2008 144 sx

21 replies to this topic
  • tkipp96

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Just picked up a 2008 ktm 144 sx. I know they aren't trail specific bikes, And I want to know if anyone has any ideas on how to make it more set up for woods. I already have suspension set up for woods, I'm just not sure what else to do! Any suggestions appreciated!

• tye1138

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

The XC (the woods version) has a 18" rear wheel, lower compression head, heavier flywheel, larger tank and softer PV hit.

Lots of things that if you were woods riding, you would want.

When you get a chance (a the next re-build) make sure you update that piston, if its original, those are the ones that go pop. :banghead:

• tkipp96

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

I already have a 3.5 gal tank on it, I think my next move is putting in a heavier flywheel weight and an fmf fatty with turbine core 2, hopefully those things will help with bottom end power.

• maxamillion125

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Start by adjusting your powervalve before you buy a flywheel and pipe. The pv controls the exhaust port which determines when the "hit" occurs.
Adjusting the pv clockwise moves the bar down for more "hit", CCW moves bar up for less "hit" but a bit more low-end.
The higher the mark, the later the two stroke hit occurs.
Generally, higher is milder, lower has more punch.

Refer to this thread http://ktmtalk.com/i...howtopic=324527

• tkipp96

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thanks! One problem, I'm leaking oil out of one of the gaskets, I replaced the gasket, and it's still leaking, just not as bad. How could this be fixed? Could it be a different gasket leaking or something?

Thanks! One problem, I'm leaking oil out of one of the gaskets, I replaced the gasket, and it's still leaking, just not as bad. How could this be fixed? Could it be a different gasket leaking or something?

• maxamillion125

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

What gasket is it? Are all the bolts torqued to spec? Try using some Permatex gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket next time. It makes disassembling much easier too. Also put some RTV Silicone where its leaking.

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

When you get a chance (a the next re-build) make sure you update that piston, if its original, those are the ones that go pop. :banghead:

Bad info tye, that was the 07 144 not the 08. However, with ANY used bike you might as well figure on doing a top end. Never trust the seller.
Joe...........

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:38 AM

I already have a 3.5 gal tank on it, I think my next move is putting in a heavier flywheel weight and an fmf fatty with turbine core 2, hopefully those things will help with bottom end power.

The fatty is a great pipe for me;) but maxamillion is right on, do some tweeking that is free first.
Joe..........

• tye1138

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Bad info tye, that was the 07 144 not the 08. However, with ANY used bike you might as well figure on doing a top end. Never trust the seller.

The 2008 had similar issues to the 07, you can read a multitude of articles on the subject by doing a quick google search. The reason why you never had a problem is beyond me, they ALL have issues with the rings clipping. From my understanding that wasn't resolved with the 08 144's.

Piston Stock 07 51530007000 I
Piston Stock 08 51530007100 I
Superseded by 51530007400 II (which is the fixed piston WITH the newer ring design from 2011)

So yea, thats why I suggest anyone who has a 144 to make sure it has the updated piston. The 07's have other issues with the cylinder and head which were resolved in 08. (per the other thread)

• 657pinkKTM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

i wouldn't say ALL 07/08 144s had that problem, from my understanding it was a batch of them rather than all of them. i put probably 60 hours on my top end before i replaced it. it did not seize, but didnt want to wait till it did.

enjoy your 144, with the flywheel and other things listed above it will be great in the woods. i would not change the exhuast, because the stock is fine but if you are riding woods a pipe guard would not hurt. www.ktmhutt.com has every part you can imagine.

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

The 2008 had similar issues to the 07, you can read a multitude of articles on the subject by doing a quick google search. The reason why you never had a problem is beyond me, they ALL have issues with the rings clipping. From my understanding that wasn't resolved with the 08 144's.

Piston Stock 07 51530007000 I
Piston Stock 08 51530007100 I
Superseded by 51530007400 II (which is the fixed piston WITH the newer ring design from 2011)

So yea, thats why I suggest anyone who has a 144 to make sure it has the updated piston. The 07's have other issues with the cylinder and head which were resolved in 08. (per the other thread)

You can not trust some other persons post in the web as fact and that includes me. There is no issue with the 08 144 piston or rings. There are zero recalls on my 08 144, none of any kind. Don't take my word for it call KTM, I did. This is a moot point on a used bike is it not? Also, it was never an issue with the piston, it was the rings. On the 07 KTM recommends doing a top end after ten hours. I have a great 125 engine I just built as spare for anyone that wants to trade a 144;)
Joe........

• tye1138

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Sadly KTM's part catalog, doesn't list the rings only, it just lists the piston kits, so I could only give you an example at how the 07 and 08 are only 1 revision apart, but KTM has made 2 more revisions very quickly after.

The reason why I don't trust anyone (KTM dealers especially) is, I've read A LOT about this subject and have seen MANY 08's blow up, just like the 07's. I have been a witness to it, physically seen the failure in not only my UPDATED 07 (with 08 components) but at the shop I use to hang at. Both MXA and Dirt rider magazines blew up their 08 144's during their tests. MXA said it was a bad crank, Dirt Rider didn't mention it in the article, but my friend Anthony worked for the magazine back then and said it took 3 tries for KTM to send them an 08 that worked. There are also plenty of threads on this subject on KTM Talk and lots of history to read through. I did my do-dilligance before buying my 07 and thats why I updated it to an 09 150 instead of just 08 components.

Its one thing if everyone was blowing up their 09 150's, but I find that not to be the case.

Anyway, I apologize for being stubborn on this issue, but my experiences have been different then yours. I'm sure there are many 08's that work fine, as the "updated" piston rings probably cycled through inventory sometime in early 08. But its worth mentioning to people that the 07/08 144's have "issues" and the 09+ 150's, have "less" issues.

• tkipp96

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

i wouldn't say ALL 07/08 144s had that problem, from my understanding it was a batch of them rather than all of them. i put probably 60 hours on my top end before i replaced it. it did not seize, but didnt want to wait till it did.

enjoy your 144, with the flywheel and other things listed above it will be great in the woods. i would not change the exhuast, because the stock is fine but if you are riding woods a pipe guard would not hurt. www.ktmhutt.com has every part you can imagine.

• tkipp96

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

My top end only has like 5 hours on it, brand new cylinder. And the reason I'm looking for a pipe is cause I bought it with a shorty silencer I don't like those much in the woods

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Sadly KTM's part catalog, doesn't list the rings only, it just lists the piston kits, so I could only give you an example at how the 07 and 08 are only 1 revision apart, but KTM has made 2 more revisions very quickly after.

The reason why I don't trust anyone (KTM dealers especially) is, I've read A LOT about this subject and have seen MANY 08's blow up, just like the 07's. I have been a witness to it, physically seen the failure in not only my UPDATED 07 (with 08 components) but at the shop I use to hang at. Both MXA and Dirt rider magazines blew up their 08 144's during their tests. MXA said it was a bad crank, Dirt Rider didn't mention it in the article, but my friend Anthony worked for the magazine back then and said it took 3 tries for KTM to send them an 08 that worked. There are also plenty of threads on this subject on KTM Talk and lots of history to read through. I did my do-dilligance before buying my 07 and thats why I updated it to an 09 150 instead of just 08 components.

Its one thing if everyone was blowing up their 09 150's, but I find that not to be the case.

Anyway, I apologize for being stubborn on this issue, but my experiences have been different then yours. I'm sure there are many 08's that work fine, as the "updated" piston rings probably cycled through inventory sometime in early 08. But its worth mentioning to people that the 07/08 144's have "issues" and the 09+ 150's, have "less" issues.

Fair enough;) I am sure I would have a very different opinion if my 144 had a bunch of problems.
Joe............

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

My top end only has like 5 hours on it, brand new cylinder. And the reason I'm looking for a pipe is cause I bought it with a shorty silencer I don't like those much in the woods

I'm running a shorty now and it is a bit loud with no sparky but the top end feels great. I just talked to FMF today (had to order some stuff up) and I asked about the 150 pipe. They have a fatty that I am sure I will be ordering up for the kids 2010 150 soon. I would be very interested to see the differences in the 144, 150, and FMF pipes.
Joe............

Edited by JoeMcLaughlin, 08 May 2012 - 05:46 PM.

• tye1138

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hey Joe, Do you get MXA by any chance? There is this sweet new Italian exhausts made for KTM's that LOOKS like factory stuff. Its in the most recent issue of MXA, I forgot the name of the exhaust.

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

No I do not. Besides we are FMF riders so we use nothing but FMF exhaust products.
Joe......

• Fretburner

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hey Joe, Do you get MXA by any chance? There is this sweet new Italian exhausts made for KTM's that LOOKS like factory stuff. Its in the most recent issue of MXA, I forgot the name of the exhaust.

Would the exhaust company you are thinking of from Italy be "Scalvini" by chance? I saw one recently on Craigslist for sale, and it's completely made of carbon fiber. It looks amazing.

• tye1138

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yep its Scalvini, I'm getting a hard-on just lookin' at it! I want one SOOOO badly!

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.