Installed new grips now throttle sticks

5 replies to this topic
  • supersmooth97

Posted May 09, 2012 - 11:13 AM

I feel really stupid but I installed new grips used grip glue and now the throttle sticks, to where I have to manually roll it off. I've check and the Ring (thumb side) is not glued to the bar or assembly so it's not sticking there. ONly thing I can think of is I compressed the throttle tube maybe if that's even possible. They were a bitch to get on. By the way they are just stock 7/8's inch bars. I realize I'm going to have to cut them off and buy another set, But not knowing what I did wrong is really pissing me off and I don't want to do it again LOL. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

• jayc250x

Posted May 09, 2012 - 12:14 PM

I feel really stupid but I installed new grips used grip glue and now the throttle sticks, to where I have to manually roll it off. I've check and the Ring (thumb side) is not glued to the bar or assembly so it's not sticking there. ONly thing I can think of is I compressed the throttle tube maybe if that's even possible. They were a bitch to get on. By the way they are just stock 7/8's inch bars. I realize I'm going to have to cut them off and buy another set, But not knowing what I did wrong is really pissing me off and I don't want to do it again LOL. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Odds are the inner rim of the grip is either hitting the throttle assembly, or you have a glop of glue in there. You DID take the throttle tube off of the throttle assembly before putting on the grips, I hope? If not, it's a blob of glue. Before cutting up anything, inspect the clearance of the grip inner flange, then take the throttle tube off and inspect it for stray glue. Clean up any stray glue, but if the rubber flange is hitting, you'll have to cut it out of the way.

JayC

• Justin Pearson

Posted May 09, 2012 - 12:20 PM

My bet is you got glue in the "end cap" of the throttle tube. They usually have a hole in there and sliding a grip on with too much glue could easily force glue in that hole. As already stated just remove the throttle tube and look down in there to see if there is a pile of glue. You can also get residue stuck to the handle bar end that will cause drag.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • joeprunc

Posted May 09, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Before you cut anything I would recommend you to loosen your throttle tube assembly, and slide it out 1/16" to 1/8" (away from the steering stem), then tighten it back up. I bet while you were trying to put them on, your tube slid inward and is now making contact with your hand bar end. All the throttle tubes I've seen have capped ends, so it would be pretty difficult to get glue in that way.

Also when ever you replace your grips I would recommend cleaning and lubricating your throttle tube per spec. You'd be surprised how much dirt and grim makes its way in there.

Edited by joeprunc, May 09, 2012 - 12:28 PM.

• XXXL408

Posted May 18, 2012 - 01:18 PM

I got new bars today and put the new grips on and checked the throttle and it was sticking.

I felt really stupid, and my husband gives me a hard time when I try to fix stuff and make a mistake.

I didn't understand the mechanics of the throttle tube and didn't realize you could get glue into the end. I got a lot of glue down in the end. I took the throttle off and the end of the bar had glue on it. Luckily it was gorilla glue and already dried. I just scraped off the dried stuff, and scraped off the dried stuff from inside the tube. Then I checked that the throttle was twisting properly before I put it back onto the bar.

Got it all fixed.

Thanks for the post! Nice to know I'm not the first person to make this mistake.

• XXXL408

Posted May 18, 2012 - 01:19 PM

Oh yeah, and I didn't have to do any cutting, so unless you screwed it up really bad you can probably fix it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Basic Pipe and Carb Mod Question by HondaRacer37

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 50/70/110
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR650SE 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR650SE 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR-Z70 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Going 1,500 miles on a DR200 is it possible? by jOsEpHgArCiA

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Suzuki DR650SE 2015 by Chris.GVS

Suzuki DR650SE 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.