Uh oh... Burning oil. Thoughts?

2 replies to this topic
  • Rot Box

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:29 AM

The last couple of rides my 02 426 has been burning oil when I start it up cold. It stops burning oil after about a minute of idling and won't burn any for the rest of the day. Any ideas? Given the fact I don't know the history of the bike is this a good time to pull it down and replace everything? It runs very strong and seems to have great compression. What would you do? Thanks,

Andrew

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pooley

Posted April 30, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Valve stem seals. This happened to me a few years ago, and the top end oil seeped past the seals into the piston, and was only noticable during startup. I changed the valve stem seals and immediately the problem went away.

• Rot Box

Posted May 02, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reply :banghead: Makes sense to me. I guess now is a good time to pull it all down and see how the piston and valve seats look.

Andrew

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.