Hard Starting 2012 WR

7 replies to this topic
  • duggram

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:40 AM

Picked up my new 2012 WR 450 this week. Ironically when I got to the dealer it fired up as soon as the sales guy hit the starter, then after that I signed my documents and the has not started on the starter since. At the shop we tried 0, +1 and +2 on the lowest RPM setting on the race ECM. Nothing helps. BTW the bike has the FMF exhaust also.

Any suggestions?

• freeriders98

Posted May 11, 2012 - 10:34 AM

What kind of emissions garbage do they have on them?

A buddy just bought a Husky TE449 and it would hardly run they had it leaned out so much to pass all the emissions BS. But if they are playing with the fuel mapping then who knows.

• Lumberjack450

Posted May 11, 2012 - 11:17 AM

You need to have the ECU mapped to the suggested FMF map. It is somewhere after page 10 on the 2012 WR 450 thread if you do not have the paper.

After that, check for fuel / air / spark / compression or take it to the dealer.

Edited by Dezert_Man, May 11, 2012 - 11:19 AM.

• BoiseBee

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:38 PM

I assume you are using the "cold start" lever on throttle body?

Mine use to start like crap, and as soon as I added the FMF pipe and comp ECU with FMF map she started firing on about the third short press of the start button. Do not hold the start button for longer than a few seconds per burst.

I have noticed that as I put more hours on the bike it gets easier and easier to start with the magic button.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • duggram

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the info. My dealer had those values that you posted. We tried the baseline for the FMF. Didn't help. Tried setting the 1/8th throttle 4000 RPM Fuel value to 0. That didn't help either.

The shop mechanic suggested that it just needs to be ridden more to break it in to improve starting. BTW it starts right away with even a gentle kick. Tomorrow I get my first chance to ride it.

• BFox

Posted May 12, 2012 - 10:35 PM

Mapping doesnt affect idle

• BFox

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Throttle wide open spin engine with button for a few seconds. Then kick with throttle closed, I will figure this thing out

• duggram

Posted May 20, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Finally got to ride the bike today. After 20 miles it now starts on the first push. Couldn't be happier!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.