Broken bolt in swingarm

5 replies to this topic
  • redmanrandyed

Posted October 23, 2003 - 12:19 PM

I have just installed the 13 tooth front sprocket and love the difference it makes in the tight stuff. Thanks for the advice!!! :)
The darn chain adjustment bolt in the swingarm broke off although. :D It just seized up and broke off. We tried vise grips, hammer and chisel, heating up the swingarm with a torch, and easy outs. We eventually broke off an easy out trying to turn the da#$ thing out. It is in there good.
Any ideas of what to try next short of drilling it out and re-tapping? Can this even be done with aluminum? Anyone had this problem before on the BRP?
I did not want this to stop me from riding that day so i just used a socket and some duct tape.....that did the trick but I want this thing fixed right. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Redmanrandyed

• redrider650r

Posted October 23, 2003 - 01:33 PM

hey redman,

I had the same exact thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. Started to drill it out, tried the eazy-out and broke it off inside the bolt. So, I shaved the bolt flush with the swingarm and drilled a new whole right underneath the one that was there, seems to work, haven't riden much with it like that though, so dont know if that will hurt or not. I think I posted this a couple weeks ago too, so there might be more info. Good Luck!!!

• drex

Posted October 23, 2003 - 02:38 PM

Unfortunately this is a common mishap with the XR650R. Has to do with different metal types, bolt vs. swingarm. Good info about it at http://www.xr650r.us.

Mine is seized but I haven't yet broken off the bolt. First flat tire I'll have to. Excellent article in Dirt Rider last month about seized / broken bolts.

Good luck! Let us know what you do.

Dan in So. Cal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CJPilot

Posted October 23, 2003 - 04:33 PM

Funny, I thought I was the only one who's had this problem! I snapped both of mine off two months ago, then proceeded to fill them with hardened steel ez-outs. Metal disentigration is the only way to get them out. I found a specialty shop that had one of these machines they removed the bolts without harming the aluminum around them. Pretty trick setup, but it cost me $140. :) No machine shop would touch it after I broke the ez outs off in there and one of the places said this was the only way to get it out without screwing anything up. I had it done at The Hole Shoppe in Signal Hill, CA. I forget what the exact technical term for the procedure was......electronic metal disentigration or something like that. Expensive but, I was out of ideas. I'm a firm believer in anti-sieze now! cheap insurance, I did almost every bolt on the bike! :D

Good luck,
D :D

• loufish

Posted October 24, 2003 - 01:35 AM

This is a problem for quite a few other bikes also...
The term for the electronic removel of broken bolts/taps is EDM, Electronic Discharge Machineing....It uses a piece of graphite to "burn" thru metal, any metal, no matter how hard it may be!
http://www.polcraft.com/edm2.htm
This is a quick explain.

• redmanrandyed

Posted October 24, 2003 - 07:14 AM

Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this and for helping me out. Thanks for the info on EDM, I did not think of that! My bro. works at a shop where they have a couple EDM's. I will have him work on it for me!
I too will definatley use anti seize on pretty much every bolt!!!
The bolt breaking off was a big bummer as we were just getting ready to go riding. I took the day off, the weather was beautiful and I needed to get out on some trails in a big way. Thanks to my calm and collective nephew and bro., we made it work. Nothing like a little million mile an hour tape. Duct tape saved the day!!!
I was surprised to hear that this was a common problem. I was mad at myself for breaking the bolt.

Thanks again guys, :)

Redmanrandyed

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.