California Premium Gasoline

3 replies to this topic
  • Glen_T

Posted September 08, 2001 - 09:17 PM

Does anyone know why I can no longer get 92 octane premium here in CA? All the stations I've been in in the last two weeks have changed their pumps to 91 octane. Nobody seems to know why. I've read that race fuel is not good for the yz carb gaskets, although I know many people on this chat use race fuel. I'm concerned that the 91 octane will knock and damage the engine over time. What is a good substitue without going for race fuel? Maybe a mix of avgas and pump gas?

GLEN

• yzernie

Posted September 09, 2001 - 03:23 AM

Glen,

Stay away from the Avgas as it is made for fixed throttle operation. Dirtbike riding is anything but fixed throttle!! You can mix pump gas and race fuel 50/50 or even 3 gals pump with one gal race fuel. That will get you octane high enough to satisfy these engines.

I have owned YZF's since they first came out at the end of 97. I have used straight race gas in these bikes without any carb problems. I like the consistency associated with the racing fuels. You can buy pump gas one time and it will be 91 octane and the next time it will be 90.4 octane. Especially here in California, pump gas contains so many additives and anti smog agents that I worry it will not be what the engine needs.

Hope this helps you out, Ernie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_Higdon

Posted September 09, 2001 - 05:09 AM

I agree with the fuel recommendation, the only way I could get consistent (and good) plug readings was to mix pump and race fuel to run a 100 octane mix and it runs great!

• Glen_T

Posted September 11, 2001 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for your imput YZ & Tom,

I'm cheap, but I guess I'll have to opt for the race mix in the future.

GLEN

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.