Front rotors

4 replies to this topic
  • davidjay

Posted May 13, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Can anybody tell me the range of thicknesses that are acceptable for the front rotor on a 2003 wr 450f. I just picked up a new one and when I went to change the old one out, I noticed how much thinner it is than my new rotor. It looks as though the new may not fit between the pads.

• Stealth13

Posted May 13, 2012 - 08:50 PM

You have to release the pressure and push it back in so there is room for the larger pad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted May 14, 2012 - 03:53 AM

Correct, however it's not so much "relieving the pressure" (as brakes are not a pressurized system under no braking load) as just pushing the the pistons back into the caliper, installing the new rotor, then pressing the brake lever until they come back out to the proper location.

The only "release" you may have to do is if your reservoir is filled with fluid to the point you can't push the piston back in all tge way but that's easy enough to know and deal with as you are doing this. Also after everything is installed it's a good time to bleed your brakes and replace the fluid with fresh.

Edited by miweber929, May 14, 2012 - 03:56 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 14, 2012 - 03:58 AM

Your manual has an acceptable thickness range listed for the rotor. Maniac

• davidjay

Posted May 15, 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the help... appreciate it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.