If you were to leave the Yamaha what brand would you jump to and why

29 replies to this topic
  • MXKyle

Posted May 14, 2012 - 05:20 AM

You are hoping for Yamaha to make some kind of a mid year update? Chances of that are slim and none, may as well go green now if that's what you want to do.

Who said any thing about mid year? You probably never noticed that Yamaha has held to a three year plan on major updates like frame geometry changes. You must have also missed the part about me riding Yamaha for 17 years which means that I do know when to anticipate changes. If Yamaha has the money to spend it is time for one of those changes. If that happens I will have the first 2013 YZ I can get my hands on. If not then the 2013 Kawaker.

--KT--

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:21 AM

Who said any thing about mid year? You probably never noticed that Yamaha has held to a three year plan on major updates like frame geometry changes. You must have also missed the part about me riding Yamaha for 17 years which means that I do know when to anticipate changes. If Yamaha has the money to spend it is time for one of those changes. If that happens I will have the first 2013 YZ I can get my hands on. If not then the 2013 Kawaker.

--KT--

Maybe my assumption was wrong, but you stated if Yamaha did not make some changes, you would be on a Kawasaki by "the end of the year". I guess what you are saying is that you will know by the end of the year whether Yamaha plans to make changes by 2013? I would also expect them to make changes, but to me they would probably not need to be anything major. It seems a little work on continuing to tweek the chassis or motor mounts would go a long way with this bike and not involve a great investment.

• Pmason718

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:30 PM

thanks for the input guys I think I'm going to keep it and put in more seat time

• cowboyona426

Posted May 15, 2012 - 06:04 AM

I'd probably have to go with a KTM but I have no intention of straying from Yamaha.

• aja342

Posted May 17, 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'd leave my Yamaha...for my dream bike.

Take a '12 KTM 250SX, E-start cases from the KTM 300 and the Power Parts big bore kit (300), Showa A-Kit, and white plastic. So yeah 14K to get me off a YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcmxracing

Posted May 18, 2012 - 12:59 PM

This cracks me up. Stew rides like crap and everyone wants to jump ship. Oh well. I've ridden all of the new bikes except KTM. Stock the KX seemed the best overall for me, felt a little heavy which hasn't changed since the first KX 450. The Zuk is nice but the power was boring, doesn't mean you can't go fast or faster on it, just didn't excite me. If I had a plan to improve the engine the RMZ would be first choice. The Honda felt boring and disconnected, like there was a hinge in the middle of the bike, not at all comfortable on it.
The superlatives of my '10 YZ450 will keep me on the Yamaha brand for the time being. I take a ton of crap because it's "different" or "ugly", whatever. I love the suspension and engine and the tuner option. The light front end reminds me of a 2 stroke so that's a plus in my book and OBTW I have NEVER had the front wash out. The problem when I first had it before suspension work was that it would tuck/knife NOT push. (My '06 YZ450 had a horrible push).

What have I done to the bike?
Suspension work: Stiffer fork, softer shock, link. I've been experimenting with the fork tubes flush with clamp (down to where the cap meets the fork tube) and I find it tracks better in berms and loose corners and is even more stable in the straights and under braking.
Engine: Yosh pipe
Gearing: One tooth up on the rear
Bars: Windham

p.s. I'm 5'10" 180lbs

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:29 PM

I take a ton of crap because it's "different" or "ugly", whatever.

Interesting. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the YZ is by far the best looking bike out there. There is something about the lines of the tank/shrouds combined with that airy looking subframe that just works.

• marv02

Posted May 18, 2012 - 08:02 PM

If I had a extra $10k l would get the KTM 500EXC also but once you get get any new bike I going to drop a couple extra grand into it to make just right for you're self.

I have a 2000 YZ 426 now I just purchased.

I hung up my boots and stop riding 4 years ago.

The YZ426 is so just to go out every now and scrach my ich.

I had a 2006 KTM SM 560 RFS converted to full dirt that was a bike big bore 6 speed heavy but it had stupid topend speeds and gobs of low end that was a bike thats for sure.

I also had at the same time a CR450X frame with a CR500 2 stoke motor stuffed in to it that was also fun and light but didn't have the stupid topend speed of the KTM.

I am going though the YZ426 making a bike for me like I said once I get the bike home I going to tear into it any ways I rode my 426 a total of 40 feet before I tore it apart my wife just looks at me and shakes her head at me you got to love it LOL.

KTM 500 EXC...... I want a plate!

Edited by marv02, May 18, 2012 - 08:06 PM.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 24, 2012 - 10:32 AM

If I were to switch to another brand it would be a Suzuki. Why? .......Just because there contingency payout is the most of all brands and you can race the bike for 3 years instead of just 2 like the other brands.

I only race MX and have all ways rode Yamaha's since 2003. I have a friend that owns the Yamaha shop were I purchase them from and have been friends with him for more than 20 years. He only sells Yamaha's which makes it hard if you wanted some other brand.

The worst thing about Yamaha I think .......is the contingency payout. If you buy a new bike (like say a 2013). You cant be eligible for contingency until 2013 or maybe November something of 2012. Anyways ......you can only race it for two years and get contingency money. 1st=$75.00 2nd=$50.00 and 3rd=$25.00 This is the only places that Yamaha pays out for my series. There has to be at least 5 riders in the class that you are in also.

Now for Suzuki !........ You can race a new bike for 3 years and there only has to be 3 riders in your calss and 1st place pays $150.00 2nd $100.00 3rd=$75.00 4th=$50.00 and 5th=$25.00

So if you are in a class with just three riders and you win then you get $150.00 but if you place 2nd or 3rd then you dont. It just pays for 1st place when there is only three riders but more than three then it pays regular.

Just seems like to me that if you race then Suzuki would be the way to go since it pays out more places and pays the most. Especially if you are someone who at least places in the top five every race.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 24, 2012 - 10:43 AM

i have been trying to leave Yamaha's and go to KTM's for the past year. However, I just absolutely cannot part with my wr450. I just can't...

The riding position on the KTM's are excellent. If you have the patience to fix a couple things with the 08-09 motors, the durability of the valve train is about as good as the Yamaha's. Pistons last also. But the main reasons are that the riding position of the KTM is really good. Its not top heavy and feels lighter when moving. The KTM's are also a little bit easier to work on than yamaha's. Its hard to believe, but that's the truth.

I've parted with the yz250's in the past year (no real attachment), but I cannot part with my wr450. Just can't...

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.