took the float bowl off, jets inside were a 15 Pilot and 105 main (stock.) With the airbox mod and "butt plug" removal, I'll be going with a 20 pilot and 110 main.

Posted Image

Removed the shock. I will clean it up, but it is not serviceable otherwise:

Posted Image

That's it for tonight!

Posted Image

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 24, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Got my package from RMATV today. Lots of goodies for the TTR. (And some for the KDX too!)

Posted Image

Wiseco forged high compression piston:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see the larger dome is quite noticeable

Posted Image

The TTR swingarm doesn't ride on bearings. More like a bushing. Took the entire rear linkage apart and cleaned and greased everything. Here was the swingarm pivot after I removed it:

Posted Image

After a thurough cleaning, it got lots of grease and went back into the swingarm (which was also cleaned well.)

Posted Image

All points cleaned and greased, everything was torqued to factory spec, and the shock reinstalled.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The TTR "airbox mod" involves enlarging the tiny hole left by the snorkel. I might have gone a little extreme, but oh well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 24, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Filter cleaned and oiled

Posted Image

Posted Image

Airbox reinstalled

Posted Image

Posted Image

New Acerbis rear fender to replace the busted one.

Posted Image

Its starting to look like a bike again!

Posted Image

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 25, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Only had a little time tonight. Cleaned up some parts. Stator and flywheel:

Posted Image

On the clutch cover, there is a relief on both sides for a "sight glass" for the oil level. Wonder why Yamaha didn't put one in?

Posted Image

Cleaned the jug, and honed the cylinder. Cleaned it up, and coated it with WD-40 and sealed it in a bag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all for tonight!

• BDubb106

Posted May 26, 2012 - 02:48 AM

Good work so far! Looks great!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GEOF

Posted May 26, 2012 - 03:31 AM

Hi nice work. Good to see to that level workmanship and care taken. It will pay dividends.

https://www.facebook.com/CleanRebuilds

• kx250fnick

Posted May 26, 2012 - 07:56 PM

Looking Great so far Nick, keep it up!!! :cry:

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 27, 2012 - 01:55 PM

Made some good progress today. Cleaned up the head which took a LONG ass time! All the burnt on oil residue was a bitch to get off. Combination of a wire brush and the walnut hull blaster made things look like new!

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once cleaned, the head was placed into a bag and sealed like all the other parts to ensure cleanliness upon reassembly.

Posted Image

The clutch basket was a bit notched:

Posted Image

Filed it down:

Posted Image

I drill oil return holes in the baskets of all my bikes. (All aftermarket baskets come with these as well.) Here is the TTR basket filed, drilled, and cleaned:

Posted Image

Onto cleaning the case halves. Lots of piston chunks in there, we need to make sure all the bearings are clean. Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Slick_Nick, May 27, 2012 - 01:59 PM.

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 27, 2012 - 01:57 PM

Took the carb completely apart, cleaned everything. Here are all the parts laid out ready for reassembly:

Posted Image

Upped the pilot to a 20, and the main to a 107.5:

Posted Image

Carb reassembled:

Posted Image

Had some leftover yellow vent hose from my KDX. Replaced the gross old Yamaha junk:

Posted Image

Like everything else, the completed carb was sealed up:

Posted Image

Case halves cleaned, and laid out. Tomorrow I will begin reassembly for the engine:

Posted Image

• Theeebalz

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:25 PM

im thinking of doing something close to as extensive as this to my little playbike, maybe with a bbr cam and some different forks and shock among other little things, i like your build though! i bet that poor ttr still ran with half a piston too!

EDIT: if you don't mind explaining, do the holes in the clutch basket just flow oil better and whatnot?

Edited by yammablue22, May 27, 2012 - 06:47 PM.

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 27, 2012 - 07:48 PM

im thinking of doing something close to as extensive as this to my little playbike, maybe with a bbr cam and some different forks and shock among other little things, i like your build though! i bet that poor ttr still ran with half a piston too!

EDIT: if you don't mind explaining, do the holes in the clutch basket just flow oil better and whatnot?

Yes the allow for better oil transfer into and out of the plates. I've done it on all my bikes.

• Theeebalz

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Yes the allow for better oil transfer into and out of the plates. I've done it on all my bikes.

i think i might try that! how much do you think you're into this bike monetarily ?

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:32 AM

i think i might try that! how much do you think you're into this bike monetarily ?

Budget breakdown will be posted at the end, so far about $1000.

• MrBlahh

Posted May 28, 2012 - 08:03 AM

all the bearings are ok?

• Slick_Nick

Posted May 28, 2012 - 09:01 AM

I am replacing the main bearings and the transmission output shaft bearing. All others are free of debris and have zero play.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.