Rmz 450 spring and oil filter put in backwards

14 replies to this topic
  • jensen_927

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:52 PM

So I changed the oil in my bike and I put the spring on the inside of the oil filter instead of the outside. I rode for about an hour and my bike died and some oil leaked out. I'm an idiot when it comes to motors. What do I need to do to fix it?

• jjhubbard15

Posted May 04, 2012 - 06:51 PM

if the spring didnt get pushed up the oil passage you should be fine, all you did was bypass the filter for an hour, cross your fingers that you didnt get some junk in your tight tolerence stuff, put it together correctly and try it again

• jensen_927

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:12 PM

I put it back together the right way and it is stil not firing. What could have happened with it like that?

• jjhubbard15

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:21 PM

nothing that im aware of, you may have a different issue, even if crap got by the filter it wouldnt keep it from firing, try cleaning your jets if its a carb bike, what bike is it btw?

• jjhubbard15

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:26 PM

you didnt put the filter in backwords did you? that would have blocked oil completely...

• jensen_927

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:31 PM

I don't think so. But you never know. This happened about a year ago and I'm just trying to get it going again. I just don't understand why oil leaked out when it died. Before it died it was running perfect and no weird noises or anything like that.i will get a friend over tomorrow and look at things som more and get back to you about it. I feel like an idiot I'm not good with this stuff but i gotta learn one way or another

• jensen_927

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:46 PM

The bike is an 07 rmz 450 I cleaned the carb when this happened because I was low on gas so I thought something plugged up the carb

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jjhubbard15

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:49 PM

ok well the only thing that comes to mind is that you may have put it in backward and blocked the oil passage which would have seized the engine

• jensen_927

Posted May 04, 2012 - 10:14 PM

Alright well that sucks. Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to have it rebuilt

• Towelie

Posted May 05, 2012 - 04:19 AM

Alright well that sucks. Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to have it rebuilt

around two grand to have a shop do it. If are you in the metro area PM for a guys number, he is very good and much cheaper than the dealers

• jensen_927

Posted May 05, 2012 - 11:02 AM

I am about an hour out of grand junction,co

• Towelie

Posted May 05, 2012 - 02:49 PM

I am about an hour out of grand junction,co

No idea then

• Tailender

Posted May 05, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Can you still kick the motor over? If you can it's not seized, pull the plug wire and put a plug in it and ground it against the motor and check for spark. You may have an unrelated issue just so happen to come up.

• jensen_927

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:33 AM

Yeah I can still kick it over. I am getting spark too

• Tailender

Posted May 07, 2012 - 04:23 PM

If it has spark, it should run, if it has air and gas. Filter clean? How about the screen in the tank on the petcock? Maybe no fuel getting to the carb? How are the valves? In spec? Where was the oil leaking from when it stopped running?

Edited by Tailender, May 07, 2012 - 04:24 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.