TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted April 29, 2012 - 06:26 PM

just as the tittle says does it work?

• dhdrider

TT Silver Member

687 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:49 AM

You still need o-rings even if you use silicone. Have you tried over-sized rings? What bike are you talking about? If it's the 250/300, there is an over-sized ring you can use that will typically solve your issues w/o using silicone.

• nwsmith89

TT Newbie

19 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 05:34 PM

its a 2000 125 sx. the o rings will be here tomorrow i was just being impaitent to ride ill put sum silicone on with them just to be sure i dont get any leaks thank you for your suggestions

• Mudhand

TT Member

56 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 02:56 PM

I use high temp silicone on my exhaust seals and it works great. a thin layer works wonders, don't go heavy.
I have done this on an '09 xc 250 and an '01 yz 250. On the last re-build of the YZ, I could tell the difference easily when using old exhaust seals.

• JoeMcLaughlin

TT Addict

3,589 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Running without o-rings is not a good idea. Yes it will work. The problem is the o-rings keep the pipe from beating the hell out of the exhaust flange. It does not take much time to beat the exhaust flange. Here is a pic of the damage you do not want. Mark on ktmtalk sells the o-rings in bulk. I like to buy a bunch so I have plenty and keep them fresh.
Joe........
Extra large link: http://www.tripleate...-1/DSCN9839.JPG

Posted Image

• highmarker

Get Help Now

9,372 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 07:56 PM

high temp wont last at the head pipe, too hot, Might get a ride or two out of it, The orange high temp will turn to powder, the copper silcone has a lower temp rating but leaves more of a gummy residue so sometime can stay sealed longer, I've used teflon tape in conjunction with silicon and orings and that has helped too. Had machines that it was just part of maintenance to pull the pipe every ride.

• SAthump

TT Bronze Member

497 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 06:57 AM

+1 on Teflon tape, I wrap some folded between the O rings to build more "cushion surface" then 2 - 3 wraps over the O rings keeping it tight. Works good so far plus not messy and no set up time.

• SkiDaddy

TT Gold Member

1,329 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 11:45 AM

Red high temp over good o-rings lasts many months.
  • 2strokes_rule, PPG Real Estate and poldies4 like this
  • Like This

• gavalakis

TT Newbie

2 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 01:13 PM

I have a 2013 KTM 200 XC-W and unfortunately, my exhaust flange looks like the picture of Joe M's above. Do I REALLY need to get a new flange? Luckily, it looks like it's a replaceable part on my bike. But would rather save the extra $100+  Also, with new o-rings, will that seal up properly?

• HondaH8r904

TT Gold Member

1,338 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:42 PM

I Usually got about 10 hours with the kreft o rings and PC pipe. Hoping to get more with the bills

• gavalakis

TT Newbie

2 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 03:11 PM

10 hours? That's IT? That's 2, MAYBE 3 rides. And then you have to change the O-rings? That seems...not quite right. But thanks for input.

Any comments about the scored flange?

• HondaH8r904

TT Gold Member

1,338 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 03:25 PM

10 hours? That's IT? That's 2, MAYBE 3 rides. And then you have to change the O-rings? That seems...not quite right. But thanks for input.

Any comments about the scored flange?

probably closer to 8-10 rides. I can usually get an hour of hard riding with a tank of gas. Same with racing mx. 2 10 minute practices then 2 15 minute motos.

• markit

TT Addict

3,175 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 11:18 PM

Been using it for years, put it on and let it cure overnight .

• 2strokes_rule

TT Gold Member

1,453 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Red high temp over good o-rings lasts many months.

I use the stuff from Harbor Freight and it last until I take it apart...usually about a year. I put a small bead between the two orings and slide her in. Really helps seal things up there, even when the pipe gets a bit kinked up.

• peaceofwork

TT Platinum Member

1,575 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 09:59 AM

I have used sealing rope for stove doors , its immune to high heat and comes in different sizes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.