Dirty jets

3 replies to this topic
  • chickenwaahoo

Posted May 01, 2012 - 05:14 AM

Did some cleaning and tuning on my slant fcr and now need to cure the fuel screw now not doing anything.

Asked for advice and it seemed my slide had been jacked up, prolly to mask a long standing issue. So pulled the carb to have a closer look inside.

Got the slow jet out again to double check and on very close inspection saw this;

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, when people suggest you check your jets are clean, don't just give them a cursory glance. That gunge inside the jet could easily be enough to drop it two or three jet sizes and if you bought replacement jets based on that being an accurate 45 you'd be off the mark. I see no easy or thorough way of cleaning this, I don't have an ultrasonic bath whick would probably be the only way. Best just order a new one.

This is on a very low miles 2005 DRZe.

• Rocky739

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Great advice, all the cleaning in the world won't get them to their correct size again.. Pitch and replace with OEM parts, couple bucks worth of jets can save hours...

• chickenwaahoo

Posted May 02, 2012 - 01:21 AM

Great advice, all the cleaning in the world won't get them to their correct size again.. Pitch and replace with OEM parts, couple bucks worth of jets can save hours...

Thanks for the thumbs up, had quite a few reads of this but no comments, had thought I'd posted a duffer. :banghead:

• Rocky739

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:24 AM

No problem, I just got a WR 450 Yamaha that has sat most of its life, I had to spend hours cleaning and polishing the gunk off to get it to run again. Here is what I've learned
1) as stated throw away the old jets and buy new, they are cheap!
2) soak varnashed parts in carb dip overnight (never put rubber or whole carbs into dip!).
3) simple green cleaner takes off the white stuff that grows on steel bits in float bowl (spray and rinse with water, don't let it dry or it will form concrete).
4) rinse parts with aerosol carb cleaner (again stay away from rubber).
5) use shop cloth and carb spray to clean jet needle interior passage(you will be amazed how much stuff polishes off that soaking misses).
6) when you think its perfect, clean it again!
7) quadruple check the passage from the pilot jet through the carb body (use aerosol and compressed air to make sure its 100% clean)
8) check fuel petcock, inside tank and fuel line along with passage from line to float needle for varnish or yellow slime, acetone will disolve this crap.
9) USE FUEL STABILIZER! and drain float bowl if its going to set more that a couple weeks!!!! Much more fun to ride than work.

I worked for years at a KTM dealer and spent months every spring fixing this on bikes that sat all winter..

Thanks again! Hope this helps a few poor souls that are missing prime riding season with gunked up carbs.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.