2012 WR450 - OK to occasionally motocross? And a few other Q's.

2 replies to this topic
  • jcm3

Posted May 15, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hey guys,
I currently have a 2011 YZ450, and am about a 95% track rider in Southern California. I get banged up way too often, and am looking seriously at selling my very low hour YZ450 and picking up a 2012 WR450. I'd like to move away from track riding (45 years old, and don't heal as quickly as I used to), start doing more trail riding and desert riding (not a big fan of the high speed stuff, I tend to like the slower, more technical desert and trail stuff), but would like to still occasionally be able to do some vet track riding to change it up once in awhile. I figure if I am riding a WR450, I'm not going to be trying to ride the main track, and will be more likely to just take it easy, have fun, and avoid injuries.

The new WR looks great, and I've done alot of research on it so far. I do have a few questions that I'm hoping that some real people can answer. I've read about every internet article I have found, but it's nice to hear from real people.

Does anyone make graphics for them yet? It looks like the rear number plates and side panels are very similar to the 2011, if not the same. I'd assume the graphics from the YZ250 would fit the radiator shrouds.

How well does it rev? I know with the ecu, slip on and tune, they are supposed to run alot better. But, I've read that they still don't rev out much. I know the WRs are a different kind of bike, and am not looking for a YZ with a head light. Just curious.

How well would the stock suspension handle some light vet track duty? Could I ride it as is (200 lbs) and just use the clickers, or would it be too soft for light track duty? Here's a vid of me out at Milestone, cruising around the vet track. The vet track jumps are not very big, and I'm also trying to slow down in my old age. You can see I'm not pushing it very hard at all. Read: slow :banghead: lol

The bikes look great, but aren't being discounted much yet, obviously. So, it will still be a bit out of pocket to make the switch. I'm trying to justify if I should do that, or stick with my YZ for the track days, and my old dog YZ426 for trail riding. (green sticker)

Thanks in advance for any information.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted May 15, 2012 - 03:38 PM

For trail riding I prefer my WR over my friends YZ450Fs... you will really like it. Mine has more power than I can usually use.. Their YZFs are hard to ride because of the close gearing... You can feel a bit more weight on the WR, but you get used to it, and the WR has about 90% of the power of the YZF. Mine runs like a raped ape. Just make sure you do all the mods and open up the exhaust with a YZF pipe or something

That track in the video is pretty tame (not in an offensive way.. I am too chicken to ride the big death double tracks around where I live).. you will be fine on the WR, the suspensions really nice, resists bottoming fairly well for a trail bike. give it a few months and there will be graphics I am sure, if the YZ250F graphics don't work now.

Edited by n16ht5, May 15, 2012 - 03:39 PM.

• jcm3

Posted May 15, 2012 - 03:58 PM

That track in the video is pretty tame (not in an offensive way.. I am too chicken to ride the big death double tracks around where I live).. you will be fine on the WR, the suspensions really nice, resists bottoming fairly well for a trail bike. give it a few months and there will be graphics I am sure, if the YZ250F graphics don't work now.

Good info, and no offense taken. When I ride the vet track at Milestone, I tend not to push it for that exact reason. When I ride the main track, I am riding with much faster riders, and my pride gets in the way. That's when I push it, and bad things happen. :banghead: I want to try to keep away from that, and reduce the chance for injury. Been there, done that, WAY too many times.

I agree about the jumps, they are small enough and the landings smooth enough that I would hope that the WR will be fine in stock trim, with maybe just a few clicker adjustments to stiffen it up just a bit.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by jcm3, May 15, 2012 - 03:59 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.