Oil Question

3 replies to this topic
  • 1999400F

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Recently the head on my YZ400F blew up and when I repaired it and changed the oil I found a large amount of shavings in the oil. I thought I got it all out but after this recent change there is a few flakes, not much. Is this common for the bike to have some flakes in the oil?

• RasmusDK

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Yes :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I thought I got (all the metal) out but after this recent change there is a few flakes..

Metal debris is normal to an extent, yes. Most of it would come from the clutch and transmission.

I'm curious whether you disassembled the whole engine, or did you just "wash it out"? Did you clean the oil tank in the frame?

• 1999400F

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:36 PM

drained it and then used cheap oil for a few minutes then re drained and did it a few tiems. after about 6 hours you can see very very fine metal flakes and some black shit but from what I've read that is all normal

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.