Need more power for my XR650R.. comments welcomed

7 replies to this topic
  • SImon520

Posted October 21, 2003 - 01:06 PM

I've searched the archives for info on cams and piston changes for increased power. Basically, the cam change seems a no-brainer for increased mid-top power. I would welcome comments from riders who have done piston and/or CDI rev box mods as to the improvements.

My bike is essentially a stock uncorked 650R, and I'm looking for a 10-15 HP increase.

I'm 6'5" and 295#, so most bikes feel a bit slow to me...

'01 KTM 520 SX Precision Concepts suspension mods.
'03 XR650R, uncorked, Eibach rear spring, 4.5 gal tank

• ill_caper

Posted October 21, 2003 - 02:28 PM

Buy a crf or yz450 or wr450. I wasnt that happy with the xr power and went with the wr. Now it is a little too much but I am quite happy. By the way my BRP had all the uncorcking mods and an edelbrock carb. It just didnt rip like the W or the ultra high performance 4's. Plus as you start modifying the engine I would start to be concerned about reliability. YOur better off starting with a bike that rips like you want it instead of modifying. MY $.02 :)

• ill_caper

Posted October 21, 2003 - 03:04 PM

Im not saying that the xr didnt have enough power because it did. I just didnt like the power curve. It had tons of torque but not all that much mid->top end. I wouldnt have even gotten rid of it except that I am 6'5" and wanted a bike with a taller seat height. I guess Im rambling and not answering your question but I am bored at work :D. Oh well good luck. -D :) :D

• secretatlas

Posted October 21, 2003 - 03:35 PM

i run the cam from ims. otherwise i leave the engine alone. mess around with dropping/adding teeth in the rear sprocket until you find the right power delivery. the power is there, you just want to tweak with when/where it comes on.

keep the stock header for low end delivery. look into aftermarket pipes to up the high end, but again keep the stock header.

remember, the power is there, a lot of it comes down to the way it is managed. if your suspension is stock have it worked on before you get into the engine. if the bike is quiet on its suspenders then you will be able to find and manage more power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FasterThanY0u

Posted October 22, 2003 - 02:54 AM

Get the Honda HRC power-up kit for your XR650R. The bike will be a beast afterwards!! Almost nothing will touch it - in a straight line.

Go to and email them for a proce. Guaranteed they've got the best prices on all OEM honda parts.

• secretatlas

Posted October 22, 2003 - 08:09 AM

i assumed you had the power up kit.
yeah get that if you don't have it.

• Carlisle1972

Posted October 22, 2003 - 11:00 AM

Could be bikes and riders but me 175lbs on my xr650r wallops wrs all day long, yes im lighter than the guy looking for info but a 295 lb guy on a wr or crf would be the same. Plus go look at the blue forums and they have tons of problems I personally have sent two blues in the last two years to their graves, now used for holding my perfect reliable XR runs every time finishes ever race 650 up. Stay honda nothing like em!!! My bike is un quarked and that seems to be plenty for me, smaller countershaft gave me more abrubt power down low small sacrafice up top.

• ill_caper

Posted October 23, 2003 - 04:30 PM

The best mod I would recommend for the BRP is the edelbrock carb. That made it run so much more smooth than the crappy stock carb. Hopefully soon they will be putting a pumper carb stock on the BRP. However, from what the Honda dealer told me(which esentially is about as reliable as the Star magazine) the BRP will be discontinued and replaced by the CRF(I told him that I didnt buy it, he also had never heard of the CRF250X). Anyway definitely go with the Edelbrock or Mikuni pumper carb. It was by far the best mod that i put on my BRP.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.