steering stem noise

5 replies to this topic
  • rcdude33

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Hey guys! I got a 2009 yz450f yesterday and I noticed if I'm off the bike, and hold the brake in and push down on the front forks I hear like a clunking sound.

Now if I sit on the bike I.don't hear the sound. Do you guys think something is messed up.in my forks? Or do you guys think its my steering stem?

Thanks guys and god.bless!!

Alex

• woods-rider

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:04 AM

My guess is that the steering head bearings are shot. When you are off the bike and push down you can hear the play clunking around in the steering head, but when you are on the bike already the head is already in the position it wants to be when you push on the bars. Check for play in your steering head.

• rcdude33

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:13 AM

The thing is I really don't feel any play in the steering stem. Would you think its the fork? Or do.you.think i should tighten up the steering head?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted May 02, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Check the torque on the steering head nut just because it's easier than digging into your forks.

• yz450fcranker

Posted May 02, 2012 - 10:43 AM

take the steering stem assembly apart add a bunch of grease and tighten it right

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2012 - 11:14 AM

The thing is I really don't feel any play in the steering stem. Would you think its the fork? Or do.you.think i should tighten up the steering head?

It won't hurt to tear it down and grease it if you haven't done that this year yet. But the noise may not be coming from there. Grab the top triple clamp and the steering head both at once with one hand while you rock it against the brake to see if you can feel any movement between them. The clunk could also be in either fork leg, the caliper mount, the brake pads chucking in the caliper, the disc moving on the disc hub, a wheel bearing, etc. Try holding various parts while a helper does the rocking so you can run it down. Just be careful where you put your fingers.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.