Plug and Play lighting harness for EFI YZ450F

31 replies to this topic
  • Baja Designs

Posted May 09, 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hi everybody,

Check out our new EFI lower harness for the Yamaha YZ450F (http://www.bajadesig...Harness-Yamaha), this harness is a plug and play kit that works with the existing capacitor and the regulator/rectifier. It allows the Baja Designs Squadron and the Polisport Shell (http://www.bajadesig...ycle-Racelight) to be utilized on your YZ450F

Attached Thumbnails

• poly sport.jpg

Edited by Baja Designs, May 09, 2012 - 12:33 PM.

• AliGee

Posted May 09, 2012 - 01:43 PM

After debating for months over the WR and YZ... I just gave up the "legal" aspect and bought a YZ. You have NO idea how exciting this is to me!!! HAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHALRHO:EIREHR <----- Excitement.

Now, when are you gonna make the harness work with a DOT approved light?!?!?!

:banghead: :thumbsup: :applause: :) :ride: :lame: :cry: :ride: :lol: :p

Edited by AliGee, May 09, 2012 - 01:52 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:27 PM

Why wouldn't it? The squadron unit draws 44 watts, according to the link provided. Typical DOT lamps require about 35, so obviously, the capacity is there. The whole YZ EFI system is DC, too so even if that mattered, as it would in the case of an HID, it's all good.

I have two questions for Baja Designs:

1) How does the light from the Squadron array compare to an 8" HID with a "composite" beam pattern?

2) Do you find that the EFI YZF starts normally with the light "always on", or does it do better with a switched off lamp?

• SilvFx

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:14 PM

AliGee...the off-road bike to plated bike conversion for Colorado is pretty simple. I converted 3 bikes (Husaberg FE450, KDX200 and WR250F) this past January (4 months ago) and my CSP inspector (Castle Rock) did not check for a DOT approved headlamp. DOT TIres....yep he checked. VIN checked. Engine nbr - checked. Never even had me start the bikes to prove the lights, horns, brake lights worked. I assume he noticed there was a rear view mirror, headlight and brake light mounted on the bike. YMMV up there in Summit County.

• AliGee

Posted May 10, 2012 - 07:30 AM

AliGee...the off-road bike to plated bike conversion for Colorado is pretty simple. I converted 3 bikes (Husaberg FE450, KDX200 and WR250F) this past January (4 months ago) and my CSP inspector (Castle Rock) did not check for a DOT approved headlamp. DOT TIres....yep he checked. VIN checked. Engine nbr - checked. Never even had me start the bikes to prove the lights, horns, brake lights worked. I assume he noticed there was a rear view mirror, headlight and brake light mounted on the bike. YMMV up there in Summit County.

Thanks SilvFx! :banghead: It is definitely easy to legalize in CO, thank God... The only problem with the YZF was the lack of a harness, which is why this is such exciting news for me. Definitely won't be able to afford it this summer, but it will probably be my winter project now. Baja Designs can consider me a future customer.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks SilvFx! :thumbsup: It is definitely easy to legalize in CO, thank God... The only problem with the YZF was the lack of a harness, which is why this is such exciting news for me.

Don't let too many Californians move there and get into the government, or it will be as impossible as it is here. :banghead:

The lack of a harness is a minor, easily corrected problem compared with the complete lack of any surplus electrical current. Fortunately, the EFI models have a much more powerful magento than the previous models did. Wiring is simple and cheap compared to the ~$1000 this would take on an '08.

• Baja Designs

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:09 AM

After debating for months over the WR and YZ... I just gave up the "legal" aspect and bought a YZ. You have NO idea how exciting this is to me!!! HAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHALRHO:EIREHR <----- Excitement.

:banghead: :thumbsup: :applause: :) :ride: :lame: :cry: :ride: :lol: :p

To be honest were not going to be making a DOT approved LED light. However we do have PWM dimmer that would allow you to dim the LED if you were to ride on the street http://www.bajadesig...-Dimmer-Box-Kit.

• Baja Designs

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Why wouldn't it? The squadron unit draws 44 watts, according to the link provided. Typical DOT lamps require about 35, so obviously, the capacity is there. The whole YZ EFI system is DC, too so even if that mattered, as it would in the case of an HID, it's all good.

I have two questions for Baja Designs:

1) How does the light from the Squadron array compare to an 8" HID with a "composite" beam pattern?

2) Do you find that the EFI YZF starts normally with the light "always on", or does it do better with a switched off lamp?

1) Our Squadron is brighter for trail riding and speeds under 55-60 MPH. The only thing our HID has on our Squadron LED is more throw at high speed scenarios.

2) For starting procedures the light has to be off before you start the motorcycle.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:35 AM

1) Our Squadron is brighter for trail riding and speeds under 55-60 MPH. The only thing our HID has on our Squadron LED is more throw at high speed scenarios.

2) For starting procedures the light has to be off before you start the motorcycle.

1) So the light from an HID like I described reflects visible light from a greater distance ahead of the bike? The speed range you cite is pretty usable for someone like me.

2) That's what I figured. The reason the bike has all that energy potential (100+ watts) in the first place is so it has the ability to drive the fuel pump and EFI at cranking speeds. It doesn't need close to that much power while it's running.

• Baja Designs

Posted May 11, 2012 - 11:08 AM

1) So the light from an HID like I described reflects visible light from a greater distance ahead of the bike? The speed range you cite is pretty usable for someone like me.

2) That's what I figured. The reason the bike has all that energy potential (100+ watts) in the first place is so it has the ability to drive the fuel pump and EFI at cranking speeds. It doesn't need close to that much power while it's running.

1) Yes, the HID light would throw out more light, it would be ideal for high speed situations. If you wanted to run our Squadron i would recommend using it for speeds between 55-60 MPH. If you have any more questions please fill free to PM me or call me.

Thanks,
Zach BD
760-560-2252

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 11, 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm really starting to find that for trail riding, LED is the way to go. It may not throw as far, but it seems to have a nice even spread with no real hot spots.

• upnorthbacon

Posted May 12, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Will these headlights work with the stock front brake cable?

• cowboyona426

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:36 AM

Makes me want a 2010-2012 even worse...

• Baja Designs

Posted May 14, 2012 - 11:08 AM

Will these headlights work with the stock front brake cable?

It depends if the front brake cable mount is on the lower triple clamp, if it is it will work. If not we have a universal cable guide that can make it work. If you have anymore questions please feel free to send me a PM or call me.

Thanks,
Zach BD
760-560-2252

• honda907

Posted May 15, 2012 - 03:21 AM

OK, this thread has me interested in turning my 2010 YZ into a street bike Dual Sport. How can I power a headlight with the generator on the bike and store current in a battery? Is this possible? I was told yesterday that the YZ cannot do this. Is the power output to run the EFI system DC? I would think, since I have what looks to be a rectifier on the left hand side below the tank and behind the radiator. Probably like 14.4 volts then, if this is true?

I know the new WR450 Yamaha can either run off the battery or of the generator. You can take the battery out of the bike to make it lighter for racing purposes. It is in the new DIRT BIKE magazine.. It uses pretty much the same EFI by Kehin, I think. Anybody any help on this?

The reason I am asking, is that in PA, the lights have to stay on for about 30 seconds without the bike running, hence you need a battery backup.

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:19 AM

How can I power a headlight with the generator on the bike and store current in a battery? Is this possible? I was told yesterday that the YZ cannot do this. Is the power output to run the EFI system DC?

There's no reason that I can see why it would not be able to (we're talking '10+ models only here). Do you have the manual, and can you read wiring schematics?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 15, 2012 - 09:50 AM

OK, this thread has me interested in turning my 2010 YZ into a street bike Dual Sport. How can I power a headlight with the generator on the bike and store current in a battery? Is this possible? I was told yesterday that the YZ cannot do this. Is the power output to run the EFI system DC? I would think, since I have what looks to be a rectifier on the left hand side below the tank and behind the radiator. Probably like 14.4 volts then, if this is true?

I know the new WR450 Yamaha can either run off the battery or of the generator. You can take the battery out of the bike to make it lighter for racing purposes. It is in the new DIRT BIKE magazine.. It uses pretty much the same EFI by Kehin, I think. Anybody any help on this?

The reason I am asking, is that in PA, the lights have to stay on for about 30 seconds without the bike running, hence you need a battery backup.

Wow a dual sport YZ450, how cool would that be? I don't see why running it through a battery would be a problem, but the Baja D harness is probably set up to just go direct to the light so it would probably have to be modified to run to the battery first and then to the light. Both Baja D and Trailtech offer the small nicad or nimh batteries to do this, but my concern would be overcharging the battery when the light is not on. The Trailtech reg/recs have an extra blue wire to prevent an overcharge to the battery, but your stock YZ450 reg/rec likely does not as it was never set up to run to a battery. Worst case scenario is you just run an extra stand alone circuit with the battery and another switch to satisfy your 30 second requirement and just charge the battery occasionally as needed.

• honda907

Posted May 15, 2012 - 02:49 PM

I will look at the wiring diagram tonight. I can rad them, but maybe I can scan the diagram and post it on here to get some feedback on what I can and can't do? Is that legal ffor me too do?

Baja designs said that I couldn't put a battery on this system (YZ 450), but maybe they are wrong. The Capacitor is tthe battery for thhe bike, so iit can''t work. ?? Why is that? Like I said, Dirt Bike magazine said that thee new WR can run with a battery or without, so I assume it has a cap also so it will start. Just speculating about that of course.

Yes they are cool for DP bikes. I used to do all my Hoondas CRF 450R's afterI was done racing them, but I have been buying Yamahas since 2009, and they couldn't run bigger generators in 09, and until recently, i haven't ried to do the EFI Yamaha because I couldn't find kits for them either.

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Baja designs said that I couldn't put a battery on this system (YZ 450), but maybe they are wrong. The Capacitor is tthe battery for thhe bike, so iit can''t work. ??

That could complicate things. I forgot about the capacitor. The effect that I'm certain of is that the battery would load the capacitor as soon as it was connected to the circuit, whether by direct connection or switch. Once loaded, there shouldn't be an issue, but the two might be better off isolated from each other, and that could be trickier. Probably would require a diode to allow current from the system to the battery, but prevent the battery from back feeding the ignition and fuel systems.

Otherwise, the system is already a voltage regulated, rectified 14 volt (nominal) DC circuit. The only thing it should really need is a switch to cut the battery off so the EFI doesn't stay hot while the bike's not running.

Not a simple thing, but I doubt it's impossible.

• honda907

Posted May 15, 2012 - 04:33 PM

just looked at the manual. Yep 14 VDC outt of the recctifier.. So put a diode in Series after the rrecctifierr to run the battery, and run the cap and battery in parallel? Then just put a toggle switch to make or break the circuit to the battey? actually, do you need a diode in the system if you , ah never mind. If I stall it, it needs to isolate the battery from the cap fast so I can just kick it right? That way the battery and cap are always isolated.

Edited by honda907, May 15, 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.