It has a coulpe quarks so far

17 replies to this topic
  • allterra

Posted April 29, 2012 - 03:52 PM

It's finally here. I have my 07 WR 450. I rode it for about 10min today and found a few things out.
  • I was told it had an autoclutch. I was thinking it was a Rekluse but it turns out it has a Revloc. I have read up on the Rekluse but have not been able to look up the Revloc as of yet. There is no indicatation of a model on it that I can tell. the clutch lever works but there is no pressure almost like it has no cable attached. It seems to work fine, I've never had an autoclutch before so I don't know what to look for.
  • It dose have a poping on the decell. I don't know what the jetting is it appears to have the stock exhaust with the peashooter taken out. I have noticed that there is some "carbon streaking" looking stuff from under the cap on the can of the slipon.
Well back to dig in to my new baby and see what else I can find out about it. I am so excited I feel like a kid again.

any help and guidance would be apperciated thank you.

• Stealth13

Posted April 30, 2012 - 06:22 AM

Lots of them pop on decel, mine does it every time.

My friend has a recluse and it has no clutch lever, I guess the previous owner relocated the foot brake to the left handle

• Pooley

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Lots of popping is typically too lean on the fuelscrew or pilot jet. If you have an adjustable fuel screw, turn it out (richen) to see if the popping goes away. If you have to go more than about 2.5-3.0 turns out, your pilot is too lean. Refer to the "How to tune your pilot jet" sticky for the proper way to do this.

Now, some light, popping is OK, but if it is excessively loud and sounds like a gunshot, that is bad.

• allterra

Posted April 30, 2012 - 12:32 PM

I took it out today. I was out for 6+hours GPS said 4+ hours of movement and an average speed of 8.5mph max speed 63.2mph with 38mi total. That took 1/2 a tank of gas. I managed to let the bars touch the ground 5 times. no damage to the bike or myself. which may account for the loss of some coolant. I can tell you after not being in the trails for 3 years I am way out of condition. The poping on the decel has gone away no work done on it by me. as for the clutch setup. I still use the clutch lever like I had on the YZ but I did notice that it did not give me those "pop stalls" the YZ would have done. It might be the larger flywheel, gearing or the revloc clutch . I know I haven't gained any skill while not trail riding in the past 3 years. Tires, Well I'll just say they aren't the ones I would have chosen for around here, they may have been good in TX but not here. Overall I am very happy and very tired. I don't want to go to work tommrow, I want to ride.

• Pooley

Posted April 30, 2012 - 03:14 PM

The popping could very well be weather (air density) related. This would say to me that you are pretty well jetted, with only minor fuel screw adjustments needed depending on the temperature.

• allterra

Posted April 30, 2012 - 04:16 PM

@POOLEY I think you may be right, or it may have been the gas in the line and carb when I recieved the bike it was on res. I siphoned out what was left and put in new gas. Today it seemed much better.

I might have to try the blue wire mod. I haven't researched it yet but have seen a few post concerning the starting being easier on the button. Something about it fireing on every stroke? A couple of times today I had to assist with a kick. I've yet to check out the battery.

• Pooley

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Light blue wire mod removes the neutral-detect circuit and alters the CDI ignition timing to always be "in-gear". It made my 426 start a lot easier, and just to show my wife how much easier, I kick-started the bike wearing a pair of sandals. If you are going to start on the free mods, look at the O-ring mod, ACV and leak jets (if applicable) to your model year.

• Stealth13

Posted May 01, 2012 - 06:17 AM

A pair of Sandles? Last time I used a pair of shoes the lever went right through

• allterra

Posted May 01, 2012 - 09:50 AM

:banghead: LOL I learned from my YZ. I will always have protection on my shins when I kick it over. More than once I decided to start the bike in sneakers just to ride it around the yard. Next thing I know is I feel the blood running down in to my shoe. I still have scars on them from hitting the foot pegs. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YHGEORGE

Posted May 01, 2012 - 10:01 AM

:banghead: LOL I learned from my YZ. I will always have protection on my shins when I kick it over. More than once I decided to start the bike in sneakers just to ride it around the yard. Next thing I know is I feel the blood running down in to my shoe. I still have scars on them from hitting the foot pegs. :thumbsup:

At least you learned, some never do. Stupid is always and forever more stupid!

• Rocky739

Posted May 01, 2012 - 11:31 AM

A day without blood is like a day without sunshine,

I have been playing with mine to get it to be a first kick, touch of the button kinda bike. unhooked blue wire so it fires instead of cranking then went from a 45 to a 48 pilot jet and after tinkering with airscrew (1.5/1.75 turns) and installing a new spark plug she is 90% a first kick cold or hot and now I don't seem to need the hot start when warm.. bonus.

I used to do a stupid human trick of starting the shops old LC4 KTM with my hand, Never became famous though.. Can't imagine why??

• allterra

Posted May 02, 2012 - 03:54 AM

I have been playing with mine to get it to be a first kick, touch of the button kinda bike. unhooked blue wire so it fires instead of cranking then went from a 45 to a 48 pilot jet and after tinkering with airscrew (1.5/1.75 turns) and installing a new spark plug she is 90% a first kick cold or hot and now I don't seem to need the hot start when warm.. bonus.

I used to do a stupid human trick of starting the shops old LC4 KTM with my hand, Never became famous though.. Can't imagine why??

I plan on doing the same with my new one. What year is yours? I still don't know what mods it has but it seems to go well in the trails. I don't have it's book yet so I'm not tearing in to it just yet just in case. I could adjust the the shock,but I know once I break out the tools I wont stop there. I would really like to find out what Revloc clutch it has in it and get some info on it. I know it is not evergoing to be my hoped up YZ, but would always like more out of it. Heck If I could get my lawn tractor to perform like my daughters TTR I would take that out on the trails.

• Rocky739

Posted May 02, 2012 - 05:57 AM

I plan on doing the same with my new one. What year is yours? I still don't know what mods it has but it seems to go well in the trails. I don't have it's book yet so I'm not tearing in to it just yet just in case. I could adjust the the shock,but I know once I break out the tools I wont stop there. I would really like to find out what Revloc clutch it has in it and get some info on it. I know it is not evergoing to be my hoped up YZ, but would always like more out of it. Heck If I could get my lawn tractor to perform like my daughters TTR I would take that out on the trails.

Mine is a 2003 but I assume the jetting is the same with the main differences being how much you open up the airbox and how restrictive your exaust is. I cut the two upper openings out on the RH side of the airbox (left the lower part intact for some protection in water crossings), removed the backfire screen and replaced filter with Twin-Air that has the flame retardant treatment, and of course the snorklectomy. I'm eyeing some more spots to open up and trim also. I have the stock exuast but replaced the pea shooter with the GYTR one.
I did the full meal deal to my carb replacing all the orings, gaskets, jets, I put in the AP pump diaphram with the short pin available through Yamaha so it gives a full squirt. I replaced the AP spring with the heavy KTM SXS one (only time in history KTM part was cheaper, 5.00 vs 15.00 for merge racing one). I also adjusted and tweaked the squirt till it was just missing the slide (I had to bend the arm that runs against the throttle cam on mine a few .001" but thats my usual luck..) If it dosen't have a adjustable air screw get a good one as I think its one of those things that we will jack with constantly..
There used to be a good thread on here about timing the squirt using a camera to record and measure length of the squirt but I don't see it anymore. I did a slighty hillbilly version and changed leak jets till the squirt was slightly shorter than a 1000 count, ie; slightly less than one second. I ended up with the 50 leak jet to do this.
I studied a lot on here about jetting and chose to go with Krannie's? advice as it seems most people use the JD kit but I'm a firm believer in using OEM needles instead of brass aftermarket ones and I was able to order everything from Yamaha for much less than a JD kit. I can't attest to the needle and main jet yet (main jets in the east are mostly along for the ride anyway) but..
165 Main (seems a bit small, I'll do some corn field testing!)
45 Pilot (had a slight lean spot at 1/8 throttle and 3 turns on air screw, changed to 48 already, may need 45 in hot summer?)
stock air jet
stock power (starter) jet
50 leak
NCVS needle, 3rd clip (I also got a NFLR needle to play with, would love to know what the secret Yamaha AIS kit needle is)

Oh and I fliped the air cut valve over to disable it (I hear they were invented by the devil himself).
Now I have to man up and actually ride this thing in the woods.. (I haven't ridden a bike that weighs more than 25 lbs in 12 years, I'm gonna die!)

• MANIAC998

Posted May 02, 2012 - 04:50 PM

Rocky, I've got the GYTR needle, if that's what your asking for? I replaced it with the JD needle, so I've got it laying around. Maniac

• Rocky739

Posted May 02, 2012 - 06:31 PM

Rocky, I've got the GYTR needle, if that's what your asking for? I replaced it with the JD needle, so I've got it laying around. Maniac

Ah. They are not marked correct? I would make a small bet that it's a NFLR or NCVS as those have been the YZ needles of choice.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 03, 2012 - 04:00 AM

I'll take a look at it and let you know. One of the major reasons I like the JD jet kit is for the chart full of information on jetting the bike at higher/lower temperatures, higher/lower elevations, etc... To me, that information alone is worth the price of the kit! As you can tell, we go thru some elevation changes out here in Montana!!! Not to mention the trip to Baja last winter too!!!
Maniac

• Rocky739

Posted May 03, 2012 - 05:36 AM

I'll take a look at it and let you know. One of the major reasons I like the JD jet kit is for the chart full of information on jetting the bike at higher/lower temperatures, higher/lower elevations, etc... To me, that information alone is worth the price of the kit! As you can tell, we go thru some elevation changes out here in Montana!!! Not to mention the trip to Baja last winter too!!!
Maniac

Yea, yea... If your trying to make me jealous its working!!

I'm dying to do a trip to Colorado in the next year, thats one of the reasons I bought a bike as I never got a chance to trail ride much when I was racing due to time, money, and a motocross bike. Now I've got the time and a trail bike, just need to magic up some money!

• Rocky739

Posted May 10, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Haha! Was bored so I tried starting the WR with bare hands and was able to do both cold with choke on and hot starts with hands only!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.