2011 yz450 first woods mod to tame down?

9 replies to this topic
  • upnorthbacon

Posted May 04, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Picking up a holdover 2011 yz450 that I'm using for hare scrambles. I've heard they can be a handful in the woods. Should I buy the yamaha FI tuner or Yamaha flywheel weight? Thinking of G2 throttle cam down the road if needed too. I'm riding an RM250 and previously had a yz426 and yz250 and I'm not sure what to expect power wise from the new 450?

• AliGee

Posted May 04, 2012 - 03:40 PM

Picking up a holdover 2011 yz450 that I'm using for hare scrambles. I've heard they can be a handful in the woods. Should I buy the yamaha FI tuner or Yamaha flywheel weight? Thinking of G2 throttle cam down the road if needed too. I'm riding an RM250 and previously had a yz426 and yz250 and I'm not sure what to expect power wise from the new 450?

I just got on to a 2010 YZ450F after coming off a YZ250. The bottom end is really going to be the biggest change... especially in first. It'll pull right up if you're not careful. IMO a flywheel weight is pointless when you can map it differently with a power tuner. The beautiful thing about FI is to be able to get rid of all the stupid little mods you'd have to do otherwise. I would highly suggest the power tuner... it's an absolute breeze and probably the best invention since the engine. HA! I have a woods map, as well as several other maps... The woods map really sets up the bike for just that. There are also several other maps that really take the punch off the bottom. I've ridden the different maps all over... From the woods to the track. It's pretty crazy how you can change your bike's power by pressing a button.

Edited by AliGee, May 04, 2012 - 03:44 PM.

• yz-moto

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Definitely try remapping to your liking. I personally haven't found a need for a flywheel weight after remapping. Even in the tightest single track I do not have a problem with stalling on my '10. Instead I decided to invest money in mods for protection such as radiator cages, full skid plate, handguards, rotor guards etc.

• upnorthbacon

Posted May 04, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Sweet that's what I was hoping to hear! I'll pick up the tuner with it!

• AliGee

Posted May 04, 2012 - 06:37 PM

Sweet that's what I was hoping to hear! I'll pick up the tuner with it!

Yeap, get ready to fall in love with riding all over again... I still sit on my bike everyday and go "I can't believe this is mine". The FI has allowed me to spend so much more time on other mods (as the other guy said), and less time on stupid issues like jetting, fly wheel weights, etc. If you're not feeling like riding a bullet, you just plug it in and press a button... If you wake up and feel like f**kin' things up a bit... Same thing. Your bike literally becomes an extension of yourself. Maybe I'm getting too deep now but MAN you're gonna love it!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • upnorthbacon

Posted May 11, 2012 - 03:36 AM

Wow I hooked up he programmer and programmed in the woods map and it really was night and day! Much more manageable power! I really don't like how the throttle is only about 1/4 turn though and will be swapping out a G2 throttle tamer since I had a couple whiskey throttle moments with the stock one! I'm also going to regear to a 50t to lower 1st gear, but I see absolutely no need for a flywheel so far!

• AliGee

Posted May 12, 2012 - 03:15 PM

Wow I hooked up he programmer and programmed in the woods map and it really was night and day! Much more manageable power! I really don't like how the throttle is only about 1/4 turn though and will be swapping out a G2 throttle tamer since I had a couple whiskey throttle moments with the stock one! I'm also going to regear to a 50t to lower 1st gear, but I see absolutely no need for a flywheel so far!

Good to hear! I remember how shocked I was when I spent the day messing around with the mapping. I personally love the woods map that has been provided in the EFI mapping thread. If you don't want to go with the G2 throttle tamer, there is a map that is specifically made to lengthen the turn and make the power band a lot more smooth. Coming off a 2t, I have definitely had my fair share of whiskey throttle moments. :banghead: Glad to hear you won't be needing the fly wheel though. The beauty of the EFI!

• Jonnoh

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Did you enter the numbers for the woods map the same way it is listed in the forum? If you go to the link for the article the map came from, they have the throttle openings upside down (full throttle at the bottom). Based on that, you would need to flip the 1/4 and full throttle numbers for the FI. The ignition setting is the same if you flip them around, so no concern there, just with the FI.

Anyone else notice this and which is correct? The original article or the way it is posted here?

• luckyguy19

Posted November 20, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Has anyone tried this map with a quiet core exhaust? My bike does not run great with the FMF 4.1 w quiet/SA insert and the Jay Marmont map.

• luckyguy19

Posted November 20, 2012 - 08:27 AM

Did you enter the numbers for the woods map the same way it is listed in the forum? If you go to the link for the article the map came from, they have the throttle openings upside down (full throttle at the bottom). Based on that, you would need to flip the 1/4 and full throttle numbers for the FI. The ignition setting is the same if you flip them around, so no concern there, just with the FI.

Anyone else notice this and which is correct? The original article or the way it is posted here?

It looks like both the original article and the map on here are upside down for FI. It makes more sense when its flipped, considering what they were going for with the map. I'm gonna try the map flipped and see how it works.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.