xr600 wheel and lowering

5 replies to this topic
  • unclejtl

Posted May 03, 2012 - 07:05 AM

hi, I just got a 88 xr600 for cheap. want to ride it back and forth to work. I allready have a xr200 that I ride in the dirt and love it. I'm not a crazy rider, mostly exploring in the desert. I got this bike for the "big block" feature for riding on the street.

I would like to put a 18" rear rim on the front. I understand that I can get spokes at bucannans, but will any 18x2.15 36 hole honda alum rim work? looking on ebay...

I also need to lower it some for my 28" inseam... reading come confusing reports on lowering links. What rear shock will fit to lower it around 2"

oh, and if the rim I find is gold, will soda blasting remove the gold?

thanks

Edited by unclejtl, May 03, 2012 - 07:08 AM.

• natey

Posted May 03, 2012 - 06:39 PM

the kouba link will get you 1.5 in the rear, drop the front by raising the forks in the triples a couple inches, take the cover off the seat and use a electric carving knife to trim some foam off the seat and re-staple the cover back on. Not hard to do.

• MindBlower

Posted May 03, 2012 - 08:00 PM

hi, I just got a 88 xr600 for cheap. want to ride it back and forth to work. I allready have a xr200 that I ride in the dirt and love it. I'm not a crazy rider, mostly exploring in the desert. I got this bike for the "big block" feature for riding on the street.

I would like to put a 18" rear rim on the front. I understand that I can get spokes at bucannans, but will any 18x2.15 36 hole honda alum rim work? looking on ebay...

I also need to lower it some for my 28" inseam... reading come confusing reports on lowering links. What rear shock will fit to lower it around 2"

thanks

thanks

Cool cool, they make excellent street bikes imo.
Aren't rears 32 spoke?
You can use any 18" rim with 36 holes, doesn't have to be Honda and doesn't have to be 2.15.
I bought a new excel wheel for the front of my 350, 19x2.50 for $100, should be able to find that deal most of the time. (similar) Buchanon is $100 to lace/true, $76 for stainless spokes with nickle nipples, 99 with stainless nipples.
Sending them the rim and hub I'll have about $200 with shipping ($110 for the rim, shipped, $60 for the front hub)
Try to get a complete wheel if you can, all the little stuff adds up, wheel bearings, bearing spacer, wheel spacers, caliper mounting bolts, etc
Adds up quick. :thumbsup:
I want to go toward kind of a street tracker type look, so 19/18 for me, but a lot more tire choices for 18"!!
I like the chunkie front tire look but can't find squat in a 120 for 19". 110 is the biggest I've found. It works, but if I'd known, I've have gone with a 18" wheel.
If you are careful when you cut the stock spokes off they can cut to length and rethread the stockers for less than $50. (the careful warning is because I nicked a couple of spokes with the grinder and they couldn't use them because of that)
The negative reports about lowering links are from the extra leverage they exert on the spring, ideally you would use a heavier spring with the link (as appropriate to your weight).
I'm putting 1 on my 350 and 400 and going with a 12.0 spring instead of the 11. or 11.5 I would otherwise use. (230lbs).
Anyway, the compaints are pretty much all hard core offroad types using their bike hard and needing a heavier spring now.
More moderate riding (and street use is very mild) and next to no complains and lots of love. :banghead:
What tires are you going to run?
Got some Shinko 705's and I'm pretty impressed with them, much stickier than the other cheapie street tire's I've used.

Edited by MindBlower, May 03, 2012 - 08:18 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • unclejtl

Posted May 04, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Thanks natey,
I'll start with that and see how it goes. may need more for my stuby legs though! ha ha

Thanks mindblower,
yes, it's 36 hole on my front and rear. can't afford two new rims and spokes right now, so just want the front to match my used rear. when bike is all done and running good (bought it not running) and I have it set up to my liking, I will completly tear down and make it pretty. just want to get it running and rideable now. I too like the "street tracker" look. I would like to go that route. didn't mention it here cause I have seen alot of threads bashing it. I understand people like these bikes for what they are and I rode a 350 for a few years before forums and lowering links etc... sold it cause it was too tall, but now there is all this info at my fingertips!
I weigh approx 190, so spring should be fine. not sure what tires i'll use. was reading on maxxis page not to use back tire on front and visa versa. not sure why, maybe someone will chime in :banghead: some tires said they were for both though.

• ZaBaY

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:25 AM

the kouba link will get you 1.5 in the rear, drop the front by raising the forks in the triples a couple inches, take the cover off the seat and use a electric carving knife to trim some foam off the seat and re-staple the cover back on. Not hard to do.

Does the lowering link also lowers the ground clearance and vice versa?

• natey

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Does the lowering link also lowers the ground clearance and vice versa?

check this link and you can contact them for info. I'm 5'8" and I'm still on the balls of my feet. Ground clearance i don't know.

http://www.koubalink.com/XR650L.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650R ONLY by jska2636

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L owner here. by chrisross

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

poor man's xr650l: any reason not to put an xr650l motor into an xr600 frame? by goneballistic

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

85 xr600r camshaft bearing journals by Taylorross

• Hot  56 replies
Forums
Photo

Xr650l Dave's carb mod question by theonenutbandit

• 14 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.