WR owners whose bike starts easily with button, REPLY HERE..

34 replies to this topic
  • kawi380

Posted May 17, 2012 - 06:31 AM

I have an 08 with all the free mods, JD jet kit (can't remember what jetting of the top of my head), full 09 yz system. Fires up cold with the e start no problem and hot with the lever every time after a few second.

Cold: turn on gas, engage choke, twist the throttle 3-4 times to squirt some juice in there, stab the button....boooom she fires every time. Never had a single problem.

Hot: grab the hot start lever, stab the button....booom she fires after first crank.

The only time I ever used the kicker was when my battery died. Maybe kicked the bike 10 times then replaced the battery. People who say she wont start with the button at cold do not have their bike jetted or live at the north pole.

• Stealth13

Posted May 17, 2012 - 06:59 AM

I have an 08 with all the free mods, JD jet kit (can't remember what jetting of the top of my head), full 09 yz system. Fires up cold with the e start no problem and hot with the lever every time after a few second.

Cold: turn on gas, engage choke, twist the throttle 3-4 times to squirt some juice in there, stab the button....boooom she fires every time. Never had a single problem.

Hot: grab the hot start lever, stab the button....booom she fires after first crank.

The only time I ever used the kicker was when my battery died. Maybe kicked the bike 10 times then replaced the battery. People who say she wont start with the button at cold do not have their bike jetted or live at the north pole.

I can give mine a couple twists and fire it up right away, people say I shouldn't need the twists and bike is too lean, my buddies Ktm will start cold with the choke closed just pressing the button

• RSanders

Posted May 17, 2012 - 01:19 PM

I can give mine a couple twists and fire it up right away, people say I shouldn't need the twists and bike is too lean, my buddies Ktm will start cold with the choke closed just pressing the button

Your KTM buddies are just giving you crap, your bike is probably fine.

• Stealth13

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Your KTM buddies are just giving you crap, your bike is probably fine.

It's just the one, I watched him do it, most of my buddys ride Yamaha

• dirtbikekid32

Posted May 21, 2012 - 03:25 PM

UPDATE.. Raced this bike again yesterday, bike fired on the first kick in 2nd gear and I was 3rd into the woods in a line of 38 guys, ended up first in my class.

Good news and bad news.. Good news is i dont have to worry about stalling anymore as I performed the best mod yet on this bike, the Rekluse EXP 2.0.. Flat out best $279 ive ever spent!! Bad news, after the race i did mess around with the e start and cant say it was a whole lot better better with the hot start button, maybe Im just being too picky..?? dont really have to worry about stalling it anymore tho..

• MANIAC998

Posted May 21, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Okay now, since I haven't noticed anyone else on here being/racing in Montana, I'll give you my secret start weapon for racing. I use the kickstart lever to find TDC compression, and keep pressure on the kickstart lever until the piston just goes past TDC. Then when the start flag is raised, just use the electric start as normal. This gives the engine one complete, quick revolution, before the piston comes back up and the sparkplug fires. I'm first off the line, alot of time! Not neccesarily first into the corner though, but I'm working on that!!!
Maniac

• dirtbikekid32

Posted May 21, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Okay now, since I haven't noticed anyone else on here being/racing in Montana, I'll give you my secret start weapon for racing. I use the kickstart lever to find TDC compression, and keep pressure on the kickstart lever until the piston just goes past TDC. Then when the start flag is raised, just use the electric start as normal. This gives the engine one complete, quick revolution, before the piston comes back up and the sparkplug fires. I'm first off the line, alot of time! Not neccesarily first into the corner though, but I'm working on that!!!
Maniac

I tired that yesterday.. still didnt work, but with the rekluse, im moving before my foot is even off of the kick start as long as it fires first kick.. I would like tio try another battery, but im gonna kill the one thats in it first, eventually it starts with it, just not as fast as i would like.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrwest

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:23 PM

I have found that a weak battery from the day I bought it was the cause of starting problems. Check your battery by jumping from a car when starting. If it fires right up you know you got a weak battery.

• L. Euler

Posted March 04, 2014 - 04:54 PM

I had a 2003 that started first compression every time.  I did need to use the choke when cold though.  Mods:  JD jet kit, but it started easily before JD.  Carb thoroughly cleaned, FMF Q4 with power bomb header. Ignition and fuel system meticulously maintained.  A strong battery is a must.

• stevethe

Posted March 04, 2014 - 05:42 PM

07, 08, 09 they all start with the button. Try a Shorai battery they even spin em faster and seem to last.

• MyersAvionics

Posted March 05, 2014 - 06:08 AM

I haven't had too many issues with my 2013. I only have an FMF PC pipe and Competition ECU on it as well. I think the owner's manual calls for kicking it when it's colder than ~40 degrees. I had one time where i had to really kick it to get it going... but it was Negative 15 that day. 

Just raced it in a very icy/cold harescramble last week where it was at best 27 degrees. Started on the 2nd kick and with one crash the E-start lit it right back up (in neutral). I would like to get a higher turning amp battery so it would start in gear though. Does anyone have any experience with this battery: https://www.yamahapa...0|20&f=2013|136

• stevethe

Posted March 05, 2014 - 07:52 AM

I haven't had too many issues with my 2013. I only have an FMF PC pipe and Competition ECU on it as well. I think the owner's manual calls for kicking it when it's colder than ~40 degrees. I had one time where i had to really kick it to get it going... but it was Negative 15 that day. 

Just raced it in a very icy/cold harescramble last week where it was at best 27 degrees. Started on the 2nd kick and with one crash the E-start lit it right back up (in neutral). I would like to get a higher turning amp battery so it would start in gear though. Does anyone have any experience with this battery: https://www.yamahapa...0|20&f=2013|136

Good battery we used a couple of them.  The only problem we had was they did not seem to last too long.  Figure a couple of years.

• Summit

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:47 PM

My '05 starts great with button always has, still on original battery, I do keep it on a battery tender. I assume with kick starter also but I never use it. If bike sits for a long time I just tip on side till gas runs out, choke, 3 twists of throttle and vroom!!  If it's hot out and bike is hot I use the hot start lever. I always use Startron gas treatment and never have to worry about old gas.

Edited by Summit, March 05, 2014 - 12:50 PM.

• flyandride

Posted March 05, 2014 - 09:43 PM

09 WR here with the free mods, ais removed, FMF megabomb and Q4.  Changing to Hotcams and Ricky Stator really made the e start work well, hot or cold.  Battery has to have a good charge, the stator  and reg/rect helped with that.  

• chaddspadd

Posted March 07, 2014 - 02:01 PM

2005 wr450

I changed my starter jet.  It comes stock with a 65 and when I called the parts store thats the only one they had for a WR.  The YZF comes stock with a 72 and had an option for a 70, which is what I put it.  Now it was my understanding that it should only affect cold starting, but it seems to start easier all around, happy with the change.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.