Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:14 AM
Asked for advice and it seemed my slide had been jacked up, prolly to mask a long standing issue. So pulled the carb to have a closer look inside.
Got the slow jet out again to double check and on very close inspection saw this;
So, when people suggest you check your jets are clean, don't just give them a cursory glance. That gunge inside the jet could easily be enough to drop it two or three jet sizes and if you bought replacement jets based on that being an accurate 45 you'd be off the mark. I see no easy or thorough way of cleaning this, I don't have an ultrasonic bath whick would probably be the only way. Best just order a new one.
This is on a very low miles 2005 DRZe.
Posted May 02, 2012 - 01:21 AM
Thanks for the thumbs up, had quite a few reads of this but no comments, had thought I'd posted a duffer.
Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:24 AM
1) as stated throw away the old jets and buy new, they are cheap!
2) soak varnashed parts in carb dip overnight (never put rubber or whole carbs into dip!).
3) simple green cleaner takes off the white stuff that grows on steel bits in float bowl (spray and rinse with water, don't let it dry or it will form concrete).
4) rinse parts with aerosol carb cleaner (again stay away from rubber).
5) use shop cloth and carb spray to clean jet needle interior passage(you will be amazed how much stuff polishes off that soaking misses).
6) when you think its perfect, clean it again!
7) quadruple check the passage from the pilot jet through the carb body (use aerosol and compressed air to make sure its 100% clean)
8) check fuel petcock, inside tank and fuel line along with passage from line to float needle for varnish or yellow slime, acetone will disolve this crap.
9) USE FUEL STABILIZER! and drain float bowl if its going to set more that a couple weeks!!!! Much more fun to ride than work.
I worked for years at a KTM dealer and spent months every spring fixing this on bikes that sat all winter..
Thanks again! Hope this helps a few poor souls that are missing prime riding season with gunked up carbs.