Help with overheating

31 replies to this topic
  • n16ht5

Posted May 10, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hey stealth pm me yer number I can help you out.

99pos... Search button is your friend

• Stealth13

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Can anyone help with this? Tried to pm you night

• td42ti

Posted May 14, 2012 - 03:43 AM

Pooley has given you the answer. Jet the bike properly. Your mates bike doesn't overheat because it is jetted properly! Sounds like you really don't want to jet it! Why have you taken it back to the mechanic when the answer has been given to you! Do you want a different answer? You asked a question and you got the answer!
Sorry if it sounds harsh but why ask the question if you are not willing to listen to the knowledgable answers you are provided!

Edited by td42ti, May 14, 2012 - 03:44 AM.

• proamature

Posted May 14, 2012 - 05:33 AM

Mine is no longer overheating. But this may seem a bit off topic. If the bike won't idle and chokes off but does fine when giving gas. Should u move the needle up? I've tried the air/fuel mixture screw from closed to 5 turns out nothing, tried Turing the idle up nothing. What should I do

• nuckingfutts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hey stealth.. it sounds like your bike is hella lean. Mine was doing similar things..culprit...fuel screw oring not seated, it was sucking air. Take a can of carb cleaner, with bike running, spray around carb boots, and anywhere else it may be sucking air. If you have an rpm change while spraying carb cleaner, you have an air leak.

• Stealth13

Posted May 14, 2012 - 06:13 AM

Pooley has given you the answer. Jet the bike properly. Your mates bike doesn't overheat because it is jetted properly! Sounds like you really don't want to jet it! Why have you taken it back to the mechanic when the answer has been given to you! Do you want a different answer? You asked a question and you got the answer!
Sorry if it sounds harsh but why ask the question if you are not willing to listen to the knowledgable answers you are provided!

My buddy bought his brand new in 09 and hasn't done anything to the bike besides the dealer uncorked it and he doesn't know what that means.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stealth13

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:40 AM

can someone explain where the pilot jet is? In the manual it shows right beside the main jet but when i take off that cap with the 17mm I only feel the main jet in there.

• n16ht5

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:10 AM

its way up in there. use a tiny flat head screw driver for one andb6mm for other

• Stealth13

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:26 AM

So it's in the same cap? I used a 6mm I think for the main, so I have to reach past that one with a flathead? How am I supposed to get it back in after ??

• nuckingfutts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hey stealth.. it sounds like your bike is hella lean. Mine was doing similar things..culprit...fuel screw oring not seated, it was sucking air. Take a can of carb cleaner, with bike running, spray around carb boots, and anywhere else it may be sucking air. If you have an rpm change while spraying carb cleaner, you have an air leak.

Let me clarify further.. my bike ran ok. header would glow within 30 seconds of idling. very rough idle. After air leak was fixed (lean condition) bike runs great. I have had this issue on more than one bike. The intake manifold AKA carb boot, is a big culprit of this..not properly seated, a crack, which is very difficult to see, or any other part of the carb (fuel screw) ect. can cause this. Diagnosing is simple. Your rpms should not change if you spray a properly sealed carb with carb spray (outside). If they do, that is your problem. You can muck around all day changing jets ect, and problem will still remain if you are sucking air.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 15, 2012 - 04:05 AM

The easiest way to work on the carb is to take it off. Notice I said easiest, not quickest. Stealth, you need to find some riding buddies that can help you work on that bike.
Maniac

• Stealth13

Posted May 15, 2012 - 06:32 AM

The easiest way to work on the carb is to take it off. Notice I said easiest, not quickest. Stealth, you need to find some riding buddies that can help you work on that bike.
Maniac

I got tons of riding buddies but they all take their bikes to mechanics and I want to learn this stuff myself.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.