aluminium shavings in my oil filter on 01 426.

6 replies to this topic
  • 01yam426_212

Posted May 16, 2012 - 07:33 AM

i just bought a 01 426 a few months ago for $950 , its a great runner doesnt smoke idles great, just needs a few odds and ends like fork seals and rear shock rebuild. when i went to change the oil i found some metal shavings in the oil filter, there was a good amount on it, and it is magnetic so im guessing its aluminium, so now i have been diggin around and havent found anything, i pulled the valve cover off and looked to see if the timing chain was digging into the side of the head or what not, took the clutch out and looked around in there , still nothing. im guessing because its aluminium its not a crank bearing or something like that, i know its not normal but i wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and see what was causeing it so i kinda know where to look. i really dont want to split the case unless i have to, so any ideas would be very helpful. thanks for your time.

• 01yam426_212

Posted May 16, 2012 - 07:42 AM

sorry i forgot about the search, anwsered my question hahah.

• jcbikes

Posted May 16, 2012 - 01:49 PM

Aluminum is NOT magnetic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2012 - 01:53 PM

Ooops!

• 01yam426_212

Posted May 16, 2012 - 05:18 PM

thats what i ment, typo .

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Changes everything.

The most common, somewhat normal source of aluminum slivers in the oil is the clutch. The clutch and trans share the engine oil and make it a kind of a messy place. The primary case, where the clutch lives, is a good place to look for the source of a sudden excess of aluminum debris, too. Stuff that may drift around in the oil can find all kinds of trouble to get into by running afoul of the ten separate gears in that area. A piece of broken spring, a dropped screw, a clip that fell of something.... If you really have an unusual amount of aluminum junk in the oil, you might want to pop that side open. Be sure it's not just normal, though.

• 01yam426_212

Posted May 16, 2012 - 05:34 PM

ok ya, thanks man, i was in there today and i didnt see anything so i dont know, im gunna put it back together and run it for a couple hours and change the oil again and look at the oil and see whats up. who knows when the oil was changed befor and that could just be normal.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.