450 Enduro Shootout

15 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:36 AM

This is the one that I've been waiting for...

these guys are pretty critical and I like that. I bet what they think is the worst bike would be the best bike I've ever ridden. Ignore the suspension comments as well. Seems we have some very good choices these days.

http://www.motorcycl...o-Shootout.aspx

I'll post this in the Yamaha and KTM forums to see what everyone things. I happen to like both colors.

• kawi380

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:26 AM

I wish they would compare the new wr to the older versions too. Having them say the clutch sucks doesn't help me as I have no comparison. The clutch on my 02rm250 sucks, is it that bad?? Is is the pull at the lever, does it slip too much...I'm just more curious than anything. I think there is always room for improvement.

They all look awesome though I know I will most likely never buy another KTM, and either KTM or beta is way too expensive for me. I have an 05450x and I agree with all the comments they made. It feels slow and boring.

Love shootouts :banghead: :thumbsup:

• woods-rider

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:05 AM

It also seems like they tested the WR in it's full corked up stock condition. When is Yamaha going to pull its head out of their arse and at least get rid of the long throttle stop and the tiny pea-shooter exhaust baffle? In the Dirt Rider article they said that Yamaha could get rid of both of them and still meet all the regulations for an open course machine.

• Rocky739

Posted May 10, 2012 - 01:42 PM

Shoot-outs are a joke IMO but they did seem pretty fair and didn't say much we don't already know. If you have ever ridden a euro bike with a hydrulic cluch you would understand why Jap cable operatated ones seem like drum brakes.. Come on Honda and Yamaha, KTM has had their clutch fluid operated since 1998! My brother has a 2012 Beta and its a very nice bike.. I'll do a shoot out against my 2003 WR but will handicap dollar to improvement.. Hope my 2'250 dollar beater can win against his 8'000 plus super bike. I will have to buy the beers reguardless as hes probably broke :banghead:

• BBBTHREAT

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Good read. Also, MXA did a test on the WR450 that was a little more in depth than the Dirt Bike article. Wondering what they will do with mods and what those magazines will find with their shootouts (modified/unmodified). Dirt Bike had done a large shootout in the past in which all bikes got the same exhuast and the same tires. Would like to see those results, even though Kawasaki and Suzuki can't play.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Ignoring all the suspension and handling stuff, which a fat ass like me needs to get taken care of anyway... I look at the characteristics of the motor and the things related to the riding position. The older I get, the slower I get... so a bike with a healthy bark off the bottom as well as healthy midrange is what I need.

Kudos to Beta for keeping everyone honest.

• Rocky739

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:47 PM

Well I finally got my brother outta the house and on some trails. Had to charge the dead battery on his Beta!

We switched bikes for about 5 miles of singletrack and a little road section.

Heres my long awaited shootout 2003 WR vs, 2012 Beta!

Motor: Beta wins by a mile! That baby runs, power everywere and perfect clutch and transmission. I say a 9.5 for the Beta and 7.5 for my Yammy which is no slouch but wow apples and oranges.. Imagine a WR with crazy bottom end but similar overrev and a superlight clutch and perfect gear ratios at your finger tips, er and toe tip??

Suspension: WR wins &%$#@!? Stock,serviced (with correct spring rates) boingers on the WR were better than new superbike suspension.. The forks were deadly on the Beta and the shock could be used torture people. Beta 3.0 Yamaha 6.0 (both could due with valving but the WR never tries to kill me). My brother owns a suspension company oddly but due to lack of demand he spends most of his time on KTM and Japanese suspension and never has time to mess with his Beta.

Handling: Beta, even with terrible forks the light weight and sharper turning is there, much more like riding a 2t. Crazy fun.. 8.5 Beta 5.0 Yamaha. Helps it weights so much less

Fit and finish: Yea, yea a new WR is way nicer than my old clunker but the beta comes with all the bells and whistles. I'll help out and count my aftermarket goodies (protapers, big tank...). The Beta has a 50 mile range on a tank of fuel and my 3.3 gal tank can do a hundred, plus lack of aftermarket parts is a downside. I was reasonably comfortable on both bikes but the Beta has lower seat height and is a little more open in the cockpit. Lets say Beta 7.5 Yamaha 6.0. If you were wondering parts are avaiable and easy to get for the Beta, not sure about prices.

Totals:
Beta: 28.5
WR: 24.5

Now remember that I think a hanicap is fair since I only have about a third of the cost wrapped up in my bike and even a new WR with everything you would need from GYTR (pipe, ECU, tuner) its still cheaper by a good margin.
I will give the win to the Yamaha! Its a solid bike with a good motor and suspension. I need to ride a new 450 KTM now to finish my shootout and see where my hard earned lotto winnings would go!

• Monk

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:42 PM

Betas are nice but parts, where you going to get parts? Especially in Canada...

Honda 450x is like the YZ 250. Unchanged but still a awesome bike. When something is so good, why change it. Fuel injection wouldnt hurt it though...

WR, too bad its so choked up stock. That being said, other then the dealer floor I have not seen one in the bush, or a in a pick up truck or anywhere. Yamahas little secert?

As for the KTM, it takes a little more work to get it just right between the suspension and handling but when its right, the bike is outstanding! The interesting thing is more people seem to go for either the 350/500 from what I see in Canada.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of these bikes though. All of them have their quirks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocky739

Posted October 10, 2012 - 04:56 AM

Beta USA is stocking everything, can't speak for Canada but assume they are just doing a N America dist system. Gotta rember they are not new as they have been building and importing trials bikes for a long time.
They hired KTM's top engine designer who came up with the new 4t motor and he has designed their new 2t.

If I hit the lotto tomorrow I'd get one and switch out the forks for a set of WP's (be easier than trying to fix the stockers).. Ah dreams..

• BFox

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:34 AM

Got new FMF can,couple of oil filters and spare air filter in about 10 working days from American Beta site

Betas are nice but parts, where you going to get parts? Especially in Canada...

Honda 450x is like the YZ 250. Unchanged but still a awesome bike. When something is so good, why change it. Fuel injection wouldnt hurt it though...

WR, too bad its so choked up stock. That being said, other then the dealer floor I have not seen one in the bush, or a in a pick up truck or anywhere. Yamahas little secert?

As for the KTM, it takes a little more work to get it just right between the suspension and handling but when its right, the bike is outstanding! The interesting thing is more people seem to go for either the 350/500 from what I see in Canada.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of these bikes though. All of them have their quirks.

• Monk

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Got new FMF can,couple of oil filters and spare air filter in about 10 working days from American Beta site

10 days? That's nearly 2 weeks!

• BFox

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Coming from California. No different than any parts Ive gotten from Rockymountain MC or Dennis Kirk or Gnarly Parts sometimes

• woods-rider

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Coming from California. No different than any parts Ive gotten from Rockymountain MC or Dennis Kirk or Gnarly Parts sometimes

Rockymountain only takes 3 days usually to get to me.

• BFox

Posted October 13, 2012 - 05:11 AM

Rockymountain only takes 3 days usually to get to me.

That line in the sand can be a bear to get across sometimes.Doesnt seem to matter where I order stuff out of the US it usually takes about 2 weeks.Just something you have to get used to up in The Great White North

• MANIAC998

Posted October 13, 2012 - 05:53 AM

Two weeks isn't too bad. It sure is nice just getting the correct stuff that you order, and Rocky Mountain has never, ever sent me the wrong stuff. That in itself, is PRICELESS!!!

• Rocky739

Posted October 14, 2012 - 06:38 AM

I received a rear tire from them that wasn't the size I ordered. One phone call and they sent out the correct tire that day along with a return slip to ship the tire back. I was super impressed with that, as much as I would like to support my local dealers they would have to lose the attitude stock what I need and be competitive on price.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.