junk hardware!

9 replies to this topic
  • Towelie

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Everything on this damn 12 strips so easy. Rounded the oil check the first day, took the kick starter now the threads are gone, this is ridiculous

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DESAT

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

strange, i never had problems with those bolts (only with aluminum ignition plugs and oil drain bolt which were both my fault cuz i over torqued them)

did you use metric allens on the check ? and the kick did u cross thread the bolt ? they should spin on by hand then tighten , i think the torque on the kick is not that much 16 or 20 idk exact manual is in the garage

sorry u have had bad luck , better luck next time ?

• ac717

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Wow.this is the first bike I have the original bolts on. Not being smart,but do you use a torque wrench? I always use a torque wrench or torque screwdriver (read in inch pounds). I use to have a habit of overtightening bolts. One employee I have has the exact opposite problem.He makes everything too loose. A week or 2 of constantly using a torque wrench or screwdriver gives you a feel for the correct torque. I have an electrical/mechanical business and some of the things we work on needs to be torqued precisely,so it just became habit for me. Crucial bolts i put a dab of threadlock on. Harbor freight has a decent 3/8" trq wrench for 20 bux. Definitely worth it. Too many sensitive bolts on these things. Only bike I ever had a bunch of trouble with bolts were the euro bikes. Hope you are able to fix the stripped stuff that sux.

• Rotaholic

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

You should really use 1/4 ratchet/driver/t bars, remember the bulk of the bike is alloy, which is a very soft metal. Be gentle!!! Becareful when using locktite aswell, it will bond to the metal bolt and wont release from the alloy and take the whole thread out with it. Yes suzuki doesnt have the best hardware and it is cheap, but I knew that when I got on suzukis, im on my 7th and I know how much to tighten stuff now. Live and learn......

• Towelie

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

I use a 1/4" wrench or my T handles, I have been wrenching for years, I know how to tighten and not use the uber tight method. Nothing is stripping on the tightening, this is all happening while removing, for the first time. Doesnt matter, I have those bolt packs and have just been replacing as I go as of this point.

• Towelie

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

While i got you guys, anyone know of a way to tighten the head stem without removing the bars?

• ac717

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Sorry,i don't. If you loosen top clamp amd bump it up u might be able to get in to tighten it.i wasnt downing your wrenching skills.as i get older my feel for tightening and loosening stuff isnt the same,so i gotta use the torque wrenches.i got a small 12v dewalt impact driver.thing is awesome for. Taking stuff apart.got just thr right of smack and doesnt torque the bolts out with force.

• Towelie

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Sorry,i don't. If you loosen top clamp amd bump it up u might be able to get in to tighten it.i wasnt downing your wrenching skills.as i get older my feel for tightening and loosening stuff isnt the same,so i gotta use the torque wrenches.i got a small 12v dewalt impact driver.thing is awesome for. Taking stuff apart.got just thr right of smack and doesnt torque the bolts out with force.

I want one of them impact, I have air but its a bit much for dirt bikes. Got a coupon out of dirt rider for that motocycle lift from harbor frieght for 299, going to pick it up tonight, save my back from always bending over to wrench.

• ac717

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

I want one of them impact, I have air but its a bit much for dirt bikes. Got a coupon out of dirt rider for that motocycle lift from harbor frieght for 299, going to pick it up tonight, save my back from always bending over to wrench.

You will love the lift. We have one-put everything from a sport cruiser on it to a yz80. Makes working on bikes so much easier and comfortable. HF has cheap stuff,but it gets the job done. Everything I buy there works good for the intended purpose and for the price. I just threw my back out yesterday..Just standing up removing a strap from a conduit and...wham-drop to my knees in pain.I have a disk that slips around and hits a nerve-trying to push off the surgery till December.

• Towelie

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

You will love the lift. We have one-put everything from a sport cruiser on it to a yz80. Makes working on bikes so much easier and comfortable. HF has cheap stuff,but it gets the job done. Everything I buy there works good for the intended purpose and for the price. I just threw my back out yesterday..Just standing up removing a strap from a conduit and...wham-drop to my knees in pain.I have a disk that slips around and hits a nerve-trying to push off the surgery till December.

Yeah harbor freight stuff is cheap for sure. Some decent, but like you said, but its not stuff you want to use all the time. I have snapped several open end/ box end wrenches, ratchets that came apart after about years use. My pops left me a ton of snap on / mac tools and crafstmann stuff when he passed, so I have that too

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.