yz426f starting nightmare

11 replies to this topic
  • mrweehorn

Posted April 29, 2012 - 10:51 AM

been for a ride on my yz426f today and had a total night mare . after eventually getting the bike started i set off and every was ok till stalled it and tried to start it again ... did nt get any where fast .... i knew that there was a knack and a procedure to follow for starting but had a time get used to it ..i ve only just got this bike and im new to 4 strokes . like i ve said i know theres a procedure to follow to start it, but still really struggled to the point of exhaustion. i could eventully get it started but don t want go through this every time im out for a ride... i don t know if its just me, not being used to it yet or is there something mechanical that needs attention that could be causing a starting problem like valve clearance or timing e.t.c

• RasmusDK

Posted April 29, 2012 - 11:03 AM

there is two videos that shows how to here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

the first time i took my 400 out I used all my energy kicking it too =) take your time to get it right and its child's play after that :banghead:

• RasmusDK

Posted April 29, 2012 - 11:05 AM

btw you should see the FAQ thread, its very helpful...

http://www.thumperta...ssues-and-faqs/

Edited by RasmusDK, April 29, 2012 - 11:06 AM.

• astre

Posted April 29, 2012 - 11:57 AM

after the first ride on mine I was ready to put it for sale...hard to start and a real pig to start if it stalled, after you figure it out though they are not bad to start at all....some people have different opinions but I keep my hand on the handle bar and away from the throttle when kicking to avoid the two stroke crank of the throttle when kicking...

• MNellis

Posted April 29, 2012 - 05:04 PM

The links that were posted may/may not mention upgrading to a decomp cam. I suppose some people ride for years without a decomp cam but do yourself a favor and spend the money on a Hot Cams exhaust cam and rid yourself of your starting problems. I us an '03 450 exhaust cam and starting is a non issue. I frequently get the hole shot or at least the first 3 through turn 1 on the Hare Scrambles I compete in.

Good Luck.

• mrweehorn

Posted April 29, 2012 - 10:18 PM

yeah an exhaust cam mod sounds good and ive looked into it . hot cams do one for this bike or like you said a 03 yzf 450 will fit in .. gonna get some practice starting this week before i go out again . might set the revs a little higher aswell to help against stalling till i get used to it. thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrweehorn

Posted April 30, 2012 - 10:26 AM

happy days , think i,ve got the knack of it now.... just hope i can apply it out on the track.

• Spartan426

Posted May 04, 2012 - 01:29 AM

Hey, i have an 02' yz426, and i went trough the same thing when i took it out the first time, :thumbsup:
once i got home i searched and searched and finally peiced information together on how to start the beast, and got the trick down, HOWEVER i have to say Make Sure your valves are In Spec, because it makes a HUGE difference in how easily the thing is to start, Once i shimmed my valves and learned the "procedure" (which i have my own twist to) this ting is a peice of cake :)

i can kick it over in my Vans (tennis shoes) and even wearing flip flops/sandles, 2nd - 3rd kick, no problem (from cold), who needs riding boots? :applause: (lol)
so just keep practiseing and make sure those valves are in spec!

(I've been meaning to make a video and put it on youtube that is about every thing of starting a 426/ any big bore 4 stroke, in one video so people will hopfully see it and put these starting questions to rest...However I havn't gotten to it. hopfully some time soon, or for sure in the summer)

Anyway, make sure those valves are in spec! :banghead:

Happy Rid'n!

Spartan.

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2012 - 06:49 AM

i can kick it over in my Vans (tennis shoes) and even wearing flip flops/sandles, 2nd - 3rd kick, no problem (from cold), who needs riding boots? :banghead: (lol)

Well, hopefully, you won't be showing off how easy it starts in your flip flops on the day it decides to kick back. You could end up breaking your foot half way to your knee.

The two videos already posted show the correct procedure.

• Spartan426

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:49 PM

Well, hopefully, you won't be showing off how easy it starts in your flip flops on the day it decides to kick back. You could end up breaking your foot half way to your knee.

The two videos already posted show the correct procedure.

I only did that once, lol
I know its not the "smart" thing to do, but I wanted to see if i could do it atleast once w/ sandles on. :) When I make the video I'll wear my riding boots. :banghead:

And the videos you posted are great, however this is the first time ive seen them, and there is alot of people on youtube still watching the old vids w/ not clear enough information, so I just want to make one that has alot of info and answers more questions at once. and clearly shows the "right" way. :thumbsup:

(Didn't mean to sound cocky saying i started my bike in sandles), I'm just happy I could do it, my hard work paid off! :applause:

• fastfreddie78

Posted May 14, 2012 - 11:05 AM

i figured out my 426 long ago...bought it new jan/'00. the biggest restart problem is when you have gagged the throttle in an effort to avoid stalling. you have to clear out the excess fuel. otherwise, the hot start button works fine. if i catch the restart soon enough after stalling, and i didn't gag the throttle, it starts right up with just a quick dab on the decompression lever...no hot button needed.
i love telling my friends they are welcome to ride it...as long as they can get it started. :banghead:

• 1fun426

Posted May 15, 2012 - 08:37 PM

i love telling my friends they are welcome to ride it...as long as they can get it started. :banghead:

that is a fun trick. no one has ridden my 426.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.