Trying to plate an 07 WR450 need DOT brake lines

17 replies to this topic
  • huntersk2k4

Posted May 17, 2012 - 07:34 PM

So im trying to get my wr450 plated here in Washington but the guy at the dealership where im getting it inspected says i need brake lines that say they are DOT approved or something of that nature. My question is where do i get a set that i know are dot compliant? I dont want to order a set online and have them not say "DOT" on them. Does anyone know if the brake lines off of a 250r or 250x will fit on the 450? Or where i can get custom ones made that say DOT? Thanks.

• GlennR

Posted May 17, 2012 - 07:47 PM

That sounds like BS to me. I'd try a different place for the inspection.

• dirtbikekid32

Posted May 17, 2012 - 08:13 PM

So im trying to get my wr450 plated here in Washington but the guy at the dealership where im getting it inspected says i need brake lines that say they are DOT approved or something of that nature. My question is where do i get a set that i know are dot compliant? I dont want to order a set online and have them not say "DOT" on them. Does anyone know if the brake lines off of a 250r or 250x will fit on the 450? Or where i can get custom ones made that say DOT? Thanks.

Not sure about washington, But PA's laws are pretty stringent and Ive never heard of that either, I know its not in the PA inspection manual.. Come to think of it, I dont think Ive ever seen a brake line that said DOT on it anywhere.Respectflly ask the inspector to show you in the inspection manual where it says that..

• SilvFx

Posted May 17, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Read this thread:
http://www.thumperta...__fromsearch__1

Someone found a place that will make DOT brake lines. There certainly appears to be some dispute about whether this is needed and that some shops will pass you without them. YMMV.

• Stealth13

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:00 PM

I feel bad for you guys that need inspections ... Mine was street legal without anyone ever seeing it. Has offroad tires too and the cops I've had to talk to haven't said anything, and I wear my license plate on my backpack.

Buddy got his 97 two stroke Ktm plated as well haha

• allterra

Posted May 18, 2012 - 03:37 AM

Man that is harsh after reading this I went and looked at my "94" HD Sportster. Guess what no DOT stamp on that only on the fluid res. and that said use only DOT 5 brake fluid. Then I looked on the "08" Honda Goldwing. None of the lines " at least the parts I can see" say DOT on them. I don't know how they can require that if it is not on the bikes that are "factory" road legal. I really feel sorry for you. Good luck.

• GlennR

Posted May 18, 2012 - 03:56 AM

I'd buy a rubber stamp that says "DOT" and some white paint to "fix" those faulty brake lines. I bet you can get one made for less than $10.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 18, 2012 - 04:20 AM

I'd go to a different dealer/inspection station too. There's no way that can figure out if they are DOT or not.
Maniac

• huntersk2k4

Posted May 18, 2012 - 05:21 AM

I'm gonna call around at lunch to a few different shops that are close. Any particular ones in the south sound area you guys recommend? Hinshaws in auburn is where I was told about the brake lines. Worst case I'll just have to get some made.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stealth13

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:06 AM

I'm gonna call around at lunch to a few different shops that are close. Any particular ones in the south sound area you guys recommend? Hinshaws in auburn is where I was told about the brake lines. Worst case I'll just have to get some made.

Do what glen says, it's not like you're going to die with non dot lines.

• n16ht5

Posted May 18, 2012 - 04:41 PM

skagit powersports in mount vernon.

http://www.thumperta...__fromsearch__1

• Taxgod4u

Posted May 21, 2012 - 11:56 AM

Tell him the DOT now requires the stamp to be on the inside of the lines, he needs to get up to the times...

• SPLATT

Posted May 21, 2012 - 04:46 PM

Try South Bound Honda in Lakewood. I have the stock brake lines on my 04 WR450 and didn't have an issue getting through inspection.

• huntersk2k4

Posted May 23, 2012 - 11:34 AM

I had a new front brake line made for cheap so I'll put it on to get through inspection then put my stock one back on...Just a heads up the rear brake line actually says DOT on it just in case someone else has this problem as well.

• byggd

Posted May 24, 2012 - 12:24 PM

Wait! What?? Did they ask to inspect your muffler bearing as well? I call BS on the inspector.

• Snarfie

Posted May 25, 2012 - 04:32 AM

Yes, this is total BS. Your dealer doesnt know what he's doing. Take the bike home, and just call the sherifffs office and see if they will do an onsite inspection. They do in KY, and all they check here is VIn accuracy.

• huntersk2k4

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:36 AM

Yes, this is total BS. Your dealer doesnt know what he's doing. Take the bike home, and just call the sherifffs office and see if they will do an onsite inspection. They do in KY, and all they check here is VIn accuracy.

Yeah I wish I could they just passed a law here in wa that allows us to plate our bikes but a stipulation was that the state patrol wanted nothing to do with the process. So we have to go to dealers to get them inspected and the way the rules are written its pretty much up to the dealers to decide what is legal and what isn't. Not a big deal new brake line was cheap so now I just need reflectors and I'm good to go.

• n16ht5

Posted May 25, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Lots of plates issued that I know of and brake lines were not an issue... Your dealer just sucks. Like I said before.. Skagit Powerssports plated my bike with oem headlight and brakes

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.