Basic MX suspension setup tips

2 replies to this topic
  • RGVMelb

Posted April 29, 2012 - 11:59 PM

I'm very new to dirt bikes and was after some advice on suspension setup please.

I'm guilty of not setting up my sag yet, but my question is, when I've flat landed a jump or landed on the face of another, sometimes it's bouncing back up and causing the bike to lift up and unsettle even come off the ground a little if it was a hard landing.

This was on a hard packed track too.

Is this because of my riding or something to do with the bikes setup? Or maybe a little of both even?

Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.

Ps. Forgot to add that the bike is an '04 CR250 and all I know about the suspension is that the compression on the forks is to the manuals spec and I haven't checked anything else as yet. Also the bloke I bought it off told me it had a CRF450 shock in it too. Which I believe is a little heavier on the spring.

Thanks.

• EnglertRacing

Posted April 30, 2012 - 04:32 AM

There's a lot about clickers setup.....
Bouncing is too fast shock rebound. Turn the shock rebound adjuster clockwise untill it doesn't try and throw you over the bars. Also try not to land into jump faces. :banghead:

This is a pretty standard way to tune your suspension.
http://www.suspensio...moto/4511681582

• RGVMelb

Posted April 30, 2012 - 11:33 PM

Thanks mate, I thought as much. Thought I'd see what the people said though. I'll have a play next time I'm out.

It's hard getting my head around all the new stuff coming from road to dirt, like different boots not sitting down etc etc.

Thanks for the link too I'll have a read over it.

Edited by RGVMelb, April 30, 2012 - 11:54 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.