2007 Stock tank repair?

3 replies to this topic
  • Greco

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:49 PM

I recently bought a replacement IMS tank for my 07 450. I thought I could make an entire 2hr harescramble on a tight wooded course with the stock tank. Nope..... 1hr 47min yes, 2 hr no.

When taking off the shrouds (for the first time since I bought the bike used a couple of months back) I noticed the bolts that hold the shrouds to the tank would just spin and not loosen. I took a flat blade screw driver between the shroud and the tank to apply pressure. I ended up popping both of the bolts out of the holes in the tank. The inserts were covered in what appeared to be MSR Quicksteel or something similar.

Is there any way to repair the inserts or should I just put the tank in the plastic recycle bin?

• thefickler

Posted May 10, 2012 - 04:21 AM

Can you post a picture? I think there is a nut that is insert molded in the tank by the sounds of it? And it has broken loose, and it is just spinning in the cavity that it was molded to in the tank?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:32 AM

If you can unscrew the threaded insert from the bolt (usually can once they're out of the tank, you can CAREFULLY use a Dremel tool or similar to cut 2 or 3 notches into the otherwise round shape of both the hole in the tank and the outside of the insert. Coat them with a two part epoxy and push them back in place. The grooves you cut will help the insert resist turning. I like to use a dry graphite of moly lube on the bolts, as they have a reputation for sticking in the inserts like that.

BTW, you may be interested in this little trick if you're installing an IMS:

• Greco

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:10 PM

I did not take pics, but yes the inserts pulled right out of the tank. I did grab the insert with a pair of pliers and I carefully took the insert off of the bolts. I threw the inserts in my toolbox and used the stock bolts to hook up the IMS. It looks like the previous owner of my bike already tried the epoxy trick. I could set the inserts back in and let them set up in fresh epoxy just in case I ever decide to re-install the stock tank. The fit of the IMS is such that I don't think I will ever need to go back to stock.

Gray, I didn't even take the bottom shroud bolts off. I just spread the shrouds and took the stock tank off and slid the IMS on. Great tip though with the acorn nuts. I'll pick up the hardware needed so when I decide to take off the shrouds I will be able to use that manner of installation.

I'm just glad I don't need to pitch my stock tank.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.