Michigan

May 12th, Big Bear & Crapo Creek trails

14 replies to this topic
  • adam728

Posted May 04, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Getting up north for mother's day weekend. Planning to hit both the Big Bear and Crapo Creek loops.

Plan is to park at these coordinates - 44.945058,-84.369979

http://maps.google.c...&t=h&gl=us&z=16

It's an open sandy area on Meridian Line road, right where the connector trail between the two loops crosses. Not sure yet what time, depends if we are coming up Friday night, Saturday morning, when we are doing family dinner/lunch, etc. I'd guess a early to mid morning start, and I'll ride rain or shine.

Big Bear map - 17 mile loop
http://www.midnr.com...il/Big_Bear.pdf

Crapo Creek map - 26 mile loop
http://www.midnr.com...Crapo_Creek.pdf

I haven't ridden either trail in 2-3 years. Doubt they've change drastically, they are quad width, but decently windey/hilly/rooted, etc. Not much for whoops or sand from what I recall.

Anyone is welcome to come along. I can move at a decent clip, but have no problem with waiting on slower riders, or getting smoked by faster guys. Hope someone decides to come along, it seems 100% of my past riding buddies have evaporated now, all I know are guys with street bikes, dual sports that never see off road, or guys with MX bikes that haven't seen the light of day in years due to (pick one or more) work, marriage, family, loss of intrest, etc.

Edited by adam728, May 04, 2012 - 10:51 AM.

• thumper525exc

Posted May 05, 2012 - 04:14 AM

I'll get a few Trail Riders together and we'll ride with ya. Me & my Bro rode both loops 2 weeks ago. Crapo was clear but there were several spots on the Big Bear that still needed to be cleared of trees. It was not too bad getting around the trees but there are a couple spots that you end up right through Mtn Ashes (thornes). I know the fella that does TM on those loops...if he hasn't done it yet I'll get in there with my chainsaw this weekend.

• adam728

Posted May 07, 2012 - 05:28 AM

Yea, not riding alone!

We will be getting up there Friday night, so I could do anything from a super early Saturday start to even something a little after lunch, probably want to be loaded up and headed out no later than 4 pm though. Any particular time work best for your group?

Also, dad just told me where I planned to park might not be doable now (it's been "reclaimed", planted, blocked off, and rumors of DNR ticketing people there). Where do you guys start from? We used to ride right from our cabin there on Big Bear Lake, but I'm leary at pushing that luck. Need to get my dual sport stuff done (already have most the pieces now, just need to assemble, insure, and plate).

Edited by adam728, May 07, 2012 - 05:33 AM.

• nuudle8

Posted May 07, 2012 - 11:27 AM

Adam,

The only "legal" parking I know of is at the North Branch ORV parking lot at Turtle Lake Rd. and Old State Rd., we used to go ride up there every year but it's been a few years now.

• lawhead

Posted May 08, 2012 - 05:13 AM

yea im not sure whats goin on at that sandy spot that you wanted to park at, i see that they plowed it all in and cleaned it up. i was parking there last year and riding, im might be up for a ride on saturday if i get my bike going by then.

thumper525exe....are you pete's brother?

• thumper525exc

Posted May 08, 2012 - 12:03 PM

We usually park in a field across from Gingell Road but our group is always pretty small (2 or 3 trucks). Nobody has every bothered us parking there or in the sand target range on Meridian Line Road but I've only parked there a few times in years past. I would think that if there isn't a sign up saying NO PARKING or treaspasing and it's State Land it should be cool.

Doing both loops and the connector should take about 4 hours (breaks & all). We could meet at the trail say 11 am and be done by around 3 pm, or there about.

I do have a Bro and his name is Pete.

• adam728

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:07 AM

So where would we like to meet up then? I figured the shooting area on meridian line was easy to find if anyone did want to join me, but Gingell Rd would even be better.

I'll be coming from M32/Douglas Lake Rd. So if we met at Gingell I could just ride from my grandmother's place. Keeps me from needing to steal a familly member's truck too (my bike is already there, wife/kid/myself are coming up in the car, she doesn't really enjoy getting 12 mpg in a 20 year old truck with a radio that half works if we really don't need to).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lawhead

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:21 AM

drove by that sand pit shooting range. they have it all blocked off with rocks now. cant even drive in there to park.

• thumper525exc

Posted May 10, 2012 - 05:02 AM

So where would we like to meet up then? I figured the shooting area on meridian line was easy to find if anyone did want to join me, but Gingell Rd would even be better.

I'll be coming from M32/Douglas Lake Rd. So if we met at Gingell I could just ride from my grandmother's place. Keeps me from needing to steal a familly member's truck too (my bike is already there, wife/kid/myself are coming up in the car, she doesn't really enjoy getting 12 mpg in a 20 year old truck with a radio that half works if we really don't need to).

Meet right there at the intersection of Gingell and Old State Road...right across from Gingell Rd is a 2-track off of Old State Rd...about 100 yards in is a field to the west (right). How about 10 am?

There is a parking lot on the Big Bear loop down on Buttles Road...

Edited by thumper525exc, May 10, 2012 - 05:06 AM.

• thumper525exc

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:38 AM

drove by that sand pit shooting range. they have it all blocked off with rocks now. cant even drive in there to park.

I heard from a reliable source (Trail Maintenance fella) that the State is putting in a gravel parking lot where that shooting range is...he talked to the DNR Official in-charge of that Trail and actually saw her out there on a tractor. Their plan is to put in a toilet and gravel lot.

• adam728

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Meet right there at the intersection of Gingell and Old State Road...right across from Gingell Rd is a 2-track off of Old State Rd...about 100 yards in is a field to the west (right). How about 10 am?

There is a parking lot on the Big Bear loop down on Buttles Road...

I'll be there. Either be in red 07 F150, or a silver 05 Tacoma.

Looks like the total ride will be 49-ish miles? Stock tank YZ, I've made it over 50 miles, but get pretty nervous between 40-45 miles, so I'll need to pack gas, or drop a can at the cabin, which we could use as a beak point if anyone wants too. On Big Bear (10th st) just off Meridian line, so it's not much of a detour. It packs such amenities as electricity, windows, and an outhouse. It lacks things like running water, drywall, and visual appeal. And I'm sure it's single-handedly lowering property values all around it (especially the Knight's).

Really though, if we want to take a break there for food/water/pop, I could stock the fridge on my way out.

I heard from a reliable source (Trail Maintenance fella) that the State is putting in a gravel parking lot where that shooting range is...he talked to the DNR Official in-charge of that Trail and actually saw her out there on a tractor. Their plan is to put in a toilet and gravel lot.

Money being spent to help ORV'ers instead of just shutting down more trails? I like it! :banghead:

• adam728

Posted May 11, 2012 - 11:07 AM

Heading out, see you at the meeting spot in the morning. :banghead:

• Michigan DS

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:56 PM

If you guys get a chance, post an update on the Big Bear/Crapo trails after you've ridden them this weekend. I haven't ridden them and would like to know what they are like.
I'm a fan of the single track that has a nice flow and not too whooped out. A couple of my favorites from last year are Little O in Baldwin and West Higgins.
Thanks in advance and have fun

Edited by Michigan DS, May 11, 2012 - 07:56 PM.

• adam728

Posted May 14, 2012 - 03:00 AM

Michigan DS -
Haven't ridden the trails you listed, so I'm not sure how it would compare. Crapo and Big Bear aren't single track though, they are quad-wide, although some of it seems like it'd be aweful narrow and twisty to fit a quad thru. Some whoops, but not huge endless sections of it. Some sand, some good hard black dirt, some rocky sections. Most of it was 2nd and 3rd gear stuff for me.

thumper525EXC -
Small world, I knew we were related to some Latuszeks, but forgotten that was my Grandmother's maiden name. She asked who I met up with and instantly knew you and your brother (she knows everyone in a 50 mile radius I think). Her dad (my great-grandfather) was cousins with your great-grandfather, or something along those lines. Anyway, it was nice meeting all of you, and it was a great ride. Feeling way out of shape, I was beat the rest of Saturday!

• Michigan DS

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:24 AM

Adam,

thanks for the info.
I'll have to give it a shot one of these weekends.

take care,
doug

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Michigan

UP bug conditions by carl johansson

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Michigan

Update on the Meadows Trail by Zrt1200

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Michigan

Mio/Hunt Creek Oct 24-26 by ulmanb

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo
Michigan

Evart by kzoo

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.