Think my new 2012 YZ450F is a bit dodgey

5 replies to this topic
  • slygary

Posted May 10, 2012 - 03:23 AM

Got my new yz450 the other day and got it a bit cheaper due to the fact i seen a dent in the muffler later to find out its a factory dent and i noticed a pop rivet holding together the two piece number plate. I thought yamaha were better quality than this, but i still love the bike though.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• ah665

Posted May 10, 2012 - 04:35 AM

Nice bike. After you put 100hrs on it and it still runs like new, you won't question the quality

• RiderX

Posted May 10, 2012 - 04:51 AM

I remember thinking the same thing when I brought my 2002 YZ250F home from the dealer 10 years ago, why is there is big dent in the silencer? I was ready to call the dealer and demand a new one until I noticed my buddies YZ250F had the same exact dent. It's there for a reason, it's not a quality control problem.

Edited by RiderX, May 10, 2012 - 04:51 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • asnyder2

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:00 AM

Believe dent is for rear caliper clearance, my dad thought same thing as you all about the dent.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:25 AM

The dent is in fact deliberately placed there by a machine at the factory and has been for 14 years. I'd love to be there at the sales meeting:

"How come you discounted this bike?"

"Well, it had a dent in the muffler, so I knocked $200 bucks off."

"Ah, OK. I'll be knocking $200 off your next check, too".

The whole thing would probably be a lot more colorful than that, but you get the picture.

And what's wrong with rivets, anyway? :banghead:

• MX763

Posted May 11, 2012 - 02:40 PM

Every time I look at all of the number plates on the wall that have broken because of the plasti-weld and rivets I think the same thing. I also can't figure out for the life of me why there are several different types of heads on the bolts that hold the body work on. Don't forget it cost a lot more to replace the plastics on this bike than it does on any other. This coupled with whoever thought recessing the lower drain plug up in the cases was a good idea leads me to believe that Yamaha has changed up some of the payroll in the past 7-10 years.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.