Need help timing an 02 wr426.

4 replies to this topic
  • Nick777

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:17 AM

I am having a real hard time with this, hopefully someone can give a few tips or tricks to timing my 02 wr426. How do you get the I timing mark on the flywheel to stay and not just roll past it? And once you do get it on time on the flywheel whats the trick to keeping it in place while you make sure the camshafts are aligned with the head, because it seems like the second you move the cam chain it rolls past the I.

• mauricedorris

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:22 AM

the trick is... keep your ratchet on the flywheel nut, but reverse it so it won't move. The ratchet will hold in place and will not move. Mine says there while I am putting the cams in.

Edited by mauricedorris, May 08, 2012 - 10:23 AM.

• Nick777

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:25 AM

ive been leaving it on the nut, havnt tried reversing it yet though. And when setting the timing on the flywheel should both camshafts and both camshaft covers be installed? Then once you have the flywheel set then remove the camshafts to align them?

• byggd

Posted May 08, 2012 - 12:15 PM

Find a bolt that will thread into the inspection hole and "gently" tighten in against the flywheel.

Edited by byggd, May 08, 2012 - 12:29 PM.

• mauricedorris

Posted May 08, 2012 - 12:27 PM

ive been leaving it on the nut, havnt tried reversing it yet though. And when setting the timing on the flywheel should both camshafts and both camshaft covers be installed? Then once you have the flywheel set then remove the camshafts to align them?

yes... you have to put the cams and cam caps back on. Don't forget to release the tensioner. You have to take the slack out of the timing chain to see where the marks really are. Once I figured that out, it lines up just like it says in the book.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.