How do you properly warm up a 2 stroke? how do you guys do it? whats your opinion?

OH MY EFFING GOD. :banghead:

It's sort of weird. These guys keep their equipment so nice?? It's weird to think they'd treat their bike like that..I mean that's top notch riding gear, trailer, pulled by a car (that's pretty key) and also ripping off any sort of fender on your bike is only something the experienced POS owner's do. SMH. What a joke. I guarantee you neither of those bikes are running today. That is, unless he put up an ad on craislist "new top end, never raced!" LOL!!

Idle on warm up? Hmm, I've always jumped on and gone (extremely gentle however, nothing above like an 1/8 throttle).

This video (at 2:30) Jeff Slavens says not let it idle, but to gently "blow it out". But now seeing that all you guys let it idle for warm up I'm beginning to question my self. I've never had any motor issues so it's worked so far.

It's sort of weird. These guys keep their equipment so nice?? It's weird to think they'd treat their bike like that..I mean that's top notch riding gear, trailer, pulled by a car (that's pretty key) and also ripping off any sort of fender on your bike is only something the experienced POS owner's do. SMH. What a joke. I guarantee you neither of those bikes are running today. That is, unless he put up an ad on craislist "new top end, never raced!" LOL!!

I don't know if this holds water.. but whenever I see a bike on craigslist that says never raced... it means it wasn't taken care of either. Probably 80% on the time (I made that statistic up) :banghead:

ill have to look into that and maybe make a video for you lol i think i might have been exaggerating but i can remember stopping in the middle of a ride right after i got the bike back from the shop just checkin everything and i can remember just holding my bare finger against the cylinder wall with out getting burned. i was very impressed, and i have my carb jetted and set properly and run 40:1 mix

what kinda bike is this? just curious because i run engine ice as well and my cylinder will burn the piss out of you if you touch it after running the bike at normal operating temp. sorry i gotta call bs without proof.

I don't know if this holds water.. but whenever I see a bike on craigslist that says never raced... it means it wasn't taken care of either. Probably 80% on the time (I made that statistic up) :banghead:

That's exactly why I said it..Hasn't been raced doesn't mean jack shit to a buyer, unless it's a moron seller and buyer.

what kinda bike is this? just curious because i run engine ice as well and my cylinder will burn the piss out of you if you touch it after running the bike at normal operating temp. sorry i gotta call bs without proof.

its a 99 yz125 lol you have every right to not believe it, i think i might be wrong but i cant remember lol i forgot to try it today while i was riding, next time i ride ill try it and link a video to this thread

A little off topic, but it seems this thread is getting that way.

I have been told its common practice for some guys to buy a new bike,

get all new plastics,

race the $#@% out of it,

replace the new plastics with the original(unused) plastics,

and sell it to some poor unsuspecting young guy looking for his first bike and tell him it's had hardly any use.

"look at the plastics, this thing hasn't even been dropped in the dirt!

Now to go on topic to keep the moderators happy, I agree with most of the posts, start it, put on my helmet and gloves, blip it a while till it gets a bit warm, roll it round nice and easy for a while,

I usually have to ride a little way to around the parking area if I'm at trail rides anyway, and then ease into it. I don't race so I'm usually not going all out till the bikes been running for 5-10 minutes.

A guy commented on one of my youtube videos, in the video i had my 99 yz125 and the 01 yz125 side by side getting started for the first time after rebuilds, both bikes running 15:1 miz for break in and the 99 wasent even jetted properly for the new exhaust. the guy asked me how both of the bikes did not foul the plugs? i have never seen a 2 stroke foul a plug from idling. i really havent ever. theres obviously something wrong with the bike if it fouls plugs from idling cuz mine dont do it.

A little off topic, but it seems this thread is getting that way.

I have been told its common practice for some guys to buy a new bike,

get all new plastics,

race the $#@% out of it,

replace the new plastics with the original(unused) plastics,

and sell it to some poor unsuspecting young guy looking for his first bike and tell him it's had hardly any use.

"look at the plastics, this thing hasn't even been dropped in the dirt!

Well to be blunt, if the plastics are all you look at as a selling point on a bike, then you deserve to be had! I mean no offense, but anyone who is experienced in working on or maintaining their bike knows what to look for and even anyone who hasn't ever had a bike should at least have the common sense to know what part of the bike is the motor, exhaust, etc. etc. At least do the homework and know what to look for and what questions to ask. I have an idiot friend who just wanted a dirt bike and picked one by looks, because it's in his nature to well...be an idiot. He rode it around his neighborhood and yard for a couple weeks until it randomly died and it's been sitting for almost 6 months since. I already know the plug is fouled on it, but he can't even change that. I also gave him the OEM manual for free, and still she sits. He's not interested in learning mechanic work, and also can't pay one. He just wants to "race" he says. So far he has installed an american eagle/flag on the front fender and a long flame decal on the rear and even the edge tips of the flame/sticker are hanging off the rear so they flap in the wind. Well, they don't flap in anything since they've been installed.

I guess my point is some people just deserve it.

Edited by BlackCR25098
  • Like 1

Well to be blunt, if the plastics are all you look at as a selling point on a bike, then you deserve to be had! I mean no offense, but anyone who is experienced in working on or maintaining their bike knows what to look for and even anyone who hasn't ever had a bike should at least have the common sense to know what part of the bike is the motor, exhaust, etc. etc. At least do the homework and know what to look for and what questions to ask. I have an idiot friend who just wanted a dirt bike and picked one by looks, because it's in his nature to well...be an idiot. He rode it around his neighborhood and yard for a couple weeks until it randomly died and it's been sitting for almost 6 months since. I already know the plug is fouled on it, but he can't even change that. I also gave him the OEM manual for free, and still she sits. He's not interested in learning mechanic work, and also can't pay one. He just wants to "race" he says. So far he has installed an american eagle/flag on the front fender and a long flame decal on the rear and even the edge tips of the flame/sticker are hanging off the rear so they flap in the wind. Well, they don't flap in anything since they've been installed.

I guess my point is some people just deserve it.

You obviously didn't read that properly.

and sell it to some poor unsuspecting young guy looking for his first bike

they also usually need far less maintenance than a racers bike would

Besides the engine, almost everything else on the bike has the same maintenance schedule whether you race or not.  Stuff like wheel, linkage and shock bearings can be more intensive on an offroad bike.

Edited by kan3

Besides the engine, almost everything else on the bike has the same maintenance schedule whether you race or not. Stuff like wheel, linkage and shock bearings can be more intensive on an offroad bike.

not true. everything wears faster in race conditions; oil, fork and shock oil, wheel bearings, linkage, swingarms, tires, everything wears at an accelerated rate when racing for most.

not true. everything wears faster in race conditions; oil, fork and shock oil, wheel bearings, linkage, swingarms, tires, everything wears at an accelerated rate when racing for most.

My point wasn't that wear doesn't increase it's that the maintenance schedule is nearly the same whether you race or not. MX motos are short and the average rider, that I'm familiar with, only ride down about ~15% from race pace when riding normally. Your normal "racer" is going to have nearly the same schedule whether he did those 2 motos on the weekend or just rode the track. If you want to talk about enduro or hs racers then things are different.

Maybe my opinion is skewed but if your normal racer rides 5 hours a week and 30min are racing then that extra 15%-20% output is minimal. His maintenance schedule is the same.

You obviously didn't read that properly.

and sell it to some poor unsuspecting young guy looking for his first bike

Oh no, I read it perfectly, which is why I made the point about people who DO know what to look for an even people who DON'T. Did you not read my entire reply?

In my experience, casual riders do far less maintenance on their bikes than racers do.

What's really nice is being a casual rider that is into working on my bike as much as a race mechanic, doing a full breakdown each week (not the motor, it's already been rebuilt) :banghead: If I rode that weekend or what not. That way the bike doesn't get clapped out and is much easier to clean and maintain and ultimately, enjoy! Which I enjoy working on it and keeping it ready as can be, almost as much as I enjoy riding. There's a bit of a mental enjoyment too twisting that throttle, hitting the jump, or laying it into that berm, knowing I tightened and tweaked everything and it's all right, that just makes it that much more enjoyable too! I think my woman gets a little jealous of the bike though sometimes lol but that's women for ya. Here's to taking care of our machines ?

Edited by BlackCR25098

What's really nice is being a casual rider that is into working on my bike as much as a race mechanic, doing a full breakdown each week (not the motor, it's already been rebuilt) :banghead: If I rode that weekend or what not. That way the bike doesn't get clapped out and is much easier to clean and maintain and ultimately, enjoy! Which I enjoy working on it and keeping it ready as can be, almost as much as I enjoy riding. There's a bit of a mental enjoyment too twisting that throttle, hitting the jump, or laying it into that berm, knowing I tightened and tweaked everything and it's all right, that just makes it that much more enjoyable too! I think my woman gets a little jealous of the bike though sometimes lol but that's women for ya. Here's to taking care of our machines ?

i know exactly what your talking about lol i feel that way every time i ride, in the video i linked earlier in this thread of my 2 bikes, i rebuilt the 99 yz 125 from the ground up total rebuild all by myself and im only 15yrs old. i fired it up for the first time back in october and it still runs great :applause: Edited by kellett25

i know exactly what your talking about lol i feel that way every time i ride, in the video i linked earlier in this thread of my 2 bikes, i rebuilt the 99 yz 125 from the ground up total rebuild all by myself and im only 15yrs old. i fired it up for the first time back in october and it still runs great ?

You are a true rider my friend :banghead: Kids I know your age are plain spoiled rotten. Daddy takes care of everything from gear, to several new bikes, to complete rebuilds, all the way down to something as simple as loading up and unloading on practice days. We all get out of the truck at the end of the day and the kid just gets out and walks inside to play video games while me and his father are left with ALL of our gear and 4 bikes to unload. I just shake my head..It's good to see or hear about a 15 year old taking up good habits like this. I was expecting to get flamed for promoting good habits, so equally as refreshing to see I'm not. Keep it up man.

Edited by BlackCR25098