Fuel filter clogged?

6 replies to this topic
  • swedishfishmx

Posted May 21, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Tried to ride yesterday and went to start my bike. It took forever and never really would idle. It would bump start but ran very poorly once it did run. I shut it off and went home. I checked the valves last night and they were perfect. Bike has spark. Sucks cause I just got it back about a month or so ago after not riding it for 6 months. I got a new cylinder/piston because the old cylinder/piston was so corroded.

Can you change a fuel filter without having to re-charge the efi system?

2010 crf250r btw.

Checked the fuel pump and when I hooked it up to a battery it did sound like it was working. I wonder if I got a bad batch of gas, but it ran perfect the day before, so now i'm lost.

Edited by swedishfishmx, May 21, 2012 - 04:01 PM.

• swedishfishmx

Posted May 21, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Pic of my fuel filter.... http://sphotos.xx.fb...678588476_n.jpg

Edited by swedishfishmx, May 21, 2012 - 04:26 PM.

• hondamxman24

Posted June 06, 2012 - 08:57 AM

get a new filter... not sure if I should go by looks, but your filter looks like mine when it was clogged. (died out in the middle of a race) I got a new one, and it was completely white even when saturated with gas. Honda only sells the updated filter now. It's like $30 for the kit with all of the seals. Bike runs great now.

• DarkCRF

Posted June 06, 2012 - 10:44 AM

If you run pump gaz you must consider changing it every 25-30 hours

• swedishfishmx

Posted June 06, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Replaced the filter and still no go. Bike is at the shop right now. I'll know more next week. Bike doesn't even have 20hrs on it.

• thommo59

Posted June 07, 2012 - 12:41 AM

The 2010 had a whole pump upgrade due to the earlier pumps failing, particularly if the filter was blocked like your is in the pic. Failing that, I'll guess you have moisture in one of the wiring plugs, the usual culprit is either of the 2 behind the right hand shroud or the TPS connector on the side of the throttle body. Get some dialectric grease and add a little to all your plugs and you'll be bullet proof in the wet.

• swedishfishmx

Posted June 27, 2012 - 07:35 PM

So i figured out my problem last weekend, I had a cracked piston. The fuel pump and everything was fine, although I did change the fuel filter. I should be good for a while.

I'm ditching the regular gas around here and running Sunoco 112. It's more expensive, but if it keeps me from having fuel related issues i'm all for it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Thoughts On 2006 CRF250r? by MotoRider25

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

250 4t's vs 125 2t's by Maatt25

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  41 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF250R high rpm cut out before rev limiter by Miley250twerk

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 9 replies
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF 250 no signs of oil in the engine. by matte1600

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.