high temp silicone as exhaust o rings?

7 replies to this topic
  • nwsmith89

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

just as the tittle says does it work?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dhdrider

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

You still need o-rings even if you use silicone. Have you tried over-sized rings? What bike are you talking about? If it's the 250/300, there is an over-sized ring you can use that will typically solve your issues w/o using silicone.

• nwsmith89

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

its a 2000 125 sx. the o rings will be here tomorrow i was just being impaitent to ride ill put sum silicone on with them just to be sure i dont get any leaks thank you for your suggestions

• Mudhand

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

I use high temp silicone on my exhaust seals and it works great. a thin layer works wonders, don't go heavy.
I have done this on an '09 xc 250 and an '01 yz 250. On the last re-build of the YZ, I could tell the difference easily when using old exhaust seals.

• JoeMcLaughlin

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Running without o-rings is not a good idea. Yes it will work. The problem is the o-rings keep the pipe from beating the hell out of the exhaust flange. It does not take much time to beat the exhaust flange. Here is a pic of the damage you do not want. Mark on ktmtalk sells the o-rings in bulk. I like to buy a bunch so I have plenty and keep them fresh.
Joe........
Extra large link: http://www.tripleate...-1/DSCN9839.JPG

Posted Image

• highmarker

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

high temp wont last at the head pipe, too hot, Might get a ride or two out of it, The orange high temp will turn to powder, the copper silcone has a lower temp rating but leaves more of a gummy residue so sometime can stay sealed longer, I've used teflon tape in conjunction with silicon and orings and that has helped too. Had machines that it was just part of maintenance to pull the pipe every ride.

• SAthump

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

+1 on Teflon tape, I wrap some folded between the O rings to build more "cushion surface" then 2 - 3 wraps over the O rings keeping it tight. Works good so far plus not messy and no set up time.

• SkiDaddy

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Red high temp over good o-rings lasts many months.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.