Do these bikes eat batteries ?

28 replies to this topic
  • Vineboy

Posted May 13, 2012 - 10:51 PM

Be careful doing this. I had a XR650R which is only a kicker so kicking the WR was piss easy so never worried about fixing the charging issues. I ended up busting something inside from too much kicking. Cost me about 400 beer vouchers to fix. Went out the next day and got a rectifier and new battery. Hard lesson.

Took the battery off and tried to charge it, nothing. Another write off... Maybe that's why it's been so hard to start. I have to kick it a few times just to get the screen to come on

• Stealth13

Posted May 14, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Be careful doing this. I had a XR650R which is only a kicker so kicking the WR was piss easy so never worried about fixing the charging issues. I ended up busting something inside from too much kicking. Cost me about 400 beer vouchers to fix. Went out the next day and got a rectifier and new battery. Hard lesson.

I plugged my xt battery in (too big for the seat) just to test it and it fired up first button hit

• 1991cbr600f2

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:24 PM

thought I would chirp in for refference,
my 07 wr450 is on the original battery, but its not strong like before, I know this because the bike needs the carb cleaned and is a bit harder to start than usual. it will crank for 10-15 seconds then slow down.
I had a deltran battery maintainer from about a month after I bought it new. I am very happy it made it 6 years, could stretch to 7 probably, but I like the E-start a little to much.

Thinking about a Lithium, Cause I love this bike, :ride:

Hating that I have to clean the carb again, bike sat to long last year I guess.
but hey, I wanted to take the whole back half of the bike apart again anyways , not. :smashpc:

• diekatze450

Posted April 11, 2013 - 03:10 AM

08 with stock battery and 9000km, no problems still

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Do I Care?

Posted April 11, 2013 - 04:07 AM

I plugged my xt battery in (too big for the seat) just to test it and it fired up first button hit

Just because ''it fired up first button hit'' does not mean that your charging system is good. If your battery is only lasting as long as you say, then you must have a charging system problem. Either the AC magneto or the Rectifier/resistor is at fault or your wires are crossed.

A battery should at least last two years, even if not the best brand.

• miweber929

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:36 AM

Just because ''it fired up first button hit'' does not mean that your charging system is good. If your battery is only lasting as long as you say, then you must have a charging system problem. Either the AC magneto or the Rectifier/resistor is at fault or your wires are crossed.

A battery should at least last two years, even if not the best brand.

Thread is almost a year old, and the replacement battery fixed OP's issue.

As well, the 4 or 5 year old cheaper battery in my 04 dumped last June. So I ordered a new Parts Unlimited one only to have it last about 6 weeks; fully checked the charging system again, sent the battery back to Dennis Kirk, they swapped it out and all is better.

Bad batteries do happen and saying things like "you must have a bad charging system" are why Internet mechanics can cost unsuspecting people hundreds of dollar by replacing things without testing the issue first. Unless you are there you are guessing.

• Do I Care?

Posted April 11, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thread is almost a year old, and the replacement battery fixed OP's issue.

As well, the 4 or 5 year old cheaper battery in my 04 dumped last June. So I ordered a new Parts Unlimited one only to have it last about 6 weeks; fully checked the charging system again, sent the battery back to Dennis Kirk, they swapped it out and all is better.

Bad batteries do happen and saying things like "you must have a bad charging system" are why Internet mechanics can cost unsuspecting people hundreds of dollar by replacing things without testing the issue first. Unless you are there you are guessing.

Very good point(s) :thumbsup:
I was not suggesting that he replace anything, just check as it doesn't hurt to do this. The reason I thought it was the charging system is that the OP said he went through more than one battery in under a year. Now I though- either he was VERY unlucky when buying batteries or he has a charging system problem. How could I have known that he is just VERY UNLUCKY!

Some people have all the luck I guess ;)

• MaxPower

Posted April 12, 2013 - 03:56 AM

The YZ 450 has the same internal kicker parts . What year is your bike and what broke ?

• WRAnthony1999

Posted March 13, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Disconnect the positive battery lead with the bike off and ignition etc off put amp meter between battery and lead and see what the amp reading is

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.