won't e-start or kick, will roll start.

10 replies to this topic
  • jsebastiant

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:52 AM

weird problem.
good battery, once started by rolling the bike runs perfectly.
when I try to start w/ the button I can feel/hear it spinning, but it doesn't turn the engine, not engaging. Kicker sounds like it is turning the engine but won't fire. on a roll start in fires ride up and rides fine. any ideas?

usually this bike fires right up and runs great. need help!

• Stealth13

Posted May 18, 2012 - 09:58 AM

That happened to my buddy when he dropped in a river, wouldn't kick start then I put a rope on it and towed it around and it fired up. Roll start is easier than kick starting it so you must have an issue.

• RasmusDK

Posted May 18, 2012 - 02:35 PM

Sounds like its time for a piston service =)

• still2smokin

Posted May 18, 2012 - 03:08 PM

Sounds like low compression to me. Does it still idle nice and steady once its started ?

• still2smokin

Posted May 18, 2012 - 03:14 PM

If you have an extra spark plug I would try checking the spark while kicking it .
Pull the spark plug boot/coil stick the extra plug in it and wedge it between the metal AIS tube and
cylinder and look for spark while you kick it over. If thats good I would do a compression test
and if thats good its time to look into the carb. Thats what I would do anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtbikekid32

Posted May 18, 2012 - 03:46 PM

weird problem.
good battery, once started by rolling the bike runs perfectly.
when I try to start w/ the button I can feel/hear it spinning, but it doesn't turn the engine, not engaging. Kicker sounds like it is turning the engine but won't fire. on a roll start in fires ride up and rides fine. any ideas?

usually this bike fires right up and runs great. need help!

If it starts bump starting it then you have spark and are getting fuel.. Does it kick start ok when its warm?? If it does than thats probably a compression problem, Piston rings, tight valves??.. i would check valve clearance first, easiest thing to do.. Do you keep your air filter really clean??

• Nick777

Posted May 18, 2012 - 08:03 PM

First check for good spark and then check valve clearance. Intake valves are probably to tight.

• jsebastiant

Posted May 19, 2012 - 08:41 AM

again, the bike runs fine once roll started. the carb is good, spark good. the bike runs great once roll started. valves were checked at the end of last season and were well within spec. it WILL NOT kick at all, warm or cold, the e-start just spins freely. quite the mystery here. Had a moto-mechanic tell me there is a bearing on the kicker that only will spin one way, and that it may be broken...never heard of such thing. probably going to have to take it in...bummer. was hoping to be able to to the fix myself.

however, if a moto genuis knows &%$#@! is going on let me know. I'm stumped.

• jsebastiant

Posted May 19, 2012 - 02:01 PM

dropped it off for service. no real answers yet, will keep you posted. but again, if anyone has good guess, let me know.

• Pooley

Posted May 19, 2012 - 04:27 PM

Valve clearances are off, thats my guess.

• allterra

Posted May 20, 2012 - 02:17 AM

idol gear lost all it's teath or broken?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.