Critique me please

8 replies to this topic
  • 305TID

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Ok Im not making excuses but the track was very rough from a storm, so they did not groom it from the day before.

Critique away:

Edited by 305TID, 29 April 2012 - 05:42 PM.

• tye1138

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Well, generally speaking, the track clearly looked a bit wet and muddy, so its hard to analyze in that situation.

However, if I were to pick up on one thing that clearly stood out; your clutch work was interesting. It seemed like you were constantly on the clutch holding it in, feathering it or using it for shifting up and down. All I heard was clutch slipping the entire time, sometimes exiting a corner, you'd pull it in too far or release it too much and have to compensate a few times, causing you to not only slow down, but also loose traction (confidence).

Obviously there are lots of other issues, but I do think they are more related to the track condition, rather then your riding abilities. Lots of coasting up to corners, lots of single speed riding through sections and of course, you're spending too much time looking at the front tire. When you're in the corner, look at the exit, don't keep looking at the ground.

So post a video of a nice dry track, that way it will be easier to give you notes. :banghead:

• eotrampman

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

That track looks awesome! Looks like a lot of different choices for all skill levels. Entry speed and exit seemed the same. Get the timing down so there isn't as much off time before u are powering out. The rest as far as jumps will come with time. Throttle control with time just brings confidence. Doing good

I really wanted to comment on the track because that looks really fun. I can watch track vids all day night long.

• kx910

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're holding the throttle a little too low. You want to put youre arm up higher and grab the throttle like a door knob so that you don't have any problems pinning it. This should also help you with jumping confidence. I used to sometimes come off of jumps standing up, and then wind up nearly chopping the throttle at the takeoff, which would throw me into an endo. If you hold the throttle in a better position, you shouldn't have any problems with throttle control off of jumps. (or corners, or anything else). At first, you may get whisky throttle more often, but you will gain throttle control with time. Just keep those finger(s) on the clutch so that you can pull it in quickly in the case of bad whisky throttle.

• noysy1

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Mate that track looks good haha, compared too the track/tracks here (Australia) this is not me by the way. But you have a pritty good track at your hands.

• 305TID

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well there was a huge storm the night before. So the track was rough and the mud was really bogging down the bike. Therefore I was on the clutch a lot. But coming out of corners how should I do it? Do I pop it or slip it? My bike has no bottom end to begin with, if you have ever read about the 3rd gen frame cr125s

• kx910

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Well there was a huge storm the night before. So the track was rough and the mud was really bogging down the bike. Therefore I was on the clutch a lot. But coming out of corners how should I do it? Do I pop it or slip it? My bike has no bottom end to begin with, if you have ever read about the 3rd gen frame cr125s

You need to feather it. If you learn to carry more speed in those corners, you shouldn't have any problems with the bike bogging. Just make sure you shift and use 2nd gear on harder corners. If you stay in 3rd, you will have some trouble keeping the power you need to exit the corners. My bike is about 11 years old (2001 kx125), and it never boggs down because I've learned when to shift. And my bike has literally no power at all. So go faster in the corners, be harder on the throttle, use the right gear, and feather the clutch. You only need to slip the clutch on really tight corners.

• tye1138

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

I've ridden those older CR's, they're pretty bad in the motor department. It sucks too because they've got a good chassis and OK suspension, but the motor is just suck!

Here is my feathering video... so you can hear the motor RPM's and how the clutch work plays a role in it. Notice how the RPM's never spike during the feather, but stay pretty consistent.

http://tye1138.com/stuff/clutch.mp4

• motoxhead

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

You need to work on carrying your speed around the track. You don't really need to worry about the bike bogging as your letting off too early before the corners and not braking very hard. Focus would better be spend on smoothing out your throttle management and just worrying about the sensation of speed. Sorry to be direct but your just popping the throttle once the bike is straight. It has a whole range of use that needs to dialed on and off around the corners specifically. Good luck.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.