Dr.D's engine relocation kit

29 replies to this topic
  • mx4life421

Posted June 04, 2012 - 01:52 PM

I have a question,
Im trying to decide what to buy, the DRD kit or a link. My trouble is im having trouble laying it over (maybe because I have the forks flush with the clamp to eliminate the stink bug feel)
So do I go with the link So I can rise the forks so It will turn quicker (no more stink bug)
Or do I go with the DRD kit, and I will still have to have the forks flush beause the stink bug feeling...
HELP!!!!
weight 155 w/o gear
Intermediate rider
(if skill and weight are factors)

• rotax800

Posted June 04, 2012 - 02:28 PM

The good news is you've still got room for improvement by going to a heavier spring and/or going to 100mm of sag. It will turn much better with less sag.The manual recommends 90-100 mm.

Have a cheeseburger and a beer! :cry:

Thanks, Think I will !

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2012 - 03:48 PM

weight 155 w/o gear
Intermediate rider

In your case, I would do nothing until after you get the right springs for your weight.

• mx4life421

Posted June 04, 2012 - 04:17 PM

lighter or stiffer springs?

• FZ1426

Posted June 04, 2012 - 05:54 PM

I have a question,
Im trying to decide what to buy, the DRD kit or a link. My trouble is im having trouble laying it over (maybe because I have the forks flush with the clamp to eliminate the stink bug feel)
So do I go with the link So I can rise the forks so It will turn quicker (no more stink bug)
Or do I go with the DRD kit, and I will still have to have the forks flush beause the stink bug feeling...
HELP!!!!
weight 155 w/o gear
Intermediate rider

I think MXA magazine has done nothing but insert nonsense into the minds of the MX community with this "stinkbug" BS. It started with the current generation of CRF450 and now it's a buzzword that has no bearing on the YZ.

You can raise the forks regardless of whether you have a lowering link or the kit. At 155 you should have no issues with the front being too soft or riding too low. If you don't have enough sag in the rear reduce your spring preload. If you're at the minimum preload then get a softer spring.

If you're too short (or light) for the bike then maybe a lowering link would be good for you. Again, at 155 the YZ is a big bike for you.

People seem to have this link thing confused. A bike set up like a "stinkbug" will turn really well. A lowering link will do the opposite and make it harder to turn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • upnorthbacon

Posted June 04, 2012 - 11:17 PM

I was in the same situation and went with a yamalink and made a huge difference in turning. I've heard the engine reposition kits work well also. I'm now going to a full suspension revalve/respring so I'm going back to the stock link and selling the yamalink. I didn't get a chance to play with the link too much but with the forks flush with the caps and the link in (I was a little too heavy for the stock spring to begin with) it reminded me of my buddies WR very predictible turning. With the lowering link it made the suspension slightly softer and I was already in need of a stiffer spring so it likely would have been even better had I not decided to completely overhaul my suspension. I went with a link originally because I like the light front end on the bike and also liked the idea that I got more adjustability from the link over just moving weight forward with the engine reposition. It seems like all the magazines are raving about new linkage and the reposition kits. I'm guessing either one will likely help.

• luvnoldcars

Posted June 05, 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have a question,
HELP!!!!
weight 155 w/o gear
Intermediate rider

i weigh 160 without gear. i have stock fork springs with forks flush. 5.4 kg rear sping with 95 to 100 mm of sag and drd kit. its the best bike i have ever owned. this bike loves to be layed over in turns. as far as my sag goes i said 95 to 100mm because i set the sag at 100 then adjusted it 1/8 turn tighter at a time until the feeling of the steering stem being to tight on straits went away. this also helps with the wiggle feeling when going into turns.

Edited by luvnoldcars, June 05, 2012 - 02:01 PM.

• stroker101

Posted June 23, 2012 - 01:05 PM

is DRD the only one who sell's this kit? i've only seen 1 kit on EBay (sceptical about buying it) and haven't seen any where else.

thx

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Lightspeed sold the original. It moved the engine 2mm forward using the OEM front mounts. DRD came along shortly after with their 3mm kit.

• stroker101

Posted June 24, 2012 - 03:18 AM

thx Gray for the info. the unit on EBay is being sold by someone who has zero history. that's why i'm reluctant to purchase,...not being that it's a Dubach product (just so everyone know's the reason lol)

i'm in need of doing something with this 2011 YZ450F with it's issue of sliding out unexpectedly. fork tubes are raised 4mm, which helped some but had a scary experience thursday night at practice. also the front seems to slide out from under the bike if the jump face is damp

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.