Do these bikes eat batteries ?

28 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:31 AM

I have killed 2 batteries in the last 3 months somehow, I hardly even use the electric start. Now I try and press the starter and it just makes a gay noise and does nothing... Why does this happen ?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Please describe this "gay noise" you speak of. I cannot imagine that particular sound.

• kawi380

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:36 AM

I replaced the stock battery on mine after I have it almost 3 years. When i bought the replacement I also bought a battery tender. I never seem to have problems.

• Stealth13

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:41 AM

Please describe this "gay noise" you speak of. I cannot imagine that particular sound.

Just like a constant humming sound I guess. 2nd time this happened now. Never had this issue on my other bike.

• Rocky739

Posted May 02, 2012 - 01:22 PM

Just like a constant humming sound I guess. 2nd time this happened now. Never had this issue on my other bike.

I thought for a minute it started playing showtunes.. my bad.

Have you tested the battery with a multimeter and seen the voltage both sitting and under load from the starter? Would be odd to have three bad batteries in a row, I'm guessing either starter is drawing too amperage (bad starter or relay, not likely) or charging system isn't doing its thing. My bike has the OE battery from 2003 and it holds 12 odd volts but doesnt have enough amperage to crank the motor. Sure you can look up the info you need in owners manual.. Start there but I'll bet on something charging related

And not to overlook the easy fix check that all terminals are clean and free of corrision etc.. all through the system and a dab of electric grease on connections never hurts.

• woods-rider

Posted May 02, 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have the stock battery in mine, NEVER use a tender and it's still perfect after 6 years of use.

• Stealth13

Posted May 02, 2012 - 01:33 PM

It must be charging because it's running my dual sport kit and it worked for 2 months and a lot of riding

• panda38

Posted May 03, 2012 - 05:55 PM

original battery in my 07 and I only estart the bike which now has 9800km on it and it still is like new. The battery that is

• miweber929

Posted May 04, 2012 - 04:19 AM

It must be charging because it's running my dual sport kit and it worked for 2 months and a lot of riding

Thatkind of thinking is why you are still eating batteries!!!!

NEVER assume something is right just because. I'm sure you are having a charging issue, probably due to the DS kit but maybe to other causes. My guess is an over-voltage from a bad regulator but that's a shot in the dark, a battery will take some over-voltage for a while. But since they are dying, that's where I'd start.

Grab the manual, start checking your system top to bottom, report back from there.

Mike

Edited by miweber929, May 04, 2012 - 04:20 AM.

• KennyMc

Posted May 04, 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have the stock battery in mine, NEVER use a tender and it's still perfect after 6 years of use.

:banghead: I have the stock battery in my '07 without a battery tender either. If it sits a couple of weeks I will put it on the chargeer the night before I am going to ride it. During the rides I have never had an issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted May 04, 2012 - 10:04 AM

did you mod your stator and replace the regulator/rectifier when you did the DS kit? If not that is probably why.

• Stealth13

Posted May 04, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Didn't touch the bike, it's the rocky mountain one and they and other people say it works stock on the 2006

• MANIAC998

Posted May 05, 2012 - 03:48 AM

'06 with over 170 hours showing on the engine meter, and still the same battery. No issues.
Maniac

• Moto5

Posted May 05, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Mine is an 06 and I'm on the original battery.

• Vineboy

Posted May 05, 2012 - 03:33 PM

Had the same battery for two years then went through 2 batt's in 3mths. Replaced rectifier. All problems gone. It was cooking the batteries.

• n16ht5

Posted May 05, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Sounds like your rectifier turned into a rectal frier

• Vineboy

Posted May 07, 2012 - 02:20 AM

Sounds like your rectifier turned into a rectal frier

Big time!

• pschiess

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have an 07 with the orginal stock battery in it. I keep it on a battery tender when not riding it.I have a dual sport kit on it so the battery also runs the high low beam headlight, high beam indicator light (legal requirement in CA), tail light, brake light, 4 turn signals and horn with no issues.

• byggd

Posted May 08, 2012 - 12:21 PM

Check to see if the connections at the battery and connected to the bike are getting warm after attempting to start it. If they are you have too much resistance and need to clean the connections.

• Stealth13

Posted May 13, 2012 - 12:08 PM

Took the battery off and tried to charge it, nothing. Another write off... Maybe that's why it's been so hard to start. I have to kick it a few times just to get the screen to come on

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.