Jetting Q?

5 replies to this topic
  • Scoredaddy

Posted September 06, 2001 - 09:52 PM

I bought a 01 YZ426F a month ago and I'm going through plugs left and right. The power is there all the way through but what's next? Change jets or move needle?

I'm also running a NGK CR9E plug will it make a difference using a CR8E?

Understand that I'm not very mechanically inclined but that will more than likely change soon!
Thanks, Scoredaddy

• Tom_Higdon

Posted September 07, 2001 - 05:08 AM

Scoredaddy, the only way I could get mine under control was to follow BK's advice and start running a higher octane fuel (I mix pump 92 octane with VP 108 and run 100 octane fuel) and do his carb mod which leans out the accel pump squirt. Fixed mine and it runs awesome!

• Scoredaddy

Posted September 07, 2001 - 05:41 AM

Who's BK, and where do I find his advise?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted September 07, 2001 - 06:48 AM

The stock plug is a CR8E, I do not remember if 8 or 9 is hotter. If the 8 is hotter then you will want to change.

There is a long list of stuff to check but first, are the plugs fouling while you are riding, or only when you give it the first cold start of the day (or only during starts in general)?

• Hick

Posted September 07, 2001 - 08:00 AM

The 9 is colder, NGK gets hotter on LOWER numbers.

I know the manual lists CR8E OR CR9E but most guys I think run the 8, and that is what comes in them from the factory (all the ones I’ve seen, anyway).

My advise would be to try the 8 and see what happens.

• MrMXer

Posted September 07, 2001 - 08:48 AM

BK is Tim Ferry's Mechanic and he visits this fourm now and then. Follow his carb mod suggestion and I believe you will like the results.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.